Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius Gen 4 Horn

Phil T

I test drove the new generation 4 last week and was impressed, until I tried the horn! I have heard louder in kiddies cars. Surely  this car has a proper horn or it that an additional fuel saving measure. If this is such a poor horn has anyone a improved the sound by fitting additional/louder horns? 

I must admit that's one thing I didn't try on my test drive - I was just so relieved it didn't have the horrible, cheap, tinny indicator clicker that so many Toyotas seem to have these days.

My dealer confirmed my new Prius did reach the UK docks on Tuesday, so it shouldn't be too long now - if it's that bad I'll certainly talk to my dealer about swapping it for a grown up's horm!

Looking at this post it could be a common problem, my Rav4 was rubbish. Looks like it could be an easy fix, though knowing Toyota this generation might need the bumper removed to do the same, as on the Rav4.

http://priuschat.com/threads/horn-upgrade-diy.88297/

The Fiamm AM80 is the same horn as the USA Freeway Blaster. About £22 on Fleebay. Will have to see what arrives with the new car. Always felt the need for a good loud horn after I was on the M4 late at night and a chap in front went to sleep. Drifted across 3 lanes before bouncing off the central reservation. Luckily he only got dents to show for it, a good horn might have woken him up in time. My meep meep had no affect.

This quote from the American site says its for a MK V. Are they out of sync if we are on the 2016 Generation 4  ?

22 hours ago, Phil T said:

I test drove the new generation 4 last week and was impressed, until I tried the horn! I have heard louder in kiddies cars. Surely  this car has a proper horn or it that an additional fuel saving measure. If this is such a poor horn has anyone a improved the sound by fitting additional/louder horns? 

I too thought the horn was a bit quiet, but if you open the window you'll hear that it's not too bad. The soundproofing on the new Gen 4 is very good. 

I'm sure the soundproofing is not that good, but I see the Gen 3 has twin horns same as my Rav4 so it could be, however the USA has the option of Toyota Premium Horns which are PIAA by any other name and a straight fit. I know the Rav4 hardly gets any attention with the standard horns, so if the horns are accessible without having to remove half the bodywork that may be an option. 

My Gen 4 Excel has twin horns. They are located between the radiator and the front bumper panel at the top, probably accessible by removing the top black plastic panel that is over the radiator. You can see them via the bonnet catch hole. Although they look small, mine are very loud outside the car.

FYI the soundproofing on the Gen 4 is excellent, a lot better than any previous models and versions of the Prius.

I see your sig says 2016 Prius, do you have one now Phil ? 

2 hours ago, kithmo said:

My Gen 4 Excel has twin horns. They are located between the radiator and the front bumper panel at the top, probably accessible by removing the top black plastic panel that is over the radiator. You can see them via the bonnet catch hole. Although they look small, mine are very loud outside the car.

FYI the soundproofing on the Gen 4 is excellent, a lot better than any previous models and versions of the Prius.

I see your sig says 2016 Prius, do you have one now Phil ? 

Kithmo

I have ordered mine, due July. Wishing and hoping! I would have thought that the horns would be similar to the Rav4's and they are as loud as my bike, ie pathetic, so I hope the Prius has something better.

I know it's slightly off-topic but this also relates to cheap and tinny sounds.

The fuel filler door - on the Gen 4 models I've test driven the filler door closes with what I can only described as a cheap tinny noise!!!

The Gen 3 we have closes with an almost silent, solid-sounding noise.

14 minutes ago, AEB-UK said:

I know it's slightly off-topic but this also relates to cheap and tinny sounds.

The fuel filler door - on the Gen 4 models I've test driven the filler door closes with what I can only described as a cheap tinny noise!!!

The Gen 3 we have closes with an almost silent, solid-sounding noise.

Yes, it's nice if everything sounds quality - but I can live with the fuel filler door being tinny, I'll only hear it a couple of times a month.

Until my test drive, I was dreading the Prius Gen 4 indicator click being as nasty as some other Toyotas I've driven recently, and that would probably have been a show stopper if it had been as bad.  Thankfully, it wasn't!

• Like 1

I've only opened my fuel filler door twice in two months.

• 1 year later...

Replying to this topic as I was wondering if anyone has changed their horns?

I am looking at a paid of PIAA DUAL-TONE SLENDER HORN KIT 400HZ/500HZ (TWIN PACK) H012 on eBay that in the description say "Pack comes with two horns, simply bolt in place of original horn and accepts spade plugs from original wiring." (wasn't sure if I could post a link?)

I can see my horns as Kithmo says through the hole in the bonnet catch, but cannot see what type of connectors they have.  I certainly don't want to be cutting any wires whilst in warranty so was intrigued by the description say it uses original wiring.  I am hoping I would be able to access them by simply taking the black top cover off as I do not want to start pulling the bumper cover off.

Any advice much appreciated :smile:

As 'Kithmo' has said the horns are more than adequate. The sound exits through the front grille where it is needed.

