Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hill start assist bleep on Gen4

thecaretaker

I've owned a Gen3 Prius and an Auris Hybrid. On those cars, when you press the brake pedal on a steep giveway, I got a bleep and the car held on the hill until you accelerated (Hill Start Assist)

On my Gen4, the car holds OK on the hill, but I don't get the reassuring bleep. Is this by design (Have they removed the bleep for Hill Start Assist) or do I have a fault? Any Gen4 owners confirm?

Check your manual. In that for the Auris Mk. 2:

"A buzzer will sound once to indicate
the system is activated. The
slip indicator will also start flashing."

I don't get a bleep on my Gen 4 Prius. The system works differently to the Auris and previous Prius, on these you had to push hard on the brake pedal to activate the hill assist start and the bleep would inform you that you were successful. On the Gen 4 Prius the hill assist is automatically activated when you remove your foot from the brake pedal.

• Like 1

Thank you GerryJ, I was worried something was broke. You have made me feel a lot better! Cheers!

21 hours ago, GerryJ said:

I don't get a bleep on my Gen 4 Prius. The system works differently to the Auris and previous Prius, on these you had to push hard on the brake pedal to activate the hill assist start and the bleep would inform you that you were successful. On the Gen 4 Prius the hill assist is automatically activated when you remove your foot from the brake pedal.

Sounds like they've taken a step back - had this on a previous car, and was a pain, as if the gradient wasn't enough it wouldn't engage - but you never had an indication until you're rolling back into the car behind, so always used the handbrake like you do in most cars for hill starts - only you can't in a Prius as its foot operated.

Barmy!

23 hours ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

...  so always used the handbrake like you do in most cars for hill starts - only you can't in a Prius as its foot operated.  ...

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow. Why does the Prius' foot operated parking brake prevent you doing conventional hill starts?

I do hill starts all the time with no problem -- obviously I use my foot to release the parking brake rather than my left hand. The bonus is I have both hands on the wheel.

I think Jon means you may not be able to rely on the Hill Start system working (on shallow inclines) if you're in the habit of using it rather than the parking brake, and that it's not so obvious if it hasn't engaged.

On the Gen 3 it's operation is very positive and you know when it's on.

On the Gen 4 it appears it's automatic, but not clear if a slight incline will cause it not to operate, although the creep may well be sufficient below it's operating threshold - something I'll check out when my Gen 4 arrives.

Of course, it's always possible it operates whenever the service brake pedal is released even on the level, in which case there should never be a problem.

I hardly ever use the facility here in (flattish) Norfolk, but it was very handly the other week in Devon, where I also saw a maxed out HV Battery for the first time on my Gen 3 (seen it before in Scotland on a Gen 1 Prius).

• Like 1

As you say PeteB, the creep holds the car on a slight incline and the hill start assist automatically holds it on a steeper one, so there's no need for a beep, it's automatically doing it for you, you have no choice........you will be assimilated with the borg Prius.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links