Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VSC TRC Engine Management lights on

richteex

Morning All,

The VSC TRC And engin management light came on last week and has intermittently come on and off, stayed on, gone off, back on since.  Car is driving well, MPG still good.  

Was thinking about buying a simple fault reader to see if I can pinpoint the problem.  Has anyone used one before and could recomend a make? Also are the codes generic or will toyota have specific fault codes and if so where can you get them from for reference.

Thanks All.

PS  I wander if it might might be the EGR valve.  I do clean this every couple of years and remember the last time I did it the same lights came on briefly but went off shortly after and never appeared again, until now.

Hi,

I had the same 3 lights come on when I went to Germany last year, the lights stayed on for 2 weeks until i was due to return home. Didn't see the lights come back, I am curious to see what that problem was. It did make an impact on handling. I had a 2004 corolla verso.

I only managed to find 2 things on a google search, the first was one person was quoted for a new engine and the second person had a sensor for the steering  wheel angle.

Sadly I didn't have my OBD dongle to read the code on my phone, I can't remember if I had left the Battery disconnected for 30 minutes to reset the code.

It was another excuse to change the car. ;-)

Fingers crossed its not a new engine.  Doubt the car would be running ok if there was a major fault.  Ive bought a reader so will update when Ive pin pointed the problem, hopefully this will help others on the board in future.

I have noticed that the most common reason for the TRC and VSC to illuminate is the EGR on diesel cars, and if one or both the stop lights are not working for both petrol and diesel. 

I assisted my friend when his 1.8 VVTi had the stop lights fail - 

I also use Launch Creader CR129 Pro that covers practically every car, and includes free yearly updates. I bought it from Diagnostic World for £185 - http://www.diagnostic-world.com/

It covers engine, transmission, steering, ABS/TRC/VSC and EPB.    

There are cheaper scanners but you won't get to cover all the features that the Launch does. Toyota Techstream is very good if you get a long licence. Bewareof buying from a dodgy source! 

iCarsoft do brand specific readers - i905 for Toyota/Lexus.

Basically you need a code reader that does more than just OBD2, so will cost more.

Beware of cheap imitators online! I used a recognised UK based seller that has proper contact details. 

Quick update.  Bought a U480 scanner from fleabay less than a tenner.  Worked starightaway code p0400 which is EGR.  SO will give it a clean and see how we go from there.

Thanks all.

It was strange how my problem lasted for 10 days and then didn't come back. Sold the car a month later to someone at work, so he would have told me if it had come back.  So would the stop lights just cause the dashboard lights to come on, or would it have triggered the traction control to be disabled?

I definitely noticed a difference in the handling while the lights were on.

• 2 weeks later...

po400

egr flow fault

this can be blocked or blanked egr valve

or faulty maf signal

it basically measures over a 50 mile or so period as a suspended fault code and triggers if it doesn't correct itself in this time.

if you delete code does it disappear then reappear after about 50 miles?

to explain better---  say egr was blocked

when car is driven and under conditions egr is meant to be open the maf should see a drop in air volume as egr is letting air in from exhaust that is after maf sensor,

this is monitored over the 50 ish miles and if not sorted itself out triggers the error code

id say trc vsc is related due to engine braking characteristics ( for deceleration via skid control ) are hindered by egr faulty  that's the ford way anyway

Cheers for the explanation.  My egine light was coming on and off intermitently for about 2 weeks and then went off and hasnt been on since.  Guess it was a sticky egr valve.  New seals arrived yesterday so will clean egr this weekend.