Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cycle Racks

Dave Dixony

Hi people, anyone had any success in carrying bikes on an older Rav4?. The spare being "snug" to the rear door does not allow the usual spare wheel carrier to drop over the tyre! Are there any alternatives to roof rails or towbar?

Dave

I've always used Halfords roof carriers on our 4.2's. They mount to the cross bars that fit on the roof rails. I was able to carry three bikes easily and they were not difficult to get onto the carriers. Only thing to bear in mind was that you had 2 - 3 feet of extra height above the roof so multi-storey car parks were usually no-no's!

I've never liked the strap on rear bike carriers as I've seen the remains of too many of them on the road over the years. Also, as you've noted, they are virtually impossible with the spare hanging off the rear door.

Hi I had two Rav4's circa 1993 and 1994 I bought a bike carrier that fitted into two of the spare holes in the spare wheel, the tubes stuck out with three notches on them, it worked perfectly.. ended up making a few.... I think a firm called independent suspension or a similar name sold the tubes they are threaded at one end and bent up covered in protection... and simply bolt through the spare wheel....

Hi, thanks for that.I have seen one of these advertised on eBay. When I contacted the Company they said it would not fit the 2002 rav4. Something about the mounting being too low and offset!

Firemac, thanks for your response also. I am getting on in years and just do not fancy having to lift a mountain bike onto the roof, plus as you say, there are height issues as well. I guess I may have to resort to fitting a towbar.

I bought mine years ago from Halfords and it's still going strong.

I first bought it when I had my 4.2 with the spare wheel on the back and now I use it on my 4.3 with no spare wheel.

I tend not to buy much from Halfords, but in this instance, it was a good buy.

Bobby, if it was a spare wheel mounted rack, (unclear), then the fitting must have changed. There is no gap to speak of between the tyre and the rear door on the 2002 Rav.

Dave

Dave,  

The one I have, the pads that sit or touch the car works on both the models mentioned.

The pads rest against the rear screen and sit in top of the rear bumper .

bought mine years ago from Halfords and it's still going strong.

I first bought it when I had my 4.2 with the spare wheel on the back and now I use it on my 4.3 with no spare wheel.

I tend not to buy much from Halfords, but in this instance, it was a good buy.

I could not find the tubes I used on my RAV4 but eBay 

eBay item number:

as one listed from a RAV4 and I'm not sure if you understand if you buy one that fits on the wheel only the webbing goes behind the wheel you should have plenty of clearance 

• 1 month later...

I have one the fits on the spare wheel of my 2003 rav, I take the hard cover off and with a light push, the top bar sits under the rear wiper arm behind the wheel and the strap slides behind the wheel to attach it, I bought it from Halfords many years ago.