Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis to Auris

wotnoshoeseh

Hi all,

I've had an Avensis for about 4 years now a 2.2 D4D.  We have a young driver coming up (just got his Learner licence today) and I'm thinking of making a change to an Auris.

Is there anything to look out for on these?

I'm going to be going for a petrol one as, being a second car, it will probably only cover 6-7,000 miles per annum.

I just looked at a 2009 1.33 5 door model with 59k on it.  There's also another one with the 1.6 engine in it - private sale on an 09 with 53k.

What is the optimum trim level to go for?

What are the things to look out for?  Are there items that need to be changed regularly, or any areas of weakness that should be checked?

Timing belt or chain?

I look forward to your responses.

Cheers,

D.

There are no issues with the petrol Auris as far as I know. The engines are all chain cams. The 1.6 should be Valvematic as it will get 6 speed gearbox. 

I would make TR the lowest trim level to go for. The 1.33 will be more insurance friendly for young driver.

The overall condition, plus service history will help you decide on the car. 

Mechanically the petrol engined Auris seems to be very reliable indeed, serious faults are very rare. The only issue I've had with my 1.6 Valvematic was a noisy/rattling water pump at about 50k. Not common but not totally unheard of on certain Toyota engines of that age apparently.

One area which lets the early Auris down a bit is trim rattles, they do feel more 'built down to a price' than say an Avensis in terms of trim quality. Check for any signs of rainwater getting into the boot around the rear light seals as this can affect early models, although is quite easily fixed with silicone sealant!

2 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

Mechanically the petrol engined Auris seems to be very reliable indeed, serious faults are very rare. The only issue I've had with my 1.6 Valvematic was a noisy/rattling water pump at about 50k. Not common but not totally unheard of on certain Toyota engines of that age apparently.

One area which lets the early Auris down a bit is trim rattles, they do feel more 'built down to a price' than say an Avensis in terms of trim quality. Check for any signs of rainwater getting into the boot around the rear light seals as this can affect early models, although is quite easily fixed with silicone sealant!

Thanks for this - much appreciated.  Can the noisy / rattling water pump be diagnosed on inspection?  What should I be listening / looking for?

Thanks for the info on the rear lights - should be easily checked for - am I likely to see this on a 2009 year?

The water pump noise on mine was a sort of scraping/rattling sound which started if the car was on tickover for a minute or more,  eg while waiting at lights. Blip the throttle and it would dissappear, only to start again once the revs dropped back to idle. It's not too common a problem, and mine may have gone on for a while before failing altogether, but I get paranoid about noises like that on cars so got the pump changed asap! 

One of the rear lights on my 2009 was leaking when I bought the car and I have heard of it on the later 2010 facelift Auris too, so it is worth checking for. 

Thanks yossarian.

I looked at the 1.6 this evening before I read your comments.  I did have it running on idle and was listening but could not detect anything.  It seemed a decent car but it had too many stone chips for my liking.  I think I'll give that one a miss for now.  I also spotted an SR - what are the differences between TR and SR?   All I could see on the adverts was different alloys??

OK.  I went back and looked at the 1.6 again this afternoon and ended up buying it.  It's a 2009 TR 1.6 in solid bright red, with 57k on it.

Should get it next weekend - as I'm going to have the Avensis for another week.

Thanks yossarian...  I'll have a look now presently.  I'll need some touch up paint for the bonnet - any ideas on sourcing this??

2 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Cheers for this.

Also what is the service interval on the 1.6 ValveMatic engine?  Last service was July 2015....  I'm thinking it needs to be serviced?  The seller said the service interval is 2 years??

Thoughts??

Thanks all,

D

Pretty sure that in the UK it's 1 year or 10,000 miles - whichever comes first.

P.S. if the Toyota eBay store doesn't have the colour that you need listed just send them a message.

• Like 1

When you get the Auris serviced, make sure the oil change is 0W-20 grade. The handbook will confirm this. I am aware some garages may use 5W-30, because that is what they store. Toyota garages should have the correct grade, because most of the current petrol engines use 0W-20.

I sourced my oil from Euro Car Parts: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/engineoils/5W20-engine-oil/?521776261&0&cc5_991

My 2009 Avensis Tourer 1.8 Valvematic engine is a longer stroke of the 1.6 Valvematic, so identical in every way. Check the spark plugs and if any service history, see if there are notes on plugs being changed. I found my plugs were well past it due to the burnt insulators. See the following topic: 

In my reply, I mention the need for a smaller spark plug socket - I bought the following: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/laser-4376-8mm-38-drive-thin-wall-spark-plug/

The spark plugs I bought from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Auris-Spark-Plugs-Set-of-4x-90919-01253-SC20HR11-Denso-IRIDIUM-/261313576243

I find that the air and cabin filters are overlooked. Check these and change if necessary! 

