Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jap Import Yaris Kmh to Mph?

Vitzy

Hi all, just got my Jap import Vitz/Yaris (1999) and am wondering if there is anyway of changing the digital display to MPH instead of KMH? It's not a big deal but would be easier than me doing maths as I'm driving! Thanks for any help

In the speedo tunnel thing there are two buttons; One of them cycles the odo/trip meter and the other one toggles between dim/bright kph and dim/bright mph

HTH!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cyker said:

In the speedo tunnel thing there are two buttons; One of them cycles the odo/trip meter and the other one toggles between dim/bright kph and dim/bright mph

HTH!

Thanks Cyker, just tried that and it doesn't work unfortunately, sun is so bright here I can't actually see if it's changing the brightness but it's definitely not changing kmh to mph :-(

Doh... maybe that is something only the European ones do :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Doh... maybe that is something only the European ones do :unsure:

Yep that could well be the case, oh well was worth a try!

Hopefully someone else might have some other ideas... One good thing is that the jappy ones are RHD too so you might be able to swap out the speedo with a euro one from a breakers yard or something... It's surprisingly easy to remove!

Good idea! Thankyou very much :-)

Somebody asked this a few months ago, relating to a mainland Europe car. IIRC the answer was that only UK spec cars can change between kph and mph.

I guess Brits taking their cars to the continent is more common than the other way. Hard to imagine a Jap car going anywhere else until exported at 10 years old :smile:

On 02/06/2016 at 6:39 PM, Cyker said:

Hopefully someone else might have some other ideas... One good thing is that the jappy ones are RHD too so you might be able to swap out the speedo with a euro one from a breakers yard or something... It's surprisingly easy to remove!

Does that work though? On a lot of cars the speedometer (and a lot of other stuff) is controlled by the management systems (ECU, PCM, whatever) and the software in that needs to support the function.

It's probably worth a try, but be prepared to write off whatever you pay for it if it doesn't work and you can't sell it on/back.

I can only speculate, since I've never done it before!

I assume the KPH/MPH conversion is done in the speedo itself as AFAIK it doesn't send both speeds and the plugs seems to be the same.

I think there is more than one type tho - The Pre and Post-facelift speedos binnacles seem to be slightly different, and the T-Sport one is different again.

A surer but less elegant option is to buy an extra speedo, or a multifunction display like a Scangauge, that plugs into the ODB2 port which can report speed in MPH.

Thankyou for your replies, think i'm going to leave it as it is, just need to remember the conversions :-)

7 hours ago, Vitzy said:

Thankyou for your replies, think i'm going to leave it as it is, just need to remember the conversions :-)

The really posh thing to do is spend an hour or two on the computer making a neat, clear table of the main values (30, 40, 50, etc) in colours to go with your car. Get it laminated and stick it on the dash next to the speedo using double sided tape, so it will look good and be there forever.

A week later you'll be thinking "That was a complete waste of time :angry: " (because you stopped using it after day three :smile: )

• Like 1

Lmao!!! Love that :-) Yep...just need to get it stuck in my tiny brain then will be fine 

Think that you may find that the speedo must be calibrated in MPH and KPH to pass the UK MOT.......This used to be so but not sure if it is still required

19 hours ago, Red Yaris 54 said:

Think that you may find that the speedo must be calibrated in MPH and KPH to pass the UK MOT.......This used to be so but not sure if it is still required

As it's an import it has presumably already been through IVA, which is much stiffer than MoT. If not yet then that is where it might be raised.

The MoT itself only checks that a speedometer is fitted, it's condition (legible basically) and that it can be illuminated.

Thanks, yes it had the IVA plus an MOT last year so think it should be ok