Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Tourer 2009 on roof bars

Konrad C

I am looking at obtaining roof bars for very occasional use. I tried to help a friend move an item which was too big for any of the door apertures!

I have seen this on both Amazon and eBay from Micks garage:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toyota-AVENSIS-Estate-SPECIAL-SAVINGS/dp/B00W82UKQ2/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1461666809&sr=8-31&keywords=toyota+avensis+2009+roof+rack

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/361376555210?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

The fitting points are as the following pics: 20160425_150702.jpg20160425_150735.jpg

I will only use them to carry items under 50kg like ladders and the occasional awkward item that cannot get in the car. I am also looking into making my own fixing points that can use standard roof bars designed for rails. Justb keeping cost down since i will hardly be using them, and not for long journeys. 

I have ordered the roof bars, so when they arrive, will give a feed back. 

They bars are needed to carry a ladder locally from my brothers to my house, and also carry a metal bed head board that cannot fit inside the car. 

I am not keen on anything that creates extra drag, but short local journeys will be fine. Obviously if i have to use them for longer journeys, when there is no other option.

The feedback will be Wednesday or Thursday.

The roof bars arrived, and they were basically universal - not car specific! The good news is that they came with covers and locks. 

After initial setting up, the bars can be installed a few minutes, and removed just as fast.

P1020243.jpg

Once fitted the bars are firm and solid.

P1020242.jpg

My friends iron bed headboard is too big to fit it the car.

Since these roof bars are universal, I have lots of options later.

In my research regarding the Avensis Tourer. There is no proper roof rail fitted why?  

I imagine that there is a small but measurable impact on fuel economy at speed. 

Possibly aesthetics (designers can be prima donnas) when not needed.

The oem feet/bars are a neater solution & possibly more secure solution when they are needed with no chance of marking of the roof, albeit twice the price than 3rd party.

Again, not a Toyota only thing - Audi, BMW, Ford, Vauxhall etc. The Mazda 6 Tourer seems to be 1 of the few still with  a traditional roof rail as standard depending upon grade (i.e. you are paying for it as part of the grade) - the base grade doesn't have rails.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi. I bought a Menabo Tema roof bar set in micks garage for my Toyota Avensis estate 2009. But I don't think the fix points will work with the system. See pics . Don't under stand how the instructions on page 9 can work with this. Trying to put it on myself but foolishly thought I could do it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

7 minutes ago, ClareMan1 said:

Hi. I bought a Menabo Tema roof bar set in micks garage for my Toyota Avensis estate 2009. But I don't think the fix points will work with the system. See pics . Don't under stand how the instructions on page 9 can work with this. Trying to put it on myself but foolishly thought I could do it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mick sent me the wrong fitting, but these bars work fine. They come with covers and locks, but I did not use them. I can install and remove the bars quickly, plus since they are universal, use them on other cars. Once fitted the bars are very secure. As soon as they are not needed, off they come.

What you have looks more of a faff.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links