Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Auris Sr180 2.2 D4D broke down on Motorway

lzsteve

Hi Guys, hope you can help or suggest what's wrong.

Just been to Devon on holiday, done over 400 miles and this happened.

Traveling on M5 in outside lane about 70 mph and started to accelerate, car went off boost and engine management light, engine fault warning and usual other warnings as well as the warning bong. No boost and car was slowing down, made my way over to the hard shoulder and tickover was lower than usual. Set off down hard shoulder and it wouldn't do more than 25 mph, no boost, stopped engine and reset ECU by disconnecting Battery for 10 mins and tried again. Boost re-appeared but after a couple of miles down hard shoulder warning lights again and no boost. RAC man came out (15 mins must be a record) and plugged in computer. Exhaust gas rec valve stuck he says, and blanks it off. Still no better and recovered home. Recovery man says boost pipe come off or pin hole and yes I've had this happen before and same symptoms, but this time  RAC man says not boost leak and turbo working ok.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers, Steve

30 minutes ago, lzsteve said:

Exhaust gas rec valve stuck he says

Have you checked/cleaned the egr-valve?

Yes definitely check the EGR valve, i cleaned mine again today, 3rd time in 18 Months! (08 SR180) my car would stall at ideal or the revs would jump now and again. Took it for a short drive earlier and it seems alot better and power deliver is more noticeable and more responsive. Ive attached a pic of what it was like before i cleaned it, bareing in mind it was only 4 months ago i cleaned it last.

20160520_175857.jpg

20160520_175632.jpg

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. When the RAC man took mine off it was quite clean. I cleaned it last month at the last service.I think I will take it off and check it works ok. Funny though after he fitted the blanking plate the EGR the P0400 code did disappear after he reset the system. See RAC Diagnosis below.

RAC Comments Suspected Diagnosis – Verify all diagnosis with your preferred repairer prior to any work being completed or ordering any parts
lost of power found fault stored with egr valve blanked egrvalve off still no power requires recovery to
home address.
RAC DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM
System Type: ENGINE SYSTEM DIAGNOSTIC & INFORMATION
Name: 2AD-FHV - DIAGNOSE - 2.2L - 130 (177)
DTC: P0400,Exhaust gas recirculation flow

Not sure if it can be just blanked off. It should be disabled from ECU aswell. I think it can give that fault code because it's blanked.

Ok, now all fixed. EGR valve was stuck open wide. Removed it and took off back part (3 allen screws) cleaned it out and after a while managed to get it moving again using carb/brake cleaner and perseverance. Reassembled and cleared EML warnings, 30 miles later going well. About to do trip to London so will monitor mpg. Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Steve