Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Touch 2go

jon palmer

Absolutely disgusted by Toyota's wanting in excess of £120.00 to update when I can buy stand alone sat nav's for £35.00 on Internet.

Factory fit sat nav updates are always more expensive than stand alone units, regardless of whom the vehicle manufacturer is. Compared to some marques Toyota's charge of £120 isn't bad.

my new(ish) van a Renault master didn't come with satnav.  It came with a bluetooth stereo for handsfree etc,

but

It came with instruction to download the "R&GO" app to my phone or tablet or whatever to use satnav and eco driving parameters etc blah blah load of crap.

sat navs are old news

when anyone with a smartphone or connected tablet can use google maps that constantly get free updates

9 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Factory fit sat nav updates are always more expensive than stand alone units, regardless of whom the vehicle manufacturer is. Compared to some marques Toyota's charge of £120 isn't bad.

Yes that's true but it doesn't make it right, after updating to new maps in 2015 and finding them to be still woefully out of date I now use the Sygic GPS app on my phone, cost about £14.00 with European  map updates every three months for life. No contest.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, revband said:

Yes that's true but it doesn't make it right,

No mention was made as to whether it is right.

Where vehicle manufacturers invest in bespoke versions of mapping for their sat nav equipment (which most do), they are going to recoup some of that cost somehow -  whether it is via updates or the initial cost.

Last year when we renewed our second car, the manufacturer  didn't fit sat navs to the range we bought from - instead having a smartphone holder that clips into the dash and where owners could use a sat nav app on their smartphone. However they smartphone holder uses a different dash panel across the width of the dash, so cannot be retro fitted or dealer fitted

57 minutes ago, jon palmer said:

Absolutely disgusted by Toyota's wanting in excess of £120.00 to update when I can buy stand alone sat nav's for £35.00 on Internet.

Currently on offer for £99 with latest map, new 2016 software update and 3 free map updates if you have Touch2 & go.

Can you update your profile as you don't have an Avensis T3 with Touch 2

Best of luck with that. Hope you are a computer nerd as it nightmare to install. Just managed to get new nav interface on but no luck yet with estore updates. Noticed they have changed download file this week so must be problems. Should have stuck to garmin easy updates only trouble with portables faffing about removing when parking etc.

13 hours ago, jon palmer said:

If you go to this site from just over 2 years ago, there is a list of update cost for various car makers.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/60665/watchdog-shock-cost-built-sat-nav-updates

You will be even more disgusted (if that's possible) to see that at that time for 14 different makers,  the Toyota cost was in the bottom 25%

1 hour ago, dew66 said:

If you go to this site from just over 2 years ago, there is a list of update cost for various car makers.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/60665/watchdog-shock-cost-built-sat-nav-updates

You will be even more disgusted (if that's possible) to see that at that time for 14 different makers,  the Toyota cost was in the bottom 25%

The article is 3.5 years old (Oct 2012), rather than just over 2 years old.

Not sure where you get the claim from that Toyota is in the bottom 25%. The article lists 14 manufacturers in alphabetical order, there are 9 manufacturers listed who were more expensive than Toyota, and the article makes no mention of a bottom 25%.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not sure where you get the claim from that Toyota is in the bottom 25%. The article lists 14 manufacturers in alphabetical order, there are 9 manufacturers listed who were more expensive than Toyota, and the article makes no mention of a bottom 25%.

well, 10th out of 14 puts Toyota into the cheapest 1/3 of manufacturers :wink:

Since several of you have commented on the comment I made, I feel I ought to expand on it a little:

The list has  14 car makers
10 are all higher cost than Toyota (inc Volvo after 3 yrs).

2 have min/max costs that straddle the Toyota cost.

There are at least 3 ways of looking at the ranking:

1   Taking the two straddlers at their min costs, Toyota is 4th from lowest of the group of 14, ie in lowest 28.6%.

2   Taking the two straddlers at their max costs, Toyota is 2nd from lowest of the group of 14, ie in lowest 14.3%.

3   Taking the two straddlers at their arithmetic mean costs, Toyota is again 2nd from lowest.

In summary I consider my statement of Toyota being in the lowest 25% is not unreasonable  - its neither the best nor worst case but is close to the worst case, and is a reasonable indication of Toyotas position in the ranking of update costs, at that time. 

The way you phrased the post - 'the Toyota cost was in the bottom 25%' - implied they were amongst the worst for sat nav update costs (ie amongst the most expensive).

If you had stated that they were in the top 25%, that would have given the opposite, and accurate, picture.

Sorry for not making it clear - but Heidfirst seemed to follow my gist without any difficulty ...