Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Extended Warranty T&C

Carltona123

Hi guys

My gen 2 Prius is eight years old and it has crossed my mind to change it - though for no particular reason.  Just cos it's getting on a bit I guess.

Anyway then I saw that BOGOF offer on extending the warranty - and the fact that you can bring cars with expired warranties (like mine) back into the system.  £516 for two worry free years seems like quite a good deal from where I'm sitting.

I phoned local Toyota and the guy said yes it was still available BUT none of the hybrid components would be covered - no inverter, no ECU's, nothing.  If this is the case then I'm left thinking what's the point of actually having it?  (I didn't get him on to transaxles or regenerative braking systems or  stuff like that though he did say the brake acumulator was covered.)

I'm calling i tomorrow to get a full T&C print out.  What items are likely to fail and should I check are on the list?  What do you all think?

Cheers!

Read the policy information yourself. You should be able to get a copy from the dealer.

I've been given more dodgy information than you would believe by Toyota sales and service people.

When I last had an extended warranty, there was a list of included items. This certainly included all the hybrid components.

On the other hand, some of the sales literature comes out on the total fiction side of truthfulness.

This may not be entirely Toyota's fault, as the policies are/were handled by a non-Toyota organisation. From memory, I think they were called The Warranty Group.

One member has recently had their inverter replaced under the extended warranty - 

The terms and conditions are covered on the website under what's covered and what's not covered - https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/warranty/extended-warranty.json

Thanks both.

Now Frosty I saw that list on the website and it certainly doesn't say hybrid stuff ISN'T included and I had heard other stories about inverters dying and being replaced under warranty - that's why I specifically mentioned it.  But Toyota guy said no it definitely isn't - and then (typically) he added "but the chances of the inverter going are pretty much nil  so buy the warranty anyway" or words to that effect.  He kind of gave the impression that because my car is on the older side I wouldn't be entitled to the same benefits as everyone else - though I'd be paying the same price!  I love that car but the thought of a massive repair bill out of the blue spoils it a bit.

Suppose you could pose the question specifically re the invertor with Toyota GB via the website

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Suppose you could pose the question specifically re the invertor with Toyota GB via the website

....and print off their reply (provided it's the one you want of course!).

Thanks for the input everyone.  I hadn't thought of contacting HQ to obtain a written response.

What I did do though was contact another branch of the same chain.  The person seemed to be quite high up the management tree and really on the ball.  They told me with total certainty that all hybrid bits WOULD be covered - inverter, ECU's the lot!  Just exactly the same as a brand new car.  So I said I'd phone on Monday to close the deal.  In the meantime though I'll email HQ AND call into local branch to try to get full written T&C's.

Thanks Phil - seeing the T&C's in full was a great help.  There is absolutely no mention whatsoever in there about any hybrid parts being excluded!  So it really does sound like my local Toyota service guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.  So I'll go ahead and buy.

My only dilemma now is which branch to buy it from - I guess it's quite a big deal for them to sell one of these.  Do I go with the local branch who, it appears, doesn't really know what he's talking about or the other branch 20 miles away who really seems on the ball!  On the phone on Friday the local guy was so adamant the hybrid bits weren't covered INCLUDING the traction Battery.  Then on Saturday morning when I picked up the booklet (scan attached) his face kind of fell when he realised the Battery (at least) definitely WAS covered!

Thing is - if I ever have to make a claim it'll be him I'm negotiating with!

Warranty004.jpg

Ooops - didn't mean to make the scan so big.

I bought mine direct on the phone from Toyota Warranty (administered by The Warranty Group). They were actually £10 cheaper than my local dealer. 

I may be wrong but I believe it doesn't matter who you buy from as all claims have to be agreed by the administrators before repair anyway. 

You might be better off giving them a call direct on: 0330 1003305 to ask any questions you may have. 

At one time, one could buy the extended warranty via the Toyota website, in a similar way one can buy Toyota Roadside Assistance. Nowadays, one has to buy via the dealer network - it doesn't matter which dealer one buys from.

At the end of the day, if there is any query over whether a problem is covered or not, the company responsible for managing the extended warranty on behalf of Toyota GB, which I presume is still The Warranty Group, can be approached by either the dealer or the customer, and they will decide. It won't be down to local negotiation.

Years ago we had an issue with a Honda that failed its first MOT on front suspension bushes. The dealer said the issue wasn't covered under the extended warranty. Honda said it was - and the issue was repaired under the MOT insurance section of the extended warranty. This was when Honda gave a two year new car warranty, so the extended warranty kicked in when the car was two years old.

Oh cheers Phil. I'll get on to them tomorrow. The gen 2 Prius does seem to be a reliable car but I've really been scaring myself over the weekend by researching things that can go wrong!

Well I think I'm sorted!

I phoned the Warranty people this morning and got put through to the Toyota department.  The guy I spoke to knew exactly what I was taking about from the get-go.  He confirmed all of the hybrid bits are covered and, without prompting starting reeling off a list, "inverter, ECU's, yeah the lot."  He said they'd be printed on the policy document - it was like a new car warranty.  Given that my car is eight years old I think two years' cover at 71p a day (or something like that) is pretty good going.

My only problem then was who to buy from; my local dealer who I've always used and through whom any warranty claims will go but who didn't really know what he was talking about or the really on the ball dealer 20 miles away.  Well in the end it sorted itself out; the really on the ball dealer failed to phone me up today as she had promised to do (turns out they're all the same then) and so I felt well within my rights to go local.  Arranged it over the phone - £516 for two years' cover.  Payment is taken in 12 monthly payments in the first year.

Can I sincerely thank all of you for all of your help in getting this sorted out - two or more heads really are better than one!

Well done - glad you've got it sorted to your satisfaction. Will also include two years Toyota Roadside Assistance.

• Like 1