Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Passenger footwell water leak

chufferclive

Hi Guys,

Just realised my IQ has a lot of water in the passenger footwell.:sad:

It is in the area where the clips for the over carpet are, I have stripped the panels off and lifted the bottom carpet and the sound deadening was absolutely sodden.

Has any body else had any issues? Not sure if this has happened before as not had the car that long.....

Managed to drain the majority of it through the grommet in the floor but it doesn't seem to be coming from the front or dash as the carpet in that area is bone dry.

There does seem to be gaps between the floor and the cross member where the seats are mounted but am unsure whether water could even get into that area? although I know water will find the lowest point nothing else seems to be remotely damp???!!!

Any ideas will be appreciated ...

Thanks    Clive

I have a problem with water in the driver's footwell. I believe it's coming in from the top corner of the windscreen and making it's way down behind the plastic trim before ending up on the floor. It is worth investigating to see if you have a similar problem on the other side.

I believe mine had a replacement windscreen at some point and I don't think this is a common problem but it's worth looking...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Hi Billster,

Not a bad shout..the windowscreen looks ok but has a few chips, perhaps a "stone " flies up and cracks it so I need a new one :tongue: that'll be one problem solved. Or I could spend a few minutes with a hose around that area and see if anything happens

thanks   Clive

It could be a leaky windscreen, but also some people on here have had problems with the air conditioning drain pipe being at fault and venting back inside the car instead of outside through the bulkhead.

Hi Soeley, 

Mustadmit that did cross my mind...went for a drive with all the carpets up and bare metal  showing, climate control on low. Not sure if water was coming in or it was my imagination,  I know renault scenics were prone to this (never park one under a tree, they block the drain pipes for a pastime ) but did not know if IQ had this kind of issue or not!  Guess I wanted to put the problem out there so everyone could give me some pointers...........:rolleyes:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the link, I think that's the issue- all I have to do now is try and get to the pipe! doesn't seem as easy as people seemed to make out.....

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

The air con pipe is very easy to reach from underneath. I put a short length of garden hose on and zip tied out of way of exhaust. Done the trick for me👍

• 3 weeks later...

I had a soaked carpet too, somewhere last year. First the garage tried to fix it by making the condensor outlet tube longer, but that was not the problem. It was located somewhere behind the dashboard, I believe the airconditioning radiator.

In the video you can see how it seeps up into the car from underneath the 'glue' between two panels.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem. Only happens when the air con is on. Just too my noddy car on an epic road trip to Montenegro and back and the air con was on all the time and now the floor is !Removed! soaked.

Can anyone tell me where the drain hose is and how to fix this please ?

If you get under car and look up above the steering rack above gearbox mounting you should see an angled pipe sticking out about 10mm from the bulkhead. If you feel around it you can feel the foam seal(😧). I just used a length of water hose and pushed over the end of the pipe it is quite snug. I then cable tied the end of the pipe to the gearbox mount to keep it clear of exhaust. If yours is left hand drive might be slightly obscured by the steering column

hope this helps

Nope it's a RHD. What does this actually do? How can it leak back into the car from that pipe ?

Capillary force. Basically the outlet tube is short enough that if it really gets wet, when it's working really hard, the water drops 'cling on' and seep back/up through the seal.

It's worth a try to extend the hose, but it may be internal (see my earlier post).

Edit: what the hose/outlet itself does, is drain the condensation water from the a/c unit

Edited by maartenvanheek