Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My first week with an Aygo...

KaiserSoze

Bought an Aygo last week. ICE Version. (2013 reg). Almost new, low mileage.

After a week driving it my review is: its appalling.

Real cheap materials, Sound is terrible (and I went for the ICE version). I Hate the lack of a trip computer. I also hate the design flaws and total lack of ergonomy... Why cant I open the passenger's window? Come on, whoever designed that car could have put the window buttons in the middle like the Pandas / 500's!!!

The only OK thing is MPG. This car is just ugly, cheap and feels is made of recycled tin foil. Apologies to all Aygo fans, but I had to get this out of my chest... I just regret having bought that car.

Awful, just awful! Never again.

After reading this I only have one question: Did you actually drive the car before you bought it?

Yes the materials are a bit cheap, but you compare them to a Dacia they're luxurious. The sound is going to be terrible as it's a small lightweight car with bicycle tyres. Ultimately the car is designed for economy not for luxury and it's all designed to the cheapest possible price. That's why you have one window switch on the drivers door instead of two.

In regards to the trip computer, press the little black button on the milleage counter. You'll access your trip computer that way.

Finally you mention Panda/500, two cars that will break down as soon as it sees an AA truck. I've owned a Peugeot 107 from new (which is an Aygo effectively) since 2010. I've driven it as far East as Oban in Scotland and as far west as Budapest in Hungary and has never let me down.

You might not like the car, you might regret the car, but I'm just confused how you bought the car and didn't notice all of these things before you bought it? The minute you sit in the car you notice all of these things. So I'm afraid if you don't like the car you bought you only have yourself to blame.

13 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

After reading this I only have one question: Did you actually drive the car before you bought it?

Yes the materials are a bit cheap, but you compare them to a Dacia they're luxurious. The sound is going to be terrible as it's a small lightweight car with bicycle tyres. Ultimately the car is designed for economy not for luxury and it's all designed to the cheapest possible price. That's why you have one window switch on the drivers door instead of two.

In regards to the trip computer, press the little black button on the milleage counter. You'll access your trip computer that way.

Finally you mention Panda/500, two cars that will break down as soon as it sees an AA truck. I've owned a Peugeot 107 from new (which is an Aygo effectively) since 2010. I've driven it as far East as Oban in Scotland and as far west as Budapest in Hungary and has never let me down.

You might not like the car, you might regret the car, but I'm just confused how you bought the car and didn't notice all of these things before you bought it? The minute you sit in the car you notice all of these things. So I'm afraid if you don't like the car you bought you only have yourself to blame.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I see your point. However, test driving a car for 10 minutes with a salesman next to you is just a formality.

For someone who wants to save money on going from A to B its fine i guess.. Going from A to C or D its a different story... Yesterday I had to drive it for 100 miles, hence me grinding my teeth.

My car has no trip computer (MPG, etc)

As to the Windows buttons are concerned, there is just no excuse for that. Im not asking for 3 button (2 on drivers side, 1 passenger side) just for 2 button where the driver can access them.

A couple of days ago, my son was feeling sick and I couldn't open the drivers window for him to get fresh air until I managed to pull over. I opened mine but it was not enough... :(

I completely disagree. You spend as long as you like driving the car in a number of conditions taking in a mix of roads. City roads, fast roads etc. The feel of the car is instinctive the moment you step in the car. Test driving is never a formality. You can look at the car all you like but you have to like the experience of driving it. I test drove a Dacia Duster 9 months ago when I was thinking of getting a new car. The moment I sat in the car I could sense cheap plastics. The drive was lacklustre, rolled in to corners, the engine pulled well, but the seat would always rock back and forth under acceleration. I walked away from it, which you're entitled to do. I'd understand your point if all of a sudden it didn't accelerate after you bought it or there's a knocking sound all of a sudden, but the ride/feel of a car you can get from a test drive.

Again disagree with the "A to B" scenario. My 107 was my main car for 3 years and I drove it everywhere. Birmingham to Glasgow, Birmingham to London twice a week, Birmingham to Budapest and while it wasn't a refined ride it didn't leave me deaf, it didn't leave me tired. For a small car it behaves very well.

In terms of the trip computer I get you on that. MPG calculated by the car isn't exactly accurate. I've a Peugeot 3008 that reckons it does 45MPG - it does 38MPG.

With the buttons, you may argue you could've had them in the middle of the car but when, realistically, does the driver put down the passenger window? I have done it a handful of times.

The one point I will conceed is that if you've come from a bigger car to a smaller one then you won't have the best experience. My 107 was my first ever new car having owned a 306 and a Civic before hand and I love the car. I still have it, still drive it. However my old man who never liked small cars drove mine once and hated it. He had been used to driving Mondeos, E-Class Mercs and a Honda CR-V at the time.

3 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

The one point I will conceed is that if you've come from a bigger car to a smaller one then you won't have the best experience. My 107 was my first ever new car having owned a 306 and a Civic before hand and I love the car. I still have it, still drive it. However my old man who never liked small cars drove mine once and hated it. He had been used to driving Mondeos, E-Class Mercs and a Honda CR-V at the time.

Spot on! I used to have a really nice VW Passat with pretty much everything inside. It was a spaceship with wheels. 

Anyway, I still think the car could be improved without spending money... Moving the windows buttons is an example.

Im glad you enjoy your car, I really do... Wish you safe journeys all the time and thanks for engaging on this conversation.

I bought an aygo 2013 model 3000 miles on the clock,,believe it or not I was the 3rd owner, what a load of crap it was, I only kept it 3 weeks, talk about road noise, ended up buying my old car back, lost £1000 on the deal, but it was worth it to get shot of the aygo.

I'm struggling with this thread. Do people not properly test drive cars that they are about to buy?

• Like 1

On 16/06/2016 at 4:47 PM, codman said:

I bought an aygo 2013 model 3000 miles on the clock,,believe it or not I was the 3rd owner, what a load of crap it was, I only kept it 3 weeks, talk about road noise, ended up buying my old car back, lost £1000 on the deal, but it was worth it to get shot of the aygo.

In which case, your profile needs changing back to your previous car.

On 16/06/2016 at 4:17 PM, KaiserSoze said:

Spot on! I used to have a really nice VW Passat with pretty much everything inside. It was a spaceship with wheels. 

Anyway, I still think the car could be improved without spending money... Moving the windows buttons is an example.ll

There is no point comparing a car from the City car market sector with one from three market sectors higher - the large family car sector. The cars are designed against different design criteria, and any city car, regardless of manufacturer, will fare poorly in such a comparison. Chalk and cheese.

As regards improving the Aygo - that's already happened with the introduction of the second generation Aygo in 2014.

Moving down three market sectors in your choice of car will result in some compromise, but presumably the Aygo wasn't the only car you considered, and, at the time, there must have been sufficient positive points about the car for you to actually purchase it.

I disagree about a test drive being insufficient time in which to form a judgement about a car. We've bought eighteen new cars, and each time have test driven two or three cars before deciding which to purchase. Yes a test drive won't uncover all the idosyncracies of a car, but, together with a reasonable amount of research, a test drive still helps one come to an informed decision on whether or not to make a purchase.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, davidif said:

I'm struggling with this thread. Do people not properly test drive cars that they are about to buy?

Aparently not!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links