Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 mileage on a full tank

inglorious01

Hi. Just bough a used 5 door Rav 4 Toyota 54 plate. Parkers used car guide tells me I should be getting about 401 miles on a full tank of petrol. Is this right? I'm driving conservatively, mainly on motorways but only getting about 250-270 miles from a full tank. There must be an issue here right?? Engine has just clocked 80k miles.

Thanks

welcome to the forum :)

How much fuel are you putting in to fill the tank? You may find that you have ~10 litres of "reserve" when the computer says that you have 0 range ... Toyota is very conservative.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm filling it comletely full. Not sure of the exact amount in gallons. I'll check when I'm next at the pumps. I'm spending about £54 each time I fill up though and it barely last me my 250 miles per week to work and back before the refuel light comes on.

As Scott said, Toyota are really conservative with the 'reserve' on the RAV4 so despite having a 60 litre tank you'll find a fill from 'light on' to 'brim full' to be around 45 litres - i.e. around 10 gallons. You don't say exactly what model, engine and transmission you have but you'd probably be looking at around 30 mpg from a petrol engined model which would give you a range of around 300 miles filling as you describe or around 390 miles from full to really out of fuel.

Thanks for the advice.

It's a 2 litre, 5 door manual petrol engine. Model XT3. I'm running it quite conservatively since I got it. As soon as the refuel light comes on I'm pretty much heading for  a garage straight away. That's how I'm measuring the fact that I'm getting about 250ish miles out of it each time I refuel back to completely full. Does that sound right?

Cheers

275 mles on my old petrol nrg would leave just over a quater tank left. I did do about 315 on it and it was near the bottom.

Mine returned 30 mpg winter 32 ish summer, running around 65 mph on the a14 and m6 daily

You really need to get some proper data. Fill the tank to the brim, note the mileage, the amount of fuel you put in (ltrs) and the cost per ltr. Drive as you would normally, when it's time to fill up do the same again. You can no calculate your MPG, cost per mile etc. MPG is affected by a lot of things, for example if the weather mpg drops noticeably, if you're only doing short runs, especially in the cold then diesel mpg drops even more. Things like servicing, checking brakes and bearings, tyre pressures and the type of driving you do (lots of hill work/towing, fully loaded car vs empty) will also affect your MPG.

I've never run a 2.0 petrol RAV4, but it books at 30-32mpg depending if it's manual or auto, how that figure relates to reality is subjective. For example my 2.0 D4D books at 39mpg combined figure with a 57ltr tank, i've run this car for 8,000 miles, it's averaged 33.35mpg (this is the actual figure, not the work of fiction the computer comes up with), my current daily commute tends to be round the 8 mile mark round trip, on that short a run i'll never hit the combined cycle figure. Parkers suggests it'll do 489 miles per tank, my real world figure suggests 418 is more likely for me, it's 10 years old, it's done 104k and i've managed 407 from a tank running it dry, it only took 54.28ltrs, suggesting that I still had 3.72ltrs of fuel left in the tank, which it clearly didn't!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links