Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear parcel shelf.

Ethanedwards

The new Aygo one..it's pathetic isn't it. Anyone know if the old Aygo one will fit?  Cos you can buy them on Fleabay.

Or any alternative suggestions welcomed.

why dont you go back to the dealer where you purchased your car from and ask them

to try one from the previous model.

I think the problem here is the term " parcel shelf". In the Aygo it isn't really.  it is a cover for the boot space, not intended  to be a load bearing item that would hold .... well parcels. The one in my previous car an iQ was made from netting and in no way even a shelf.

• Like 1

No no you misunderstand. I don't want to put a parcel on it. All I ask of it is to remain attached to the pivot points and strings when I open and close the hatch  All I want on it is just Air.  It cannot even handle that.

If they made it out of cheese it would be tougher.  I will mention it when the car goes in for the first service.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ethanedwards said:

No no you misunderstand. I don't want to put a parcel on it. All I ask of it is to remain attached to the pivot points and strings when I open and close the hatch  All I want on it is just Air.  It cannot even handle that.

If they made it out of cheese it would be tougher.  I will mention it when the car goes in for the first service.

Your original post just called it "pathetic" which I took to mean you thought it flimsy. Now you have clarified that it keeps popping off the mount - that's different. If it helps , mine doesn't

Maybe just check it is fitted properly. You need to make sure it actually clicks home. Yo can "fit" it but its not actually secure. and a sligh gust will dislodge it.

Nevertheless I still think  its flimsy.

It was just a little too much penny pinching for my liking. How much does a carboard parcel shelf cost to make........

as mentioned it is more of a loadspace cover - from a safety point of view you aren't meant to have anything there that might fly forward in the event of an accident so they aren't required to have structural strength.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

as mentioned it is more of a loadspace cover - from a safety point of view you aren't meant to have anything there that might fly forward in the event of an accident so they aren't required to have structural strength.

Like I said it struggles to support thin air. It is utterly utterly useless. A disgrace to Toyota. 

8 hours ago, Dark Matter said:

Your original post just called it "pathetic" which I took to mean you thought it flimsy. Now you have clarified that it keeps popping off the mount - that's different. If it helps , mine doesn't

Maybe just check it is fitted properly. You need to make sure it actually clicks home. Yo can "fit" it but its not actually secure. and a sligh gust will dislodge it.

Nevertheless I still think  its flimsy.

Thank you but I am well aware how to fit it. I have fitted it properly it's just a pile of poo. The string clips pop off every time. It's garbage.

Now does the mk1 item fit the mk2 please?

is the Citroen/Peugeot one any better?

• Like 1

I think the new Citroen/peugeot one has a different mechanism. The whole shelf/screen lifts up with the tail gate nicely and the opening in the boot is wide. The shelf in the old Aygo is made of hard cardboard and lifts slightly when the tail gate is opened and has a tendency to cut or jamm the fingers if you try putting a largish shopping bag in the boot after opening the tail gate.

• 3 months later...

Ethan,

FWIW, I agree, the cloth cover is absolute rubbish! 

A) Keeps falling off rear clips

B) String clips keep coming detached

C) Whole cover has a tendency to remain in upright upright position after closing boot!  Very frustrating, as one doesn't notice until one is back in driving seat, necessitating opening boot, closing cover, then closing boot again.

Surely someone has noticed a sales opportunity here, and come up with a more substantial replacement product! If anyone has heard of a replacement, do let us know.

As I previously posted I agree it is flimsy and only really of use to stop prying eyes looking into the load space. But back to the issue that it keeps  “popping off”. I can only state again mine doesn’t do this – maybe once or twice in 18 months when I have put something in the load space that interferes with the cover when you close the hatch. So what’s different?  I have previously tried to help by suggesting that it can look fitted when it isn’t seated properly and if I recall the little clips on the end of the string have a top and bottom so in theory can be clipped on upside down .. but I would have to check this next time I use the car.

The are two obvious reasons why it pops off

1: Because the cover is flexible, if it is bent inadvertantly, the clips are pulled of the end of the supporting posts.

2: The clips are too soft/malleable, and hence don't grip the supporting posts sufficiently, and easily become un-clipped.

As for the clips at the end of the string, they are gripping a round bar on the shelf, so should not matter whether they are clipped one way or another, so to my mind they can't be clipped upside down. However, like 2. above,  they are too soft and don't give a sufficient purchase to the shelfand are easily dislodged.

Neither of the above conditions applied to the old rigid shelf. i.e. I never had it coming adrift from the side supports, and the strings never became detached.

This is grabbing at straws and quite possibly irrelevant.... but the clips aren't symmetrical.  Mine are clipped on with the two prongs at the bottom ... whether this is "correct" or not is arguable but the fact remains with the two side brackets pushed in until they click and the clips as I have them I don't seem to have s problem with it.

