Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Door Locking

Bowruss

Anyone know if you can set the Prius 4 Excel door locks to lock automatically once a certain speed is attained?

Thanks, Russ

It's a surprising omission, but I don't think so.

There's a fair list of customisable features starting on page 672 of the (electronic) manual that states whether the user or dealer (or both) can change them and what the options are, but auto locking on reaching a set speed is not among them.

The list does include things like the delay before relocking after the car is unlocked but a door is not opened and whether the auto folding mirrors are linked to locking the doors or switching the engine off.

If you don't like the auto wipers, you can even have the dealer switch it back to manual variable intermittent operation (in previous models I understand you had to disconnect (or snip!) a wire in the sensor on the windscreen!)

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

It's a surprising omission, but I don't think so.

There's a fair list of customisable features starting on page 672 of the (electronic) manual that states whether the user or dealer (or both) can change them and what the options are, but auto locking on reaching a set speed is not among them.

The list does include things like the delay before relocking after the car is unlocked but a door is not opened and whether the auto folding mirrors are linked to locking the doors or switching the engine off.

If you don't like the auto wipers, you can even have the dealer switch it back to manual variable intermittent operation (in previous models I understand you had to disconnect (or snip!) a wire in the sensor on the windscreen!)

Thanks.  I had a look at these customisables - P.672, etc. - but as you, say, it's not there.  I do agree it's surprising not to have it.  Maybe it's part of the same thought chain that left the auto wipers off all but the top spec model - and then gave us option of changing them to manual....All a bit odd.

Russ

I know of a few others who don't like the auto wipers, hence the discovery of the disconnection method of disabling them!

2 hours ago, PeteB said:

I know of a few others who don't like the auto wipers, hence the discovery of the disconnection method of disabling them!

My dealer refused to do this for me, basically stating that they weren't allowed to.

4 hours ago, Duffryn said:

My dealer refused to do this for me, basically stating that they weren't allowed to.

I suspect most if not all of those who claimed to have done this did it themselves, or maybe an independant auto electrician...

I'm just glad it can be disabled on my Gen 4 legitimately, although I haven't finally decided whether to or not - that decision will wait for the first service.  I don't hate it as much as the last car I had with it, but I still seem to fiddle with it more than with the variable intermittent of my previous 6 Prius of various generations.

• 8 months later...

Picked up my Excel yesterday and I love it so far. 

I too am surprised there is no auto door locking as its something I have had in my cars for years now.  I have been going through all the menus and only found one setting for locking but it was related to using the smart key.  Weird as I seem to remember when I tested the Business + that when I put it in park there was a clonk and the doors unlocked..... I must have imagined it.

I asked my dealer to try to find a way of enabling auto locking at the first service - they decided it wasn't possible, and they're usually very good with their Prius knowledge, which certainly can't be said for all dealers!

• Like 1

Why not try this to see if it works on the Prius. Sometimes Toyota use the same systems and don't always document it, or in some cases the auto door locking may be included in the chapter "Opening, closing and locking the doors". Just a thought. 

I've read the 1000+ pages of manuals twice (sad geek that I am!) but didn't find any reference to that

I know a Yaris isn't a Prius, but on a serious note I think my door lock button is starting to suffer wear and tear as a result of a lack of auto-locking. More than a few times recently it has taken a few presses to get it to work. If it gets to regularly require multiple presses, I'll get it looked at.

I only drive the car maybe 3 times a week, and use the button twice per journey generally, so it isn't used that much.

On 05/03/2017 at 2:35 PM, PeteB said:

I've read the 1000+ pages of manuals twice (sad geek that I am!) but didn't find any reference to that

Me too, I even tried the Renault shortcut method of turning on autolocking which is to press and hold the lock button for 5 seconds until you hear a beep, but that didnt work either :dry:

Hello Folks.

When I originally posted on this, I didn't realise how many people would be interested!

But, after all our brainpower, it seems that Mr Toyota (lovely car BTW) can't help.  Oh well, it's back the button which, incidentally, takes a little getting used to and it doesn't show clear get confirmation the doors are indeed locked as the red bits on the handle aren't all that clear.  Another inconvenience is that your passengers can't get out until you do the button.  On my previous cars, Merc and BMW, auto locked up at around six mph and the fron or rear passenger could open their door and turn the lock off.

Maybe something for Mr T. to consider?  Picking peoples' brains (even other car makers) must surely be a good thing?  This stuff has been around for nearly 20 years...

Cheers to all,

Russ

Can't you lock the doors using the fob to save wear on the door button and as long as you don't double lock it the passengers should be able to open their door.

21 hours ago, kithmo said:

Can't you lock the doors using the fob to save wear on the door button and as long as you don't double lock it the passengers should be able to open their door.

HMM

Don't know about using the key fob.  If we were moving off and I used the fob, would the alarm be set or sound?  And - still doesn't get round the "visibly locked" thing.  At night you have trouble seeing the red bits!  I just don't need to look or think about it on the Merc.  It just locks at six or so mph and when I stop, people can get out.  Sounds simple doesn't it.

TBH, I'm not too bothered about the button durability thing - can't see it breaking unless it's abused.  It's the the fact that 20 or even 30 year old stuff isn't on one of the most technically sophisticated cars available today.

Never mind - nobody died!

Russ

I don't think the fob works from inside the car anyway

Just checked, you can't lock the car with the fob in Ready mode either :blush:

22 hours ago, PeteB said:

I don't think the fob works from inside the car anyway

You can't lock the car from outside if the spare fob is inside the car either (unless you wrap it in tin foil).

12 hours ago, johalareewi said:

You can't lock the car from outside if the spare fob is inside the car either (unless you wrap it in tin foil).

Unless you put the key blade in the door :)

• Like 1

Auto locking is a feature that some owners like and some owners don't.

There have been threads on the club previously about disabling auto locking where that has been a feature of the car (eg the Avensis).

10 hours ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

Unless you put the key blade in the door :)

It's a good idea to do this from time to time to prevent the mechanical lock from seizing up and not working when you want it to.

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Auto locking is a feature that some owners like and some owners don't...

quite right, which makes you wonder why, since these days it's just a bit of software, it isn't on the car with a user-selectable option to activate or deactivate it.

I doubt it would have added much, or anything, to the cost of the various type approval processes had it been included in the design of the Gen 4 (or any other version) from inception.

One recent thread was where the OP didn't trust the system to unlock in the event of an accident ....

We've had auto locking on each of our Hyundai's, and like it - both for safety and security.

Since the early days of central locking, all cars where I've seen a statement on the subject from the manufacturer state that in a collision violent enough to fire the airbags the central locking should, if locked, automatically unlock - whether the car has auto-locking or not.

I've never actually tested this :ohmy: but I came close when my first 2002 Prius was written off, not quite severe enough to fire the airbags (thank God!).

I knew I wasn't imagining it.  Found this video last night and if you jump to 2:54 you will see when the lady puts the car in park you hear the doors unlock and that is what I remember from when I took out the demonstrator.  It locked when I put it into Drive and unlocked when it went into Park.

Jump to 2:54

I am confused as to why this doesnt seem to be available. :blush:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links