Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 2.0 vvti not starting

N14 NNC

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and need some advice.

I am about to inherit a 2006 2.0 vvti xt4 manual which as far as I am aware was run dry of water before coming to a complete stop. Is this a chain or belt driven engine and what is the chances that there is terminal damage having been done. The owner tells me that when they tried to add water to the header tank it comes straight out through the water pump! Also there appears to be engine oil sitting on top of the gearbox casing!

The vehicle is in mint condition and has done less than 55K so I would like to resurrect it if at all possible.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

It's chain driven, cant help with the rest sorry.

Does the engine turn over with the starter, if so,you may be in with a chance.It has been known for an overheated engine to expand and seize but to loosen up when it has cooled down If it does not then take out the spark plugs and with them out try again I suggest that no-one has their head under the bonnet as It may be that if the head gasket has gone and water has leaked into a couple of the cylinders, it would shoot out with some force!!! If this does happen I would suggest having the head checked.Of course it would not have done the white metal bearings in the engine any good if it had seized and doubt very much if it would run very long after. 55k is not a great mileage and it is a sturdy engine so who knows so good luck with it Iain  the engine will have some water in it due to the water pump being bolted on to the top half of it so if it starts a few seconds running will be OK before fitting a new water pump if all is well

Hope this helps and good luck

del

Thanks Grasshopper and Crofter for your replies, I will collect the vehicle and investigate the symptoms further.

Cheers

Iain