Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DAB upgrade from dealer

Think Different

I've recently purchased a 2010 auris T-spirit and was looking into perhaps getting dab added to the head unit.
The unit has a DAB button on it but obviously not the receiver or aerial.

Looking online Toyota do an upgrade "from" £230 online, so with this in mind I called my local dealer.

I have to say that I wasn't very impressed with the service, after about ten minutes the guy comes back to tell me that I have a hard drive model and that the upgrades are on mytoyota, after explaining that I was looking for a DAB upgrade / installation and that my model is a DVD sat nav he went away and quoted me £508 for a "retro fit".

I'm not paying this, as far as I can ascertain this model IS compatible and just needs a box and aerial fitted.
Has anyone had this done and should I try another dealer as in the past I've always just done this sort of thing myself.
The last DAB stereo I fitted cost me £100 all in so adding labour etc I was expecting about £300 to keep everything nice and stock, £508 is a joke and just not happening if it really is just adding a box and aerial.

Does anyone know anything different to this?

It's a 2010 Hybrid without USB and using dvd maps has the model code b9030

iirc there were 2 different retrofits offered by Toyota.

1) the add on box that plugs into the back of your headunit, uses the screen on it & retains full use of steering wheel controls. This is ~£400> for the part  PZ473-00212-00 if you look around. Try PartsKing on here with a PM.  edit: this looks "cheap" http://www.burrowstoyotaparts.co.uk/auris-hybrid-with-usb-dab-radio-pz473-00212-00-i2358.html

see the file that i have attached 001_DAB_RHD etc,.

2) later on they offered a cheaper option which was £229 incl installation but I don't think that this could use the steering wheel controls. I also think that the unit is /was probably made by AutoDAB

001A_DAB_RHD_PZ473_00212_00_AIM_001_843_2.pdf

:ohmy: wow ... 

Thanks for all the info, looks like I'll stick to streaming over bluetooth then, I'm not spending that much!

Might be a good idea to check first whether you can get a good enough DAB signal in your area? I've got a really nice DAB unit fitted as standard in my 2014 Auris, but around these parts it's only got two pop stations on the dial, and it loses both of those every time I go round a hill. I'm quite glad I didn't spend £400 on it. :biggrin:

I get a great signal in my area, I fitted a dab radio and aerial to my z3 cost me about £100 all in and was wonderful.

I was factoring in another £200 labor perhaps to get my auris upgraded, so £300 or so but £508 is a joke. I don't REALLY need it as I have bluetooth, mp3 fm mw etc but It would have been nice for a bit of six music and 4 extra... but its just too expensive.

I really don't want to do any mods to this car (at least for a year or so) as I was constantly modding and messing with my last one and a big factor in buying it was to have a car with all the bells and whistles already there. DAB is the one thing missing that I miss from my last car but it can stay missing if it means it'll cost THAT much!

• 1 month later...

Did you get the DAB sorted? I've got the same system and the cost put me off also.  I ended up getting a smart dab:

http://www.autodab.com/Product/SmartDAB.aspx

Cost about £80 if I remember correctly, and a 10 minute install. The provided windscreen mount dab aerial wasnt much use,  but luckily I'd kept the one from my previous car. I'd definitely recommend it.