Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2010 Yaris 1.33, wouldn't start.

oldie68

Tonight I got into my car, depressed the clutch, and turned the key until the dash lights came on. Turning the key to the start position - absolutely nothing happened.  No sound, no click, and all the lights stayed on. I tried it again, after turning the key back to its original position,same thing. On the third try the car started. 

I had a run of over 150 miles at the weekend, in daylight, so the Battery should be fine. 

Could it be connected with the fact that the key's Battery is on the way out? Occasionally, the remote unlocking doesn't work, on both the main key and the spare. I've got a couple of batteries, so I'll cha ge them once I've plucked up the courage. 

Since the dash lights are coming on, the mechanical function of the key is working. Could it be that a weak Battery means that the ignition part doesn't? Isn't there a transponder (or similar) involved? 

From experience on non starting cars, the symptoms you describe could either be a starter motor solenoid on its way out, or a dodgy ignition barrel.

The key's Battery only operates the remote locking, and usually the key contains a passive transponder which doesn't use the key Battery. Also, the immobilizer should only disable the fuel pump, so the engine would still turn over but not start if the immobilizer was playing up.

Best thing to do is pop the car into your local garage and they will do some basic tests to diagnose the problem.

As you say you depressed the clutch I assume you have to do that in order to start the car? 

I have had a similar thing on my iQ with the keyless ignition and it's as simple as the clutch not being pressed fully. The lights all come on like it's going to start but nothing happens.

Check the clutch pedal has free and full travel with no rubber mats or carpets pushed up under the pedal. If that is all clear there must be a switch on the clutch pedal somewhere that operates when the pedal is fully pressed. Maybe that needs adjusting or replacing.

Craig.

Thanks for the replies.

fordulike : I can't get a booking at my local dealer for about 4 weeks. This could be caused by the recall notice I've just received about the driver's window switch. If it happens again, I'll make a booking for this and the recall at the same time.

craggle : it's a possibility. I put new carpets in in March, and although I have (after a great deal of difficulty) the hook things fitted to stop them moving forward, the carpets are quite thick. Again, something to check should it happen again. 

An update. I've just had the car out again, and tried a few experiments. With the pedal a fraction of an inch above the floor - no starts. Push it a few mm down, so it's on the floor - starts every time. 

So the results of this small run of tests are :

Pedal slightly off the floor : 6 attempts, 100% no starts

Pedal on floor : 6 attempts, 100% starts.

So I'm a lot happier about using it now. Though I'll still mention it when I book it in for the recall. If I leave that for a while, they may be ready for the earlier recall, which I think was a possible airbag problem. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links