Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Estima/Previa 2.4- questions (Import cars)

I'm considering a import 2.4 petrol as most diesels fall into the hands of mini cab firms. What are the real world mpg's for the 2.4? Is it a interference engine and anything I should be wary of on a 2004 import? It looks almost like new. Are they clocked?

Not sure about the 2.4....I've just bought the 3 litre V6 Estima.!...get my hands on it in about a week (I actually bought it about 10 days ago so it's going through the UK/DVLA registration process)..and I reckon I'll be seeing around the low 20's mpg with higher 20's on a good run. I doubt the 2.4 will be much different (thought slightly better I would think)....but it is best part of 2 tonnes so you can't really expect to get mega mpg surely.?..I'm willing to pay the price simply to have the luxury.!.

I'm not too concerned about mpg as I only do around 4-5k miles p.a and wanted the V6 auto for that extra bit of oomph but with a smooth and lazy engine that doesn't get stressed.

I'm pretty sure the 2.4 is chain cam too....my V6 is a cam belt.

Any import should indeed be in an excellent condition....mine is as clean as a whistle underneath with no visible rust (typical of Japanese/JDM vehicles).

Yes, there are some iffy importers that will not always be quite as honest as they should be and clocking isn't unknown  so the trick is to deal with one that is reputable and has good feedback.

I used Kara at KV cars/AllJapanesemotors. in Stockport....check their testimonials if you need proof of their reputation.!

Yes, I paid more than I could have done elsewhere but at least I have the knowledge that I'm dealing with honest people who know their stuff...plus I get a guaranteed NO advisory MOT (they simply won't let a car go with any known faults or potential faults)...plus a 12 month warranty (most will give you three months)..plus a service...a radio band expander or new unit..a new cam belt ...plus a waxoyl treatment underneath and a kph to mph conversion.

Mine is a 2003 Aeras G edition..and pretty mint (Probably equates to a 3-5 year old UK car)....and I can't wait to get it.!

Choose wisely and you'll have a great car.

I'm retired and coming out of a Celica for comfort reasons ...been a great car but it's time to chill..lol..the captains seats in the Estima are a joy to sit in.!

It means I can stay with Toyota too ...my wife has a new Yaris..we like our Toyotas.!

Neil

Estima 3.JPG

Estima 4.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the situation wrt parts for these imports...I have a 2001 UK spec Previa and getting parts is very easy but my mechanic has warned me about 2006+ Import Previa/Estima models. I really would love a 2010 Estima Aeras but there is this concern about obtaining parts quickly and not at extortionate prices.

3 hours ago, irahim said:

Whats the situation wrt parts for these imports...I have a 2001 UK spec Previa and getting parts is very easy but my mechanic has warned me about 2006+ Import Previa/Estima models. I really would love a 2010 Estima Aeras but there is this concern about obtaining parts quickly and not at extortionate prices.

Couldn't say tbh...but there's little problem with getting parts with the earlier models..Blueprint particularly seem good...mine's a 2003 and the only thing I haven't been able to easily find a source for is a MAF sensor...don't need one..but I like to know where I can get one IF I ever do.

You could always do a "search" on the likes of Parkers or ECP and see what comes up.?

Thanks Neil...I think the pre-2006 Estimas are pretty much similar to the UK spec Previas (00-06)?

Its the newer models Im concerned about....I guess I will just hold on to my 2001 model for now.

PS i love the white Estima you bought......it looks awesome

Thanks...it is pretty mint and drives so well...love the smooth, unstressed V6 and the horses that go with it.:biggrin:

I know I pay for that at the pumps to some extent, but for me..it's worth every penny.

Wouldn't have a clue about the much newer ones though I'm afraid..post 2006...I doubt I'll ever need to consider one tbh.

so where would you purchase parts from for your vehicle (other than service parts) eg a new radiator or alternator.

Hard to define ATM...it's a new vehicle to me and I haven't yet built up a full knowledge base.

The likes of ECP are always a good start..they do list the Estima and for instance currently have radiators and alternators listed for the 2.4 Estima.

The 3 litre V6 may be more of a challenge but the 1MZFE engine is/was used in many other Toyota/Lexus vehicles so I'd guess there are cross references to be had.

As ever..the web can be your friend...I always think if I seek..,.I will find.:wink:

Neil.

I didnt know about ECP, theres a couple of others too....I suppose the last resort is always Toyota. 

Thanks for your help.

No worries....and yes, Toyota is always an option but of course they will empty your wallet very quickly.:biggrin:

I've found that eBay is often worth a look too...along with ECP and Parkers...but there are several jap parts importers in the UK.

Ive found both a radiator and an alternator for my 3 litre V6 on a quick search of the bay tonight ....don't need them but was just curious to see if they were available if I did.

Neil

Depends on your interpretation of "bad" surely.?

As per my initial post...it really doesn't matter to me as I don't do that many miles p.a. and I'm more than happy to pay the price for the smoothness and power it gives...if I get 20mpg-ish on average then I'm happy...better on a good run of course.

I don't see how anything much better can be realistically expected or achieved for 200+ horses and pulling about 2 tonne.

Your right foot has a bearing on this of course..:wink:

But if mpg is important to you then it perhaps isn't the right choice.