Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Semi auto gearbox

morris116

Hello All;

I own a 2007 Auris 1.6 TR manual and am looking to switch over to a Auto due to clapped out knees . On reading several reviews I find that the g.box is not an auto, but the clutch is. Also there have been owners of this model with major problems with said g.box. As this will probably be my last car I want a problem free motor. Would appreciate any member s advice on this semi auto g.box.

Ps the vehical I'm interested in is a 2010 tr Auris 1.6 petrol

Many thanks

Morris116

The first generation Auris (2007-2012) petrol and diesel auto used Toyota's Multi Mode Transmission (MMT), which, as you say, is a manual gearbox with an automated clutch. They can be problematical and expensive to repair.

The hybrid, however, uses an e-CVT transmission, which is far more reliable. If you're definitely seeking a first generation auto, the hybrid would be the one to go for.

The second generation Auris non-hybrid auto (December 2012 onwards) uses a CVT transmission.

Moved to the Auris club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, morris116 said:

Would appreciate any member s advice on this semi auto g.box.

Ps the vehical I'm interested in is a 2010 tr Auris 1.6 petrol

We owned a 2011 Auris 1.6 valvematic MMT semi auto.  It's by far the worst auto I've ever driven.  Don't buy one.

• Like 2

I had an 07 Yaris MMT diesel then an 11 Yaris MMT petrol. Both from new. Neither ever missed a beat. To be fair I never did many miles. A 6 year old car!  I wouldn't buy one either. CVT is likely to be better. Regards.

• 3 years later...

Looking at 07 Toyota  1.6 auris semi automatic

80,000 genuine miles what'll I do any help please.

Any AMT Automated Manual Transmission except VAG DSG’s which are also problematic btw all those boxes are pain in ta,, take other members words and don’t even look at any of those cars. If you looking for an automatic transmission car just get Toyota hybrid, any model, any year is best auto transmission for everyday use, best especially in town driving, also most efficient too. I can recommend you to test drive a hybrid and then test drive a mmt auto and you will quickly understand what we all mean. 

Good luck 

• Like 1

I agree with other TOC members when they say steer clear of MMT gearbox, also agree with Tony above and go for a Toyota Hybrid with e-cvt. couple years ago no I bought a 2010 Auris hybrid, paid £6500 from a main dealer non-Toyota. Only problem we have had is the 12v Battery died and they about £125 to replace. The wife now drives it, loves it, and getting about 62mpg. I loved it so much I got a 2009 Gen3 Prius, same engine and hybrid system as the Auris. Had 100k when I bought it and 105k when I traded it in 6 months later. Why did I trade it in? Loved it so much I wanted “my car for life” (I was then 71), I bought a 66 plate Gen4 Prius with just over 20k miles. All 3 hybrids had the e-cvt drive system, reputation is second to non, so easy and relaxing to drive. Certainly recommend Prius or Auris hybrid on my experiences. Just be careful if you look at Prius if you have dodgy body parts. Prius is lower then the Auris, doesn’t bother me at all, and may not bother you but with dodgy knees do make sure you get in and out a good few times, and do take it for a longish test drive, not just round the block. When buying the Auris I was trading in a Qushqai which was reasonably high but previous to that I had to get rid of a very nice car after 6 months as it was lowand after 20 miles my right hip was killing me. I insisted on at least a 20 mile test drive of the Auris, we did approx 25 mile and everything was spot on. Just my experience.  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello everybody !

I am joining this conversation in 2021.

Here is my story. I bought a Toyota Auris semi automatic (non hybrid) year 2011 just recently .

I have had a Toyota Yaris for 20 years, never let me down. Anyway, I wanted something more comfy from the Toyota family.

Ohhh my !!!  I am learning by my mistakes.

When I drive in town (under 50km/h in general) it's awful. I can feel the change of gears  so strongly like it jerks like on a camel.

I also did not realise that semi-automatic thing (why would you buy an automatic to change gears...never realised that )

So here I am with this nice comfy car that I kind of like...only when I don't drive it.

I still have the old Toyota, not sold yet, but now I'm thinking...

When I drive the Yaris, the transmission is so smooth you hardly feel it (I did not feel it for 20 years).

I have read a post about this issue on this forum but it is an old one :

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/88197-e-s-mode/

Someone speaking about the ES mode, but I tried and I don't see what it brings.

