Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ect/over-drive

dorion89v6

When should I have ECT turned on? The same with over-drive. Are there specific times to be using each? And why?

i HAVE THEM ON MY hIlUX.

ECT changes the rev position you get a gear change. So the car is a bit more sporty feeling. It will hold the gears for longer for beter acceleration. Possibly reducing economy.

The overdrive is the feature that takes away the 4th gear if turned off, for town driving if you don't want to let the car get into 4th repetitivly reducing responsiveness. Or Hills/lanes etc when you normally keep the gears low.

This is what I have been told. In MHO both are rarely VERY useful.

Although saying that, I do use both. The ECT on my Hi Lux gives it a better feel around town, its seems more spritely :unsure:

Someone else may think diff.

But that will give you some idea :thumbsup:

When should I have ECT turned on? The same with over-drive. Are there specific times to be using each? And why?

I have a 1990 4-banger. I leave the ECT on all the time...the car "seems" spirited, when off it is a drag. Now you have a V-6, you may not have the same issue. So, the best bet is to leave it on and see how it feels. You might get by be leaving it off and save some on fuel...

The OD, I use only when carrying a full-car....a rarity for me. But like John said, city driving might warrant it, specially the 40mph speedlimits..

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Gopal

Definitive answer

Keep the O/D on all the time, I don't even know why they give you the option to turn it off - Econ with no loss of performance - look at it as an extra cruising gear.

ECT - Only have it on when your 'sporting' it around.

Economy Patterns

O/D on/ECT Off - Most economic

O/D Off/ECT On - Least economic

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me in advance for this embarrassing question, but...

Where would one find the OD on/off button (or switch, giant lever, what-have-you)?

This morning I noticed the "O/D Off" lit up on my dash. I must have bumped something, but I have no idea where. I'd really like to turn it back ON.

I also have much fear of the process of actually looking for the old owners manual. :blink:

:lol: Ah, thus fulfills the embarrassment.

Yeah, so um...nevermind. I found the o/d button--right by my hand too. Sure enough. :P

In my defense: I've only been driving the car for two years.

In my persecution: TWO years, hey! And the car has been in my family for its life thus far.

:lol: Ah, thus fulfills the embarrassment.

Yeah, so um...nevermind. I found the o/d button--right by my hand too. Sure enough. :P

In my defense: I've only been driving the car for two years.

In my persecution: TWO years, hey! And the car has been in my family for its life thus far.

Only 2 years, have you found the accelerator yet!?!?! ;)

• 2 months later...

HELP :help:

I just bought a used Avalon and the OD light is showing that it is off.

Where did you find the button to turn it back on?

I don't see it anywhere, but then again, I'm not used to Toyo's interior.....had mostly Chevy's in the past.

Thanks!

Meli

• 1 month later...

I disable overdrive a) around town and B) in heavy highway traffic. Keeps me from overly braking downhill (tends to accellerate if left in o/d and getting way over the speed limit) in town . Gives me better control in heavy highway traffic, especially at speeds varying continually between 30 and 50mph, doing the accell/decell/accell/decell thing.

I've heard the argument that it's better to buy new brake pads rather than a new tranny, but I've had the car 160k miles and never a problem. Then again, I don't drive it hard.

I always have overdrive enabled whenever I'm over 50 mph.

ECT seems only necessary if you're an agressive driver (i.e., feel the need to cut off people, change lanes suddenly or 0-60 in 6.5 seconds.) I only use it when I have to merge quickly into highway traffic on a poorly-designed Massachusetts on-ramp.

• 1 year later...

:group-cuddles: I haven't been in my 94 camry for a couple weeks and bought it last month. But I am a little confused! I saw the etc switch! But never saw an O.D. Switch! I knew what the ETC WAS. "My Saturn has one" It's a 4 cylinder auto LE I think. Shifter is on the console between the seats. Now you tell me, I have an O.D. Switch and Light? Where? By my hand? On the end of the turn signal or wiper control arm? Really? My O.D. might not even be on? Please---Tell me where? Guess I'll go out and look for it when I get off work! Or read the owners manual "again" I missed that! P.S. My air conditioning button is stuck on. Guess I need a new button?