Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TNS350 pinout for rear view camera?

Murk

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install a rear view camera into my 2011 Auris. I've put a lot of effort in it but cannot get it to work, so you guys are my final hope :)

I would like to connect the camera to my navigation system TNS 350 but the TNS 350 doesn't show the camera image nor lets me know that a camera is connected. The rear view camera is a generic 12V NTSC camera. I've already searched a long time on the internet and red all forums at toyotaownersclub about this topic but don't have success.

I've got a couple of questions to figure out why the camera doesn't work:

1. Which two pins on the TNS 350 should I use for video+ and video ground? Here is a photograph of the rear of the TNS 350:
    2016-05-22 15.09.26_2.jpg
    And here is a drawing of the 2 connectors that I believe contain the pins for the camera signal:
     Pinout.png
  2. Is it correct that the TNS 350 expects NTSC (not PAL)?
  3. Does the camera option somehow have to be enabled in a secret service menu on the TNS 350? If so, how can I access this menu?
  4. Where should I get 12V to the camera? From the reverse light? I know that official Toyota cameras work on 6V that is supplied by the navigation system itself.
  5. I've read that, when starting the car, the navigation system typically puts 6V on the camera and waits for a couple of seconds for a video signal. Is true for the TNS350? If that would be the case, I cannot use the reverse light as supply but should use the 6V from the TNS 350 to trigger a MOSFET or relay to switch on a 12V supply to the camera.

What I tried so far:

• I've read this forum and tried the connection from the photograph but that didn't work:
  • I found in the installation manual for the official Toyota camera that I have to use the 4 pins on the right of the 20-pins connector here
    Unfortunately the manual doesn't specify which ones are 6V supply and which ones are video.
    I've traced back the 4 pins on the right of the 20-pins connector to the pink, blue, red/white and red/black wires in the image above on connector A (connectors A and B combine into a new 20-pins connector behind the TNS350)
  • Tried the camera stand-alone on my tv - that works perfectly.

Anyone can help me with (one of) my 5 questions? Any help would really been appreciated!

1. If the connector on the right on image is a 16-pin connector, that is the correct one. Pinout here Also you need to connect the reverse signal to the pin 2 on the 28-pin connector

2. Yes, all Toyota HU's want NTSC video.

3. No.

4. I bought camera from aliexpress, and replaced the voltage regulator in the camera wiring with one that takes 6V on.

5. Correct.

Hi JarnoSe,

Thank you very much, that really helps a lot!!
One more question: any idea where I can find the reverse signal wire in a Toyota Auris hybrid (to connect to pin 2)?

Mark

6 hours ago, Murk said:

Hi JarnoSe,

Thank you very much, that really helps a lot!!
One more question: any idea where I can find the reverse signal wire in a Toyota Auris hybrid (to connect to pin 2)?

Mark

The pdf you linked shows the correct connector and pin on the fusebox, page 22.

Thanks again for thinking along! 
Unfortunately I linked to the wrong pdf. Apparently Toyota also has a pdf especially for the Auris Hybrid 2010/2011 that I have (strangely enough it was categorized in the non-hybrid category). But in there no fusebox connections are mentioned, only the 4 pins from the Toyota camera. 

But it looks like pin 2 on the 28-pin connector is already connected on my TNS 350 (see photo), but this can also be pin 13, depending on from what side of the connector you look... Anyway, to be sure, in the weekend I will measure if this orange wire gets 12V once I put the car in reverse.
2016-05-22 15.09.26_3.jpg

Update: Yes, indicated orange wire becomes 12V when putting the car in reverse :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've successfully build in the camera! :biggrin:
2016-06-05 21.23.08.jpg

For anyone who's interested, here some more information:
I used an optocoupler AQY212EH (the cheapest one from Conrad that could switch at least 120mA and had a nominal ON resistance lower than 1 Ohm) to switch the 12V for the camera on and off using the 6V from the TNS350 (a relay would work too but I didn't want audible clicks in the dashboard, a NMOST also would work fine). Luckily pin B2 (12V when in reverse) was already connected to the TNS350. Here is the schematic: 
Pinout3.png

• 7 years later...

Hello all, I see this is an old topic but I have a similar issue. 

I want to install a rear view camera on my 2011 Auris with the TNS350 radio. I can get my hands on a used original camera but I cannot see any wiring in the tailgate for this. Does anyone know where it is connected of which connectors I need?

I guess I need another harness (one with the connector for the camera)from the grommet but I am not sure. Can't find any wiring diagrams from it.  Therefor I wonder if the wiring for the camera is already there

Hope somebody here knows it

Thanks in advance