Depending how Toyota specked your car audio system and bluetooth, I wanted USB and had to add an USB adaptor. My adaptor came with bluetooth, so I have 2 bluetooth systems in the car - the built in primitive version, and the phone/music playback version. It is easy to add via the CD changer port. As I said it depends on what you want and if the car has it fitted.

I covered things that are closely related to the Avensis, but there may be Auris specific items that others may be able to answer.

Enjoy your car.  

The service interval is 1 year or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. So if the last service was July 2015, the car is due a service next month.

The Toyota preferred oil is 0W-20 for the 1.6 Valvematic and 1.33 engines. However, under Block Exemption, Toyota cannot insist a particular oil is used, and some garages, including Toyota dealers, use 5W-30.

Service intervals have never been 2 years, so I would have a check of the service history to see what intervals have actually been adhered to.

The solid red was 'Solar Red' - you need the colour code when buying paint rather than the name. This may be in the service/warranty book that would have been completed by the supplying dealer when new.

Thanks for the replies guys.  I did look at the service history and it seemed to be right but I will have another check when I go to pick it up, although not sure there is too much room for negotiation now....:unsure:

On the USB/Bluetooth options, I had seen a link to this previously on another thread... USB / Bluetooth .

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct one? I don't have the car in my possession yet so if you ask me to check anything, it will have to wait until I get it.

26 minutes ago, wotnoshoeseh said:

Thanks for the replies guys.  I did look at the service history and it seemed to be right but I will have another check when I go to pick it up, although not sure there is too much room for negotiation now....:unsure:

On the USB/Bluetooth options, I had seen a link to this previously on another thread... USB / Bluetooth .

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct one? I don't have the car in my possession yet so if you ask me to check anything, it will have to wait until I get it.

Yes the very same adaptor as installed in my car. It fits all recent Toyota's from mid 2000 up to date, so long as the 6+6 pin CD/changer port, it will work. 

Wait until you get the car and post a few photos, including one of the audio unit. There is a recent post that suggests the stereo may support A2DP bluetooth music playback.

Hopefully you will get all the manuals/handbook that comes with the car.

Picked up the Auras tonight - 1.6 TR with 57k on it.

So got the colour code - will be ordering some touch up paint for it presently.

Also took a photo of the stereo - is this the one that will take this adaptor for bluetooth, USB, and Aux....?

By the way - weakest washer jets I have seen since my 1984 Fiesta.

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

Edited by wotnoshoeseh
Added comment re. washer jets

Yes the USB/Bluetooth adaptor should work fine.

Before you order the system, check the handbook on your current stereo as I think this version supports bluetooth music playback - A2DP and 2 phones. If it does buy the cheaper USB only version, if not read on.

Getting the dashboard apart is not too difficult when you have the correct tools, as shown in my tutorial. 

Something to note, is that there were 3 versions of the unit - the basic version had no bluetooth, the most common version had bluetooth, and the third version which is rare, took multi disc, but no CD changer port! In this day and age, I rather use memory sticks over CD's, because you can install music far quicker, greater capacity and even easier to carry being smaller.

The only disadvantage with the USB/Bluetooth adaptor I am using, is the artist/track/title are not displayed. It does not matter as I know what I put on my memory stick, plus I keep my eyes on the road! The last thing you want is another distraction. Also if the phone is connected via Bluetooth, all the steering controls will control track changes. This is the only way to play iPod/iPhone as the adaptor does not support Apple via USB! You can still use the cable to charge whilst playing the over Bluetooth. 

There are more expensive options (including Bluetooth) that can display the artist/track titles, and support Apple better. I don't own Apple so not affected.

The adaptor will kick in when an incoming call is received, what ever the source the main unit is using. Also if your phone has auto answer, you will speak to the caller after so many rings (depending how auto-answer was set up). The steering track changing buttons can also be used to answer or end calls. It is best to set the volume on the the Bluetooth device as high as possible. Voice calls only come out the drivers speaker. 

Overall, I like the system.   

The 2009 Auris TR didn't have bluetooth.

Another option especially for for iPhone users is iO Play2, which is being sold in Halfords at a bargain price of £80, if I remember correctly. This is like Parrot but far better and louder than any Parrot. I would buy one if I was in the market. I still have my old Novaro Trusty One, also similar to the Parrot with good playback and double phone connection.