I was wondering if this jerking transmission is adjustable by any chance.

If not, I will sell the car.

In the thread about the ES mode someone also mentions "going down to the 1th gear below 18km" and also "Toyota made a mistake in their MMT's software and this is odd behavior to Manual Gears in general-drivers in Manual never change the gear to 1th in speed like this, too high, no matter who is the carmaker and this also very odd in all the others semi-auto and full-auto gears. "

Can someone enlighten me about this?

Thank you !

31 minutes ago, Vanessa123 said:

Hello everybody !

I am joining this conversation in 2021.

Here is my story. I bought a Toyota Auris semi automatic (non hybrid) year 2011 just recently .

I have had a Toyota Yaris for 20 years, never let me down. Anyway, I wanted something more comfy from the Toyota family.

Ohhh my !!!  I am learning by my mistakes.

When I drive in town (under 50km/h in general) it's awful. I can feel the change of gears  so strongly like it jerks like on a camel.

I also did not realise that semi-automatic thing (why would you buy an automatic to change gears...never realised that )

So here I am with this nice comfy car that I kind of like...only when I don't drive it.

I still have the old Toyota, not sold yet, but now I'm thinking...

When I drive the Yaris, the transmission is so smooth you hardly feel it (I did not feel it for 20 years).

I have read a post about this issue on this forum but it is an old one :

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/88197-e-s-mode/

Someone speaking about the ES mode, but I tried and I don't see what it brings.

I was wondering if this jerking transmission is adjustable by any chance.

If not, I will sell the car.

In the thread about the ES mode someone also mentions "going down to the 1th gear below 18km" and also "Toyota made a mistake in their MMT's software and this is odd behavior to Manual Gears in general-drivers in Manual never change the gear to 1th in speed like this, too high, no matter who is the carmaker and this also very odd in all the others semi-auto and full-auto gears. "

Can someone enlighten me about this?

Thank you !

Hi and sorry for your bad experience, my short answer is get rid of this Auris and buy hybrid one, automatic transmission with clutches and actuators are horrible, jerky and problematic, very unreliable and expensive to fix. Your old Toyota has a conventional automatic transmission with torque converter most likely, these are much better in any way but efficiency. Many other manufacturers use similar to your Auris jerky transmissions in their automatic variants and it’s a good point to research before future purchase. Best to stick with Toyota hybrids for pleasure of driving, efficiency and reliability. 
Good luck. 

4 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi and sorry for your bad experience, my short answer is get rid of this Auris and buy hybrid one, automatic transmission with clutches and actuators are horrible, jerky and problematic, very unreliable and expensive to fix. Your old Toyota has a conventional automatic transmission with torque converter most likely, these are much better in any way but efficiency. Many other manufacturers use similar to your Auris jerky transmissions in their automatic variants and it’s a good point to research before future purchase. Best to stick with Toyota hybrids for pleasure of driving, efficiency and reliability. 
Good luck. 

Thank you for your quick answer. Booooh  well, I just bought it and will have to get rid of it ... I'm so disappointed... 😕 but thanks, it just confirmed all I read about it...

1 hour ago, Vanessa123 said:

Thank you for your quick answer. Booooh  well, I just bought it and will have to get rid of it ... I'm so disappointed... 😕 but thanks, it just confirmed all I read about it...

You are welcome. I also had bad experience with Toyota cars previously, I had to return the car on the same day I collected it, drove 50 miles and the car was horrible to drive, something unnoticed on the test drive before. I returned the car to the dealer and refused to take it home. Lost some money and time however I learned my lesson that not all Toyota cars are equally good products as with anything else really. You can try to exchange or return or anything else that suits your personal circumstances, or just keep it and drive it as is. We are humans and we all make mistakes. , we learn from that and we become better. 👍

18 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

You are welcome. I also had bad experience with Toyota cars previously, I had to return the car on the same day I collected it, drove 50 miles and the car was horrible to drive, something unnoticed on the test drive before. I returned the car to the dealer and refused to take it home. Lost some money and time however I learned my lesson that not all Toyota cars are equally good products as with anything else really. You can try to exchange or return or anything else that suits your personal circumstances, or just keep it and drive it as is. We are humans and we all make mistakes. , we learn from that and we become better. 👍

Thanks ! It's the first car I ever bought. The old Yaris is from my mum, so my experience is limited.

