Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it normal or something wrong with my car?

Kiba

Hello their,
Last week I bought myself a Toyota Corolla 1.6 SR on a 56plate.

Now I have never driven a petrol before but sometimes when I start the car up(cold start) the car revs up to 2k rpm for like a few minutes and then it won't do it again.
The other thing is when I sit in traffic and the car is in neutral, at times I can feel the car vibrating (for a few moments), it feels like it wants to stall but it won't. I believe the revs drop just to under 1k rpm at that moment.

Is it normal? or not? 
thanks in advance for your help

Hi, 

Welcome to the forum.

Given everything is normal, it does start to rev on the high side because that is the auto choke etc  and when warmed up the tickover  will drop to around 600 - 650 rpm and it does feel a bit lumpy.

You may also find that when coming to a stand still, the revs stay at about 1000 - 1200rpm for a few seconds before dropping to 650.

However, a similar but worse situation can happen if you have had the Battery disconnected, then the ECU  has to go though a 'learning' period where the revs start very high and then drop suddenly at tickover to almost zero / stall.  As you continue driving it 'learns' and with 15 mins its usually back to normal.

Mine does exactly the same - dealer and various mechanics explained it's also completely normal.

The standard idle for these is between 650rpm and 900rpm from what I've been told too.

The idle on my 2006 Corolla 1.4 was around 800-900 - my subsequent Auris 1.33's are similar.

5 hours ago, Kiba said:

The other thing is when I sit in traffic and the car is in neutral, at times I can feel the car vibrating (for a few moments), it feels like it wants to stall but it won't. I believe the revs drop just to under 1k rpm at that moment.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, is that the radiator fan will kick in whilst sitting in traffic. This puts a load on the alternator/engine and may drop the revs and make the engine vibrate for a few seconds. If your car has air conditioning, it will do something similar if the AC is switched on.