Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris hybrid suspension knock

Hicardo

Hi,

Before I contact the dealer, thought i,d run It past the forum

low amplitude bumps seem to cause knock on the front left suspension. Larger bumps are fine. Standard continue summer tyres original equipment.  Noticed it last year but seemed to go away on winter tyres. Definitely knocking.  No knock through steering wheel.  Sounds like pad rattle, but does it even when braking

anyone had this?

• 4 weeks later...

No replies so either a boring topic 😭 Or not a common issue.

dealer had not heard of it either, and couldn't replicate it ....so I'm left with it.  The Continental prem contact 2's are known to be noisy when part worn, so could be down to this maybe

Probably not common, if you think IT could be those tyres, try tyrereviews.co.uk. 

Anti-roll bar bushes would be on my check list - my old Focus sounded like that when they went @ around 50K. Sometimes a knock, sometimes a deep creak, quite hard to say where it was coming from but likely to be louder if I was cornering at the time.

The bushes themselves aren't expensive, but the fitting involves a full set-up and check, so get both sides done at the same time. Toyota warranty ought to cover it.

If your car has 17" wheels, this may be the cause for knock sound when car passes over higher road bumps; mine behaves the same... 15" wheels with 195/65 tires don't have this problem. Try inflate all four wheels at maximum 34 ... 35.5 psi, the ride will be more comfortable and knock sound, lower.

Thanks guys.

My wheels are 16" and the tyres are 205/55/16 

Anyway, thanks, i'll try the suggestions.  Currently inflated at 32 all round 

Cheers!

32 psi at 16" wheels must be OK, I hope your suspension is silent now. 

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I've experimented with pressures.  Higher pressures produce more of a problem with this knock, and much more tyre roar.  Went up incrementally as high as 41 psi.  Then reduced gradually to gauge effect. Now at 31 psi and things are better, but problem still occasionally present.

My strategy now is going to be.

. Suffer it for 2 more months

. Have my winter tyres fitted by Toyota and get them to check susp bushes and brake pads rattle thoroughly

. See what the effect is

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links