Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Faster Avensis?

sjrainsford

Hi there everyone! It's great to see the forum filling up with people! I currently run a 1.8GS avensis which I am very happy with.

However, problems to date...

It uses oil - max to min mark in 1000 miles. :(

The brakes vibrate, but that seems to be a common problem.

It can be a tad underpowered.

Any info on the above problems? I would love to hear from other avensis owners especially, Its great to meet other people who kinda share the same interests.

Also referring to the underpowered bit, as others who own one would know, it's not that bad but I would like to know some cheap ways of improving the cars performance a bit. 110bhp from a 1.8 isn't exactly ground breaking!

Thanks alll in advance! :D

Stuart

Stuart,

How many miles has you can done? These engines should last well into 150,000 providing it's been well maintained!

Your oil loss is either down to worn piston rings/cylinders or you are losing it via a leak!

I have a 2001 1.8 VVT-I & oil level has not moved in 3 months since last service! Also, my wife's Starlet ( 1998 -1.3 L ) doesn't budge off the MAX level.

I would suspect some heavy abuse prior to your purchase, if oil is being burn't.

Solutions would be to either replace rings or sell it!

Your performance issue. Well it is a lean burn engine, which means it's biased towards efficiency & economy................not performance!

<_<

Mine's got 104,000 on at the moment no problems,the oil is like new when i change it at 9,000 intervals and is still on the max mark.I don't have a problem with the brakes either and did not change my discs until 80,000 and that was due to them getting a slight lip on the edges.

Unfortunately it does like it has had a hard time and vibrating brakes could be warped discs and when you put it with the rapid oil loss i must admit it sounds like it has been thrashed.

I have fitted a superchip,sebring sports exhaust system,performance air filter and a 60bhp nitrous kit to increase my performance,but i would not recommend any of that on yours,sorry

Thanks for the replys so far people!

Nah, it definately hasn't been thrashed. It's immaculate and only had a genuine 39k on the clock when I had it. I can't see an oil leak and there's no smoke, from cold or when opened up.

It can't be a really big problem because the oil would show it. It stays perfectly clean (within reason anyway). It may be normal, it says in the manual that they burn a lot under regular high speed driving, and my drive to work everyday is always 70 - 80mph sort of roads.

Regarding the air filter and superchip, would you recommend these? I was concerned at only 8bhp increase or whatever they say it is.

Cheers! :rolleyes:

You are virtually changing your oil every 1000 miles!! I don't think even at 70-80 mph you should use that much oil!

Might be worth changing your oil to different brand & viscosity.

Was thinking of that myself! Currently using 5W30 as toyota reccomend. However, have been topping it up with semi synthetic (same viscosity) and it seems better. Will probably flush it and put fully synthetic in. It's worth a try!! :D

Oh and i'm aware that lean burn is based around economy, not performance but at would be nice to have the benefits of lean burn when under normal driving, but a little more power when needed. The engine already does a decent job of doing this (switching in and out of leanburn mode) but when not in lean burn it would be nice if there was more power.

Anyone got any other problems that I should know about?

Hi,

When you say the engine oil goes from max to min in 1000 miles, means that it is using approx 1 to 1.5 litre of oil during that period. And I think that's a bit too much.

Although I don't own an Avensis, I have the same 7A-FE lean burn unit under my car and I do quite a lot of long distance with heavy load on board, but the oil consumption is not that drastic.

I was thinking, the lack of power thing could to do with the wear inside the engine like Starensis said. Try using 10W40 instead of recommended 5W30 and see what happens.

By the way, how many mpg are you getting just out of curiosity?

It seems like you are loosing oil somewhere, please, please, please go to your Toyota dealer and let them check it out... it might save you a lot of money in the long run

Hi everyone, again! :rolleyes:

First things first, i'm gonna quantify my thoughts and see how long it really does take to go from max to min. I have recently done over 1000 miles and it's only gone from max to about half way between max and min. So have reset the odometer and time will tell...

Secondly, believe it or not I am an engineer so will look myself in time. But there is definately no oil leak. Toyota's 18 year old "motor vehicle engineers" can keep their hands off it!!

I was only really looking for other peoples experience. The car it self is perfect, the best i've had so far. Oh and the fuel consumption is 38.4mpg average over a two month period, which nobody can complain about!

Thanks all again. Keep the avensis chat going, i'm all eyes! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

warped discs were a problem on these cars especialy if you are doing many high speed miles.