Still a flimsy bit of tat though ;-)

Nick,

Whilst I agree the clips aren't symmetrical, when they are supporting the shelf, the opening between the fingers is below the shelf, and rely on their rigidity to maintain grip and hold the shelf. As they are made of flexible plastic, their grip is too weak and they 'drop' the shelf. There is no reason for them to be able to rotate around the clip on the shelf, so I think I'll just glue them in place, as that will at least solve one of the design problems. All I have to do then is solve the side clip problem and job done.

All this kerfuffle because Toyota wants to save a few pennies - aaaargh

• 3 years later...

With reference to the Aygo flimsy parcel shelf coming off the clips try wrapping

electrical insulation tape around the pivot on the shelf either side.

On replacing it will locate more firmly this curved the problem on my Aygo

• 3 weeks later...

I don't even understand a lot of the posts on this. On my 2010 Aygo the 'shelf' seems to be black plastic with a felt-covered upper surface.

When I open the hatch the thing is swung up with the string, on the left, and often lifts so high that the recess for the 'hinge pin' lifts clean off the pin. Maybe pushing a bit of black rubber pipe in the pin might help?

I have noticed that you need to be careful when fitting the little noose onto the 'T' shaped string end holder on the hatch. If you simply hook the noose over the higher part of the T, it will come off all the time, so hook it around BOTH, which stops this happening.

I noticed that my shelf is cracked at the rear, left of centre, but as it's below the felt it isn't very noticeable. I will fix it with a strip of fibreglass bonded on the lower side, which will give it some proper structural support....but only when it stops raining. Fibreglassing is a PITA if it's cold and wet.

27 minutes ago, Hal Mercier said:

I don't even understand a lot of the posts on this.

The cover on the second generation Aygo (2014 owards) is different to that on the first generation (2005-2014).

The first generation's is like the usual cover in most hatchbacks - fibreboard or similar which is rigid.

The second generation's is similar to the material used in retractable covers (that operate like a roller blind) with a thin plastic tubular frame, and the tailgate strings clip onto the plastic frame. The cover is flexible and very light. The clips can come off the cover if something in the boot obstructs the cover, but simply clip back on, and a breeze blowing into the open boot can blow the cover upright at times when the tailgate is being closed - which means the rear view is blocked until the tailgate is re-opened, and the cover repositioned.

Hmmm. Glad mine's the first iteration then.

Mine is in the shed at the bottom of the garden gathering dust, so I don't have to moan about it. hope this helps ☺️

My first new shape Aygo, I ended up just leaving it at the bottom of the boot after one of the clips came off. I didn't even mention it when I gave Rosie back to the garage when swapping for Nancy, but from pictures on their website, I see they've managed to fix it.

• 9 months later...

Hi there,

I was looking to see if anyone else had this problem and came across this thread. My parcel shelf is always coming off. It seems to me that it's not quite wide enough to remain on the clips either side. And the ones on the string come of if you just knock it. Surely they could have made it fit just a little better? I feel if it was wider, it wouldn't come off at all. It's a great car, but I do find this rather irritating. 

Hi. I have the same issue. I feel the parcel shelf isn't quite wide enough to sit snuggly in the side clips, and the clips on the string aren't quite strong enough to hold it up. It's constantly popping off and ending up on the floor of the boot. I'm sure it wouldn't have taken much effort and cost to make it slightly more heavy duty. 

I was looking to see if I can find an alternative to buy, but I've had no luck so far

On 8/13/2016 at 12:38 PM, GowerMick said:

Ethan,

FWIW, I agree, the cloth cover is absolute rubbish! 

A) Keeps falling off rear clips

B) String clips keep coming detached

C) Whole cover has a tendency to remain in upright upright position after closing boot!  Very frustrating, as one doesn't notice until one is back in driving seat, necessitating opening boot, closing cover, then closing boot again.

Surely someone has noticed a sales opportunity here, and come up with a more substantial replacement product! If anyone has heard of a replacement, do let us know.

Totally agree with you, even with tape wrapped around the bracket where it’s meant to clip into doesn’t do anything.

It was said in tv show once that the load area co er was deliberate to bring cost down and weight.. 

I note the new Yaris GR has similar pointless “cover”

• 4 months later...

I found the problem with the cover there is too much side to side movement allowing it to fall from its mountings. also it is too loose on the mountings.

I rectified mine by making 2 extensions in my lathe to lengthen the pins and I made them slightly thicker so the catches would grip them better.

Result no more side to side movement and the shelf is very secure. Now it stay where it is supposed to. 

See photo

AYGO COVER .JPG

aygo cover 2.JPG

• Like 1