I have an appointment with a Toyota dealer in The Hague (where I live) and he will look at it to possibly buy it from me.

I bought it at a decent price, maybe I can even get what I spent or more. I hope so.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vanessa123 said:

Thanks ! It's the first car I ever bought. The old Yaris is from my mum, so my experience is limited.

I have an appointment with a Toyota dealer in The Hague (where I live) and he will look at it to possibly buy it from me.

I bought it at a decent price, maybe I can even get what I spent or more. I hope so.

Hopefully good outcome. 
Good luck 🤞 

• Like 1

Unfortunately you have found out what many others have with the awful MMT Vanessa!

Some years ago I bought, new, a 2010 Diesel Yaris MMT( excellent car, shame about the transmission). I did persevere with it for a time but had to eventually trade it in, which did mean a financial loss, because it offered no pleasure to drive. Terrible jerky gearchanges, stupid gearchanges e.g. change up a gear climbing a steep hill then the engine would almost stall without my intervention. Get to the top of the hill it would then change down.:laugh: Remain in first gear and require my intervention. Most of the time I drove in manual mode because it was so unpredictable and stupid. I could go on but it would become even more boring!

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 4:24 PM, mrpj said:

Unfortunately you have found out what many others have with the awful MMT Vanessa!

Some years ago I bought, new, a 2010 Diesel Yaris MMT( excellent car, shame about the transmission). I did persevere with it for a time but had to eventually trade it in, which did mean a financial loss, because it offered no pleasure to drive. Terrible jerky gearchanges, stupid gearchanges e.g. change up a gear climbing a steep hill then the engine would almost stall without my intervention. Get to the top of the hill it would then change down.:laugh: Remain in first gear and require my intervention. Most of the time I drove in manual mode because it was so unpredictable and stupid. I could go on but it would become even more boring!

Ohhh how horrible ! But that's the point, I'm not buying an automatic car to drive manually ! But it seems that there is no full automatic Toyotas anymore. I mean the Toyota Auris hybrid I drove in Norway was really OK, going up and down the hill constantly. I bet no Norwegian would accept what you went through considering their landscapes !

36 minutes ago, Vanessa123 said:

But it seems that there is no full automatic Toyotas anymore.

Your original Yaris, as has been said earlier, used a torue convertor gearbox.

Most mass market manufacturers have moved away from these as they are less fuel efficient. Manufacturers either offer automated manual gearboxes (manual gearbox with an automated clutch) or a CVT (continuously variable transmission) or, in the case of Toyota hybrids, an e-CVT.

Your Auris is an automated manual gearbox.

CVT's and certainly e-CVT's, are generally more reliable than automated manuals. So perhaps going for a petrol CVT or hybrid e-CVT may be the best way forward for you. 

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Your original Yaris, as has been said earlier, used a torue convertor gearbox.

Most mass market manufacturers have moved away from these as they are less fuel efficient. Manufacturers either offer automated manual gearboxes (manual gearbox with an automated clutch) or a CVT (continuously variable transmission) or, in the case of Toyota hybrids, an e-CVT.

Your Auris is an automated manual gearbox.

CVT's and certainly e-CVT's, are generally more reliable than automated manuals. So perhaps going for a petrol CVT or hybrid e-CVT may be the best way forward for you. 

Thank you I understand. I really thought my old Yaris was very much fuel efficient. I can drive 600 km with full tank. But indeed I drive 100 to 120 km. On my usual distances I don't lose much time actually (maybe 30 minutes more ) This is one of the reasons why I like that car so much. But it is not very comfy and has no airco.

But it is not so much fuel efficient in town, that's true. (about 370 km for a full tank big difference with long distance but Yaris are good "routières" as we say in France..."roader " ?)

I will definitely look into the hybrids or at least CVT/e-CVT cars.

• 2 years later...

I have a Toyota Auris 2011 1.6 Petrol semi automatic and am having issues recently whereby when stopped in traffic the car will not select correct gear and jumps into Neutral.  I normally switch car off and start again after a few minutes and it selects gear again.  This is an intermittent problem at the moment but I worry when I am driving.  Does anyone know what the potential fault might be as Toyota dealer can't locate an intermittent problem without stripping it down and costing me a fortune? Help please