Steering columns heh? What goes wrong with them then? Not had any probs yet. Only where it enters the bulkhead through that rubber seal, it squeaks annoyingly when turning the wheel.

So you work at the factory? Are they as strict as I have heard? A friend told me they are really strict on sick leave and won't let you go home without seeing a works doctor or sommat. Also what's the pressure like? I work for a company on the Jaguar site producing aluminium panels for the new XJ series and basically I can't take it! If the line is down for one minute the big bosses are out wanting to know why.

Has any body got an engine wiring diagram to help me trace fault on engine management system?

Engine is dangerously flat mid-range.

Any ideas or suggestions to help trace or rectify fault appreciated!

What engine/vehicle? Need to know these basic things to be able to assist.

Do you have a code to work off?

I also have a couple of the problems you describe.

My brakes judder like warped disks, but i've had them checked and have been told there is nothing wrong!? :wacko:

I also have the squeaking steering coming from the union between the steering wheel and steering column. Its pretty bad, and the Toyota garrage told me to use WD40, but that didn't fix it. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to fix it???

Other than that the car is fine!

I have an avensis, 1.8i

Engine code 4A-FE (petrol)

If anyone has an engine wiring diagram or any advice that would be great.

It's a 1998 S reg. manual transmission

60,000 miles recorded

Hi all , only just found this board ,

i also have an Avensis 1.8GS (1999 ) with 50K miles on it , Its a great car but my only problem is the lack of oomph , there is no change between half throttle and full throttle , it feels choked almost .

Got blown away by a 1.4 Astra ,

would a sports pipe and getting it chipped make much difference????

i could do without the economy if i had more grunt

any thoughts on removing the Cat ??? bigger injectors , anything .

would a sports pipe and getting it chipped make much difference????

8% increase if a superchip is used which is what i put in,wasn't that impressed so chucked NOS on much better for overtaking.The unichip that other people have put in sounds a better option it is double the price but sounds worth it.

Currently got 4 options to improve bhp varying from 190 to 300 but until i decide which one to go for i'm keeping it to myself,sorry.All i can say the prices go from £4000 to £8500 and they all include a damn good set of brakes for obvious reasons. :ph34r:

Hi,

I have an X reg (2000) Avensis as a company car, and find that it has been using more than 2 litres of oil for every 5000 miles (off the end of the dipstick!).

This car has done 77000 miles, and I have had the car since 60000 miles.

I first realised the problem when the red light started flashing at about 66000 miles.

My colleague has one that was purchased at the same time (so a very close sibling), and he has had the same problem occur, and eventually has had to have the short engine replaced at 56000 miles as it was knackered.

Once again, there is no other evidence of the problem, no leaks, no smoke, and no crazy driving...

Anyone know if there is an issue with certain models?

The 7A-FE engine is usually very robust & reliable. Can only assume that your car has had a very hard life at high constant speeds.

2 litres of oil for 5000 miles seems high, but if you are thrashing up & down motorways at 80+ mph constantly then it's normal.

Try a different brand & viscosity of oil.

B)

RE: foalwise

Yep, mines the same! The steering wheel squeeks from the same place and the brakes vibrate. But they appear ok when checked. This is because the brakes only warp when warm and straighten again when cool. I have checked this myself. My mate used a different make of disks to that of Toyota standard fit and hasn't had a problem yet. So when my pad's are due a change I'll do my disks too, and try another manufacturer.

But yes, a cure for the squeeking steering would be nice! Oh and the cheap interior plastics!!!

Oh and another hint, get rid of them horrible Michelin tyres! Way to noisy!!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting about the brakes - I have an 1998 Avensis 1.8GS, have been told that the discs are corroded, have a bit of a lip on them and cannot be skimmed as they will be too thin. The new ones are going to be £240. Mileage is 85,000, have had the car since Jul 2000 when it had done 30,000. 90% of my mileage is motorway, not often above 80mph, fuel consumption is average of 45mpg - I try to keep the lean burn light on as much as possible (perfromance as a result is not impressive at all!) I do not have an oil top up problem at all - goes from service to service without any needed to be added in.

Would be interested in knowing what the quieter tyres are, if ytou have changed them... mine are the Michelin's, and yes are noisy! However, replaced tyres after getting about 65,000 miles on them, so am stuck with them for quite some time to come.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links