I suggest you stand at the front and get someone to operate the horn before you go to the trouble and expense of changing them.

Indeed, on top of far more sound proofing material than any previous version, the front windows have a sound deadening layer between two very thin sheets of glass - if you partially open a front window and look closely at the top edge (and maybe feel it too), you'll see what I mean.

And if it works like normal laminated glass, it'll resist attempts by intruders to smash their way in through a front door glass.

Thanks for the replies, but my main reason is to get a better tone, I appreciate they are quite loud outside of the car, its just I have always had high/low tone horns on my recent cars and I kind of miss them.

I may take the top cover off at the weekend and do a bit of investigation :unsure:

57 minutes ago, Harters said:

Thanks for the replies, but my main reason is to get a better tone

I know what you mean.  My early cars made in the 1960s had really nice, high quality sounding twin horns even though they were cheap (for the day) when new. During the 70s, they started fitting really cheap and nasty sounding horns even on some quite upmarket cars, and I didn't like it even then.

On a slightly different tack, my dealer lent me an Aygo a couple of weeks ago while my car had it's 20k service and had the winter tyres put on, and it had the unbelievably cheap, nasty, tinny sounding clicker for the indicators that I'd heard on some other Toyotas.  Even for the few hours I drove the car (which was nice in every other way, even had reversing camera, hill start assist etc. and was brand new, just 8 miles on the clock) it irritated me beyond belief.  If the Gen 4 Prius had such a horrible clicker, it would have stopped my buying it, unless some way of changing could be found.

• Like 1

I like the "meep" (rather than beep) sound of 70s horns, like my Morris Minor. IIRC they are actually tunable for volume, to some extent, by turning a small screw.

Yes I remember turning that little screw on the horn of my first car, Marina Coupé, then we fitted a love big pair of horns from an Austin Cambridge, they were great :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well I finally got around to upgrading my horns.... no more meep meep for me.

After recommendation I ordered a pair of "FIAMM 74100 El Grande" Freeway Blasters and wow what a difference and totally plug and play.

Only took 30 minutes, most of that time was trying to get them positioned with enough of a downward turn to stop any water ingress.  The wiring is quite tight and I didn't want to start cutting any ties to give a bit more slack.  I am happy that they are going to be ok as it all seemed pretty clean an dry in that area anyway.

Ordered direct from Amazon.com for the brilliant price of £25.38 and due to its price there was no worry about duty as import fees are calculated at the check out.

I have put links to before and after below... not sure why the thumbnails are so big :smile:

• 5 months later...

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but how did you access the horns to replace them? I'm assuming it's via the top black plastic cover? My 2017 plug in is a great car but the horn is terrible!

10 minutes ago, RichSH said:

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but how did you access the horns to replace them? I'm assuming it's via the top black plastic cover? My 2017 plug in is a great car but the horn is terrible!

Yes, very simple.  As you said just unclip the poppers and that whole panel lifts off.  

Be careful with the poppers as they can ping and drop down in the engine bay!

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:14 AM, PeteB said:

Until my test drive, I was dreading the Prius Gen 4 indicator click being as nasty as some other Toyotas I've driven recently, and that would probably have been a show stopper if it had been as bad.  Thankfully, it wasn't!

The indicator click is adjustable with the Carista, low, medium and high. So the click must be electronically created and not the click of the actual relay as on cars of yesteryear. 

Screenshot_2018-05-29-16-13-16.thumb.png.6d27bc57d321c0b729466cf782700bda.png

1 hour ago, thecaretaker said:

The indicator click is adjustable with the Carista, low, medium and high. So the click must be electronically created and not the click of the actual relay as on cars of yesteryear. 

Thanks, that's interesting, although it's only the volume that changes  rather than the quality of the sound - if it had the dreadful clicker of some other models, the only acceptable volume to me would be if I couldn't hear it at all!  As it is, not a problem, and I'm happy with the default volume.

It's surprising it's not listed in the long list of user/dealer customisation features in 8-2. Customization in the manual though.

• 2 months later...

The Fiamm FreeWay Blasters are AM80’s (the red ones are the same) readily available over here from a round £15 pp without any import duty. They run at 4amps each the originals 3 amps so they should be fine as a straight swap. The difference at about 15 feet is night and day.

You will need to make up a couple of spade connectors to extend the original +ve connector off the original horn (male to female) and female to a ring to bolt on one of the bolts for the earth. 

The arms that come with the Fiamms will need to be bent back to clear the front grill and cross member. 

PIAA is a bit louder but not worth the bother.

The horn clicking is dealer adjustable by the way.

PB030367.JPG

PB030368.JPG

PB030369.JPG

PB030370.JPG

That should read the indicator clicking is dealer adjustable, not the horn. It’s just a little speaker that does the noise. Pity we can’t change the sound. 

Oh and one of the PIAA horns the high note gave up after 9 months. Should have sent it back but it was pretty rubbish anyway.