Other plug-in USB/SD systems, some of which can use a bluetooth module at extra cost are Connects2, Dension, Xcarlink, and Yatour. They are all more expensive, and don't give much more functionality over the Bluetooth/Micro SD/USB adaptor I am using.   

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

Another option especially for for iPhone users is iO Play2, which is being sold in Halfords at a bargain price of £80, if I remember correctly. This is like Parrot but far better and louder than any Parrot. I would buy one if I was in the market. I still have my old Novaro Trusty One, also similar to the Parrot with good playback and double phone connection.

Other plug-in USB/SD systems, some of which can use a Bluetooth module at extra cost are Connects2, Dension, Xcarlink, and Yatour. They are all more expensive, and don't give much more functionality over the Bluetooth/Micro SD/USB adaptor I am using.   

Thanks Konrad.

iO Play 2 is one I am familiar with as I looked at it previously and it seems to be a very thorough offering.  The problem now is that it seems to have been taken off the market, as I am unable to source it anywhere.

I think if I had the option of an iO Play 2 kit at £80 then that's the way I would go, although I think there is a bit more work to be done in terms of the overall install.

If you have a link to where I can buy it, especially at that £80 price I'd snap it up.  I'll have a look on the bay this morning as well.

17 minutes ago, wotnoshoeseh said:

Thanks Konrad.

iO Play 2 is one I am familiar with as I looked at it previously and it seems to be a very thorough offering.  The problem now is that it seems to have been taken off the market, as I am unable to source it anywhere.

I think if I had the option of an iO Play 2 kit at £80 then that's the way I would go, although I think there is a bit more work to be done in terms of the overall install.

If you have a link to where I can buy it, especially at that £80 price I'd snap it up.  I'll have a look on the bay this morning as well.

When I walked into Halfords Charlton London, I was surprised at the price, as it usually is double that! I could not justify it. Give them a call to see if they still have stock. Google Halfords, Charlton and their number should come up.  

If you bought it. You would need to get SOT-062 cable to plug between the handsfree harness and the audio unit. I have done a few installs, so for me not too difficult (since I have dealt with my brothers Renault Grand Scenic heater resister and Temic window switches, any other thing is easy). 

Thanks Konrad - was this recently?

I just wonder if they would post it to me, as it's not exactly local to me....

I'll give them a call to find out. - Sold out!!

Edited by wotnoshoeseh

9 hours ago, wotnoshoeseh said:

Thanks Konrad - was this recently?

I just wonder if they would post it to me, as it's not exactly local to me....

I'll give them a call to find out. - Sold out!!

Result - turned up an iO Play 2 up over here from Halfords - price £65.

Booked it over the phone and will pick it up tomorrow.

Might need some assistance from you Konrad in getting it installed..... :blush:

Go online and order this adaptor cable Autoleads SOT-062 Toyota to ISO lead for bluetooth hands-free systems. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOT-062-Toyota-Handsfree-Bluetooth-Parrot-Adaptor-ISO-Lead-/250597441401?hash=item3a58c57f79:g:PmkAAOSwCypWn7CJ

I would order trim removal tools as these do not damage or mark the trim parts, when used carefully. The following should be fine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Audio-Trim-Pry-Removal-Tool-Kit-Door-Panel-Clip-Interior-Light-Dash-Radio-/131586235967?hash=item1ea3269e3f:g:5uMAAOSw5dNWtHk9

I own this kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-Car-Trim-Door-Panel-Removal-Molding-Set-Kit-Pouch-Pry-Tool-Interior-Van-DIY-/361513192212?hash=item542bdd8b14:g:LnkAAOSw~oFXHc~B

Now here is one of the video on how to dismantle the trim on the Auris: 

Another at speed:

Once you have removed the stereo, unplug the stereo from the car loom and plug the SOT-062, the iO-Play cabling. Arrange the cabling carefully so it will not be damaged or interfere with the cars normal operation. Plug the stereo to the SOT cable. Next you have to decide where to install and route the display, controller and mic. The main unit has to be installed and USB/iPhone extension cable. 

For me this would be a nice project and £65 is a bargain. That is less than the fine if caught using a phone hand held whilst driving.

Hope the info is of help. 

Thanks Konrad - the trim removal kit is already purchased and I just pushed the button on the SOT062 adaptors.  Thanks for your help.

Just wondering, looking at the first video, if there is a pair of scissors in the kit too.... :biggrin: