Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wind Noise

Rhianb

13 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

To all those getting a noise please as trial remove your Antenna and try again as Toyota have just released a Technical service bulletin about a wind/whistle type noise from the Antenna only on DAB equipped models.

Bulletin ref: BE-0042T-0417

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON

Some customers may experience and report that a wind / whistling type noise can be heard in the passenger compartment from rear of the vehicle. The noise is most critical at speed 60 – 80 km/h.

PRODUCTION CHANGE

Change DAB antenna to a modified one.

thanks for the heads up that works out to be aprox 40 to 50mph where mine is loudest, although mine seems to be comming from the left rear wheel arch and not the roof and also my car is going into the dealer tomorrow to have another look at so i will see if they know about it 

i cant find that bulitin on the internet, which site did you get it from   cheers

@FROSTYBALLS Do you know what is different in the design of the antenna?

5 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

@FROSTYBALLS Do you know what is different in the design of the antenna?

No I don't, but Devon Aygo may know.

• Like 1

I am getting this, I usually don't have the antenna on but fitted it over the weekend for a trip up to Edinburgh. Really noticeable as the car is so quiet without it!

1 hour ago, mrplow said:

I am getting this, I usually don't have the antenna on but fitted it over the weekend for a trip up to Edinburgh. Really noticeable as the car is so quiet without it!

yeah it sounds like its comming from the left rear wheel area doesn't it and not the roof, mine has been quiet since i took mine off two weeks ago, i would still like to get an official word from toyota as i would like to swap my dab ariel for the new design one. (as it only effects dab radio cars).

I'm curious as to what is so different. Mine as far as I can tell is quiet (I'm guessing it is obvious?).

Do either of you have the glass roof at all? I'm wondering if this makes a difference.

2 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I'm curious as to what is so different. Mine as far as I can tell is quiet (I'm guessing it is obvious?).

Do either of you have the glass roof at all? I'm wondering if this makes a difference.

no glass roof, the ariel has a solid bit near the top that normal ariels dont have but i cant believe that makes all the difference

It was just a thought, as the larger contiguous roof panel might resonate. On the glass roof version there is a roof support structure just in front of and underneath the aerial mount that might add sufficient rigidity to prevent any vibration/sound from the aerial being transmitted into the cabin.

This is what mine looks like (excuse the state of the car - I only washed it 5 days ago and it's already a mess - I don't know what is in the rain but it leaves a fine dust on everything):

Aerial.JPG

yeah that is the same ariel i got on my yaris, it is strange it doent make noise on your car. you seem to have an extra spoiler on the back that isnt on mine and also the glass roof so they might make a difference

It doesn't that I noticed. From your description, if it did, it should be quite obvious?

57 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

It doesn't that I noticed. From your description, if it did, it should be quite obvious?

yeah should be loudest between 40 and 50 mph with the radio off it sounds like it was comming from the left rear wheel arch area but it was defenatly the ariel in the end

Hi I have had the same wind noise my Toyota Yaris the garage have and still doing their best to find the cause.  So far we have eliminated most things and last week they took the windscreen out and put it back in again.  This has now made the wind noise worse.  Its going in again on Wednesday/Thursday to see if it can be resolved.

I have resorted to trying draft excluder but that did not help.  I have tried putting masking tape around the windows doors vents and Speakers.  My wind noise is left hand corner of front windscreen.  The only thing that I can think of is could it be air bag or dash board.  

I would appreciate any other suggestions?

As I said before the Toyota garage have been brilliant but we are all searching to find out what the cause is.  Thank goodness they  know how bad the wind noise is its like sitting in a wind tunnel.

when i was at the sea front facing directly towards the sea i sometimes got very loud wind noise at the front of the car at 20mph or slower and since taking the ariel off i havent heared it since even going down the same road every week

have you tried taking the ariel off, im sorry to hear your windscreen removal didnt fix the problem and if you have taken the ariel off i have heared some people talk about the pollen filter making noise behind the glove box. i hope they refitted the windscreen properly for you and not left any gaps in the sealent as it has gone worse

• 1 year later...

Has anyone found the bulletin about antenna wind noise? The effin noise just about drove me crazy. I know that by removing the antenna the noise is gone, and a big THANK YOU to whom ever discovered this fix. At one point I was thinking about selling my car because of the high pitched noise. Im not sure yet but it looks like the mast is being lifted off the top of the car(with antenna installed). Could be the mast nut is not tightened down completely allowing for a gap to form of a few thousands of an inch, which air can flow under. 

Has anyone found a workable digital antenna that will NOT make the insane noise? Again thanks to all for the fix, it could have cost me hundreds by taking my car to a not so honest repairman.

On 4/23/2017 at 6:32 PM, monkeydave said:

thanks for the heads up that works out to be aprox 40 to 50mph where mine is loudest, although mine seems to be comming from the left rear wheel arch and not the roof and also my car is going into the dealer tomorrow to have another look at so i will see if they know about it 

i cant find that bulitin on the internet, which site did you get it from   cheers

what is a modified antenna?

We don't have noise in our 2014 Yaris.  DAB radio.

Which years does this happen on?

Mick.

On 2/16/2019 at 1:31 PM, Mick F said:

We don't have noise in our 2014 Yaris.  DAB radio.

Which years does this happen on?

Mick.

No answer?

Our aerial is exactly like YarisHybrid2016's one in his photograph above.

Mick

Aerial.JPG

You can buy different antenna and screw it in instead of the original one. 

I once replaced an antenna, and the sound drove me mad for 2 months, it happened at 50kmh, and felt like i was doing 150. 

What was wrong with the original one?  Why replace it?

Which ones make the noise?  Our's is fine, and it is the original one from brand new.

Mick.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links