Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I won't be using my car for at least six weeks.

oldie68

On Monday of last week (i.e. 11 days ago) I had a cataract removal operation. My sight's now clearing, and I can actually see slightly better through that eye than I can through the varifocal lens. 

However, my main problem is that I don't feel capable of driving. According to my optician, it could be another four weeks before I can drive, This is mainly because of loss of "depth" judgement. Where I live, most local driving involves driving close to parked cars on my left - something I'm not happy about, since I can imagine myself bouncing of them. And then there's pulling into gaps to let other cars pass.  

Would not using the car for six weeks have any adverse effects on it? There are others whom I could ask to drive it, but having to explain how to handle the six-gear, bl**dy awful gearbox might be a problem.

My driveway, shared with my neighbour, is quite wide. While their car is out, I could move it backwards and forwards a bit, until the engine warms up. This would at least change the spot it's parked on. However, how long does the engine need to run to put back the Battery power needed to start it? 

I've had a recall notice for the possible problem with the driver's side window switch, and I've booked it in for the end of June!

It'll do more harm than good running the engine for short periods. Are you able to connect a Battery charger?

I'd be inclined to start it and run it until the engines up to temp, move it so the brakes don't bind and the tyres don't flat spot, and run the air con to keep it all in good order. As long as it's not just started and turned off again and allowed to run for a while it will keep it charged. You could even Rev the engine a bit if you feel the need to (which will help Battery charge). In short the biggest danger is the Battery draining

Sent from the moon using telepathy

I'd run it for 10 minutes or until warmed up (whichever is longer) once or twice a week, and move it a bit (once down and up the drive) once a fortnight. Should be plenty - lots of cars are left at airports for a couple of weeks without a problem.

If your Battery is getting near end of life this may even show it up, which will be better than doing it when you really need the car to work. (If you really want to test that leave it 2 weeks before trying to start it :biggrin: )

Thanks for the replies.

bathtub tom : I haven't had a Battery charger for years, I'm afraid.  If it didn't start, I've got Toyota Club Recovery (or whatever fancy name they've changed it to). 

marty_c83 : I intend to run it for a while once I start it up. What I don't know is how long I need to run it so that the Battery can recover the charge used in starting.

MikeSh : More a case of across the drive than up and down it, I'm afraid. My neighbour and I had the our front gardens done at the same time, as a single job, and we can get five cars abreast without a problem. And as you remind me, I've left the car unused for two weeks or more whenever we've gone on holiday.

Re replacing the starting power: If it starts within a couple of seconds it will probably replace that within a minute if not 30 seconds. If it has to crank longer then it will obviously take longer.

However, with modern cars there are usually permanently live systems such as the remote locking system that slowly drain the Battery, as well as the natural loss a Battery has over time (and generally gets worse as the Battery ages). It needs running longer to replace that as well as the start charge.

Just for interest I have a MY2015 Yaris hybrid registered October 2014. I had to leave it standing for 7 weeks while I was in hospital / postoperative unable to drive, and expected the Battery to be flat as the hybrid is fitted with a very small 12v Battery. Much to my surprise the hybrid system started at the first push of the button! I left the handbrake off while it was standing and apart from slightly flat spotted tyres and rusty rear discs the car feels just as it did before I parked it up.

Thanks for the further replies :

MikeSh : I hadn't realised the Battery would recover so quickly, though I suppose the permanently engaged starter motor might help on this. To be fair to the Yaris, mine starts immediately almost every time, so I've no worries there. I'll run it for 10 minutes or so once a week, and change its position slightly. 

eyemdee : I noticed as I walked past it this morning that the front discs are getting rather a lot of rust on them. They've been that way in the past, when we've been away on holiday, and a few stops on quiet roads usually polishes them up again.

The rear discs of the hybrid version are hardly used because of the regenerative braking and so get very rusty, mine had to be replaced at 3000 miles due to persistant rust around the edges and a couple of scores on the braking surface, I posted a couple of pics on here of the discs.

2 hours ago, Peter S said:

The rear discs of the hybrid version are hardly used because of the regenerative braking and so get very rusty, mine had to be replaced at 3000 miles due to persistant rust around the edges and a couple of scores on the braking surface, I posted a couple of pics on here of the discs.

Yes, I am going to ask the question when it goes for its second year service. I cleaned them up a bit with the handbrake while on the move but there is still a lot of visible rust around the edges of the discs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links