Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another 1ZZ VVTI engine with hardly any oil!

Konrad C

I spoke to a neighbour regarding his 53 plate, Mk2 1.8 vvti, and mentioned when he last checked his engine oil? He admitted he had not since owning the car, so we decide to check it. I also asked if he was aware that the engine can use oil, and he was not aware. 

When we checked the dipstick, there was hardly any oil on the dipstick, on a small amount well below the minimum mark! 

I got the small amount of magnatec 10w-40 and some Petronis 5w-30 oil and the owner poured all of that into the engine. Any reasonable oil or any grade is better than no oil. 

The owner is now wiser and will get more oil to top up. The car is in good condition but this oil burning issue is one that most people are not aware of.

It's now 10 years since the 1ZZ engine was modified, so facelift  Mk2 should be cheap enough to avoid the earlier versions. Also, remember that not all engines had the oil burning issue.

Last thing. Check the oil level! 

• Like 1

Hi Konrad,

Interesting post....I have a Mk2 1.8vvti on a 05 plate and it had about 12,000 on the clock when I acquired it,having now done 115,000.

I was aware of the oil burning issue and have monitored the useage,it did not use any at all up to about 100,000 but just recently I have had to top up regularly and it seems to be getting worse!

I wonder,can you keep these engines running even if they are excessively using oil,or is it time to get rid now?

Shame,a great car otherwise....

Hi Phil,

The most likely thing that may have happen is carbon build up over time. Regular oil changes will delay the problem and quality petrol. Also the valve stem seals may have worn. 

A few things you can try is to fill up with a few tank full of premium petrol. I have read in the forum that this helps. Next are additives like BG244. Pour this into the petrol to help clean the carbon.

It could be just an oil leak and blocked breather pipes. 

Now if the oil consumption is still high, the you may need a post '06 engine! I say this because that is when the 1.8 VVTI engines had modifications. There is also mention of the pistons not have the correct oil holes to help cooling and lubrication. The engines have a special finish in the bores and allegedly cannot be re-bored.  

All facelift Avensis will have this engine, and I have never heard of any oil burning issue.

I started on the cheap and basic fixes and worked my way to the more expensive solutions.

When you check the dipstick, where is the oil level, and how much do you need to top up to "Max". The amount of oil between "min" and "max" is 1 litre. Next check how distance travelled between the checks. Any less than 1000 miles (or it could be 600 miles) is excessive!

Search of oil burning within this forum or Google search, and you will find lots of information.    

Hi Konrad,

Thanks for all that info.I have been topping it up when the level has been just below "Max" on a pretty regular basis of late but I will do a more scientific check.

• Like 1

A technical Russian site I found has the info on the ZZ engine including the earlier oil burning issues, and the modifications and fixes: -

http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/04-01-10_rem_1zzfe_eng.htm

Most will know all this, but useful to share for others.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links