Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

More things I have learnt about my Avensis Tourer 1.8 '09 manual.

Konrad C

I want to share a few more things I learnt about my Avensis Tourer. 

Toyota seems to have a adopted a few ideas, some I like, others which could make fixing expensive! 

We all know about the hated EPB, but I was reading about Volkswagen and the clutch slave cylinder and I did a check on my car. The slave cylinder is inside the bell housing as part of the clutch unit! That means if the slave unit needs to be changed, then the gearbox has to come off. That means if the any part of the clutch has to be changed, you might as well change the whole lot. Hopefully like my old Mk1 which never had any problems with the hydraulic master or slave cylinders, it will last a very long time.

Next the drive belt is single and only drive the alternator, water pump and air-con unit. Toyota have reverted to manual adjustment, instead of the auto tension of previous cars. Not a problem as this is similar to the 7A-FE. One bolt to adjust and one to lock on the alternator.

Talking of the alternator, the pulley has a freewheel clutch pulley. This is meant to take the stress off the drive belt, aiding longevity. 

My biggest moan is brake dust. The design of the early alloys on the TR. 

P1030745.JPGP1030746.JPG P1030744.JPG

The first is the front wheel and second is a close-up. The Third picture is a close-up of the rear wheel. It is nearly two weeks since I washed the car. The Apec brakes are good so I will have to do more cleaning. I don't want to try shields yet. The wheels are in need of care overall. 

Ignore the rust on the discs. It has been raining heavily this morning, and the moment I drive the car, they clean up.

Another thing I noticed is the scuff marks on some of the trim

P1030755.JPG

The door trim seems to be made of carbon fibre.

P1030750.JPG

The Passenger panel is similar.

P1030751.JPG

Passenger kick panel.

Compared to my previous car, this fibre material is not hard wearing. I need something that can help remove the marks.

The seats cleaned up well so not all bad. I will probably find something else.

• Like 2

Interesting stuff Konrad, they tell me those concentric release bearings on some cars are real pigs to bleed, just hope you don't have to do yours.   Re the brake dust, it's a cross we all have to bear, I'm anal about keeping alloys clean and it's the bane of my life sometimes. 

Hey-ho-hum, it's back to the grind I go. I'm fixing my central heating today, new pump and some ball valves. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TomdeGuerre said:

Interesting stuff Konrad, they tell me those concentric release bearings on some cars are real pigs to bleed, just hope you don't have to do yours.   Re the brake dust, it's a cross we all have to bear, I'm anal about keeping alloys clean and it's the bane of my life sometimes. 

Hey-ho-hum, it's back to the grind I go. I'm fixing my central heating today, new pump and some ball valves. 

That must be an older central heating system. Did the ball valves in loft tanks and the pump was done a couple decades back. Now have new combi system fitted. 

Happy plumbing. 

Totally sympathise with you Konrad C about the interior plastic trim and the brake dust.

Those door sill plates in your photo, like a lot of the lower black plastic interior trim, scratches and scuffs very easily - I changed mine with a new one (and easy fix, though cost £30-odd each from Toyota).

On mine, there's a black plastic trim panel on the interior that covers the lower half of the 'B' post. It's become badly scratched just as a result of the seat belt buckle catching it and am wondering if anyone knows whether this panel can be clipped on or off and whether any side airbags would have to be deactivated to do so?

Another gripe is the silver painted plastic finish surrounding the gear stick and through the centre of the dashboard and steering wheel, as found on the later models - this scratches very easily as well.

At least the grey alloys of the later models help mask the brake dust a little, but the dust still drives me mad - I hate it every time I tap the brakes!

4 minutes ago, Berengaria said:

Totally sympathise with you Konrad C about the interior plastic trim and the brake dust.

Those door sill plates in your photo, like a lot of the lower black plastic interior trim, scratches and scuffs very easily - I changed mine with a new one (and easy fix, though cost £30-odd each from Toyota).

On mine, there's a black plastic trim panel on the interior that covers the lower half of the 'B' post. It's become badly scratched just as a result of the seat belt buckle catching it and am wondering if anyone knows whether this panel can be clipped on or off and whether any side airbags would have to be deactivated to do so?

Another gripe is the silver painted plastic finish surrounding the gear stick and through the centre of the dashboard and steering wheel, as found on the later models - this scratches very easily as well.

At least the grey alloys of the later models help mask the brake dust a little, but the dust still drives me mad - I hate it every time I tap the brakes!

You are right about the B pillar trim. That is the first picture are the wheels. I did not describe the picture properly. The side air bag is in the front seats.

I will see what options Toyota supply for replacements, or cover all the trims. 

I fitted ebc green to stop crazy amounts of dust on alloys.

csc concentric slave cylinder you would hope this lasts as long as the clutch but ive had a Vectra 3.2 gsi v6 and the csc went around 80k miles. every morning the pedal was on the floor and needed bled.

2 options

mister clutch about 2k plus vat to do clutch kit and another 1500 if dmf needed replaced (wtf car was valued at 1700 during the credit crunch due to the size of the engine)

or

a nightmare 10 hour epic job to remove subframe etc etc to remove and check all parts and repair what was needed

turned out clutch and flywheel were ok and an LUK £100 csc fitted and rebuilt done the job. but it was a PITA of a job without a ramp.

seems over the years things have got more complicated and expensive , I'm not sold on the use of £400 harmonic balancers and £100 alternator clutch pulleys to extend life of a £20 belt----- stop start systems to reduce emmisions , think of the future problems of this system - wonder how many starters and batteries over the lifetime of a vehicle life needed will counteract any fuel or carbon savings.   oh ford smart charge silver lithium Battery and funky alternator system that is a pile of unreliable garbage,  £500-£1000 dmf replacements  when the old 3 piece clutch kit was good enough ( just build a decent gearbox for use with an upto 200 bhp modern common rail engine) any more than this power can get their dmf.. 

ok I'm droning on I just like simple fix and go lol

• Like 2

+1 to what Robster said - and you can add electric parking brakes to the list.

add the harmonic balance crank pulley on the Mk1, I had to change. Toyota wanted nearly £300, but I got a Febi version for £42!  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, went to Toyota to see how much a new lower 'B' panel interior trim piece was......and was quoted £87 plus VAT!!!!

Why are these things so expensive, particularly when they're obviously so brittle and easily scratched?

• Like 1

because at least 3 (if not 4) people [OE manufacturer, Toyota Europe/Toyota UK & your dealer] are trying to make a margin  plus there are costs involved with storage & delivery ... ?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links