Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

wrong jump leads fitted ..help

drodders

New here ...I have a 2000 e11 1.4 gls corolla that has a flat Battery when I have just returned from holiday after 2 weeks ..got friend to give me a jump start but he put the leads on wrong way and it began to smoke removed very quickly  but it's now dead with no sign of life...what gas he done to my dream machine. ..help needed asap or I'll have to take my vw golf back from my wife...any help appreciated  please...

Edited by drodders

What was smoking, your Battery, the jump leads or something else ?

You say its no dead, but is that with your old Battery still in place ?

If so, then try removing it, as its probably  fried,  ensure everything is switched off , and connect up a different good Battery , place the positive terminal on first then negative.

If no burning etc, try the lights, if ok then try the ignition to see if the ECU etc are ok.

Did the same to my son in law's Honda Stream. Luckily only few fuses were blown. Check each and every fuse. Hope it's only fuse(s). But get your Battery checked first.

thanks for quick response. ..it was the positive conector with the jump lead on that was smoking until removed and indicator lights come on as well until lead was removed. ..old Battery still on and no lights now on the dash at all ...which fuses should I check the ones in the car or the ones by the Battery. ..can I fry the ecu...

hi there just try ed other Battery no joy still no ignition lights can it be the main engine fuse relay in the box next to Battery that gas gone...

You have to take each fuse out one by one and examine it if it's gone.

On an aygo there is a large value fuse under the large fuse box, it will blow with a significant error.

Replace friend as well.

Do you have a small multimeter ?  if not you can get cheap ones for under £10 from places like Halfords or Maplins.

You want to test the voltage across the old Battery ( disconnected from the car)  under 10v means its dead , plus if its lost its charge over 2 weeks then its was probably past it anyways.

I would avoid using it in the car unless it shows a healthy 12v, which I doubt it has, if you try charging it , off car, do not leave it unattended in case it shorts etc.

The multimeter will also help you check all the fuses, in the long black box above the Battery and also in the cabin, on my later model they are  behind the glove box.

Go for the ighh amperage fuses first as those are more likely to be blown.

thanks for that my mate checked the Battery earlier he said take it back 8 months old and dead he also said this relay will have blown I presume it's the one Xmas was on about and thanks for that anyway Battery going back tomorrow I'll try that if not I'll have to track down the relay from there..iv took a pic...

20160603_220210.jpg

The Battery going flat over the two weeks might mean something was draining it, rather than the Battery being faulty.

hi there ...iv found the culprit. ..pic below.

anyone know if this is a sealed unit as I can't remove it from the fuse box next to Battery. it's a 100amp alternator fuse .or does anyone know where I can get one asap...quick response needed please. ..

20160604_154711.jpg

anyone know how to remove...

This ytube should help you remove it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXZwN70fuIs

As for a replacement , perhaps Halfords or local motor accessory shops may have them, if they are common ..? ( lots on eBay cheap enough)  otherwise its Mr T on Monday morning, but do not be surprised if they can only order it up for next day collection.

thanks for that I'll have a look..

thanks for the help guys it's all in hand now only thing stopping me now is can't get fuse till Monday europarts £4..

anyway I don't know if anyone is interested. iv done a step by step for you..each step goes with each pic...

1.first disconnect Battery and remove

2.remove fuse cover next to Battery

3. then remove the 10mm bolt on inner wing and the 10mm other side..

4. once 2 bolts are removed the fuse box has a top and bottom held together by 3 clips just press to release better access. .

5.when free place a flat head screw driver down the sides as in pic to release inner clips then push out..

6.once free pull down and there is a white plastic case round the fuse housing..prize open the 4 little teeth holding in place ..very easy .then just pull downward. 

7.you will see plain white cable with 10mm bolt one side and an 8mm bolt with black cable on the other just remove each bolt and the pull out the fuse..

as I haven't got the fuse yet to install new one is just the reverse..easy job to do..

thanks for your help...

as I said I Hope the above may help someone  in the future. .

20160604_173910.jpg

20160604_173917.jpg

20160604_173940.jpg

20160604_174153.jpg

20160604_174202.jpg

20160604_174258.jpg

20160604_174346.jpg

20160604_173721.jpg

20160604_173705.jpg

20160604_183231.jpg

• Like 1

Thats some helpful info and great  pictures  - not seen that detailed in any manual before -  thanks.

Hopefully everything will run ok when you replace that fuse    -  fingers crossed !

thanks for the help I'll be in touch...

hi there just an update..

got new slow burn100amp fuse today new Battery fitted now ..turned key. .pressed start button and of she went running...took here out for a run until brakes had worn back in as Iv been away...come home just been out in her again and Battery light on dash has come on ..do use think I might have done something to alternator  aswell...other than that alls good...

Hi,

Sounds good if you have it running, would suggest the important expensive ECU is ok.

To test the alternator you really need a multimeter as mentioned earlier.

With everything switched off, measuring across  the Battery terminals you should be seeing about 12.5v DC 'ish

Start the  engine and rev and hold to around 1500 -2000 rpm and measure the Battery again, it should be over 14.0v DC , typically 14.2-14.5v.

If its still around the 12.5 or probably a bit lower, then either the alternator fuse is blown or the alternator damaged.

Not sure on your car but think its probably one of the other fuseable links at 100A , like the main fuse link you have already replaced.

If you do not have a meter, as cruder way, engine off, switch the headlights on, beams visible against a wall etc, start the engine and rev to 2000+ rpm, do the lights get noticably brighter, if not, still the same, then likely its not getting anything from the alternator/fuse.

will get one and check them..be in touch 

had it checked by mate showing 14.5 all fuses good but light still on ..also drivers window gone out of sync  how's thus fixed..

Thats good news that the Battery is getting the alternators charge ok.

There are other fuses feeding off the alternator circuit to the control unit, so you need to check for these  other fuses, in the engine bay or behind the glove box;  look for the 10A 'Gauge ' fuse or similar

For the Windows and Remote control there is a user reprogramming sequence, if you search this Corolla forum first you should find details of how to do it.

iv checked every fuse in an out of the car .all good...it's charging at 14.5 volts everything working properly now and running sweet as normal..so maybe alternator fault or volt regulator. .think I'll have to take it of and give it to an auto spark to check properly..

Seems the main power output is fine, sounds like a problem with part of  the regulator section as you say.

Might be worth checking that the small signal cable from the alternator has not been left disconnected by your works or if its wires or socket disturbed.

Disconnect the Battery or be very careful though,  because you are working so close to the alternator to Battery heavy current wire.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links