Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine improvement

Breen

Hi guys :)

ive just bought my first Toyota Celica vvti 1.8 140bhp 2003 and I love it! However I've heard a few rumours that have sparked my interest and I'm looking for some advise from you experts . So I heard that there is no difference between the 140 and 190 aside from the engine management system which in the 140 restricts it to its modest 140bhp. Is this true ? And if so is there a way to fit the enginem management system from the 190 into the 140 to increase the power output ? Also looking to see if there are any other ways to improve performance in the car I.e. Performance chips , exhaust replacement , turbo instalment or air filters etc ? And if so what kind of improvement can I expect from these modifications ?

many thanks 

Kieran 

140 and 190 engines are completely different, so I don't know where you heard that from. Nothing is interchangeable on them as far as I am aware, the only thing you may have heard is the 190 is similar to the 140 power wise up until you reach lift in a 190 engined car, but having never driven a 140 I can't compare.

New panel filter with stock airbox is what most go for, I don't know if a 140 has a butterfly valve in the stock airbox or if it's just the 190, but this can be removed to increase noise levels a little. Short ram filters only increase noise and usually lose power, you could go for a long ram filter which is better but expensive.

You won't gain much out of your engine without adding a supercharger or turbo, which will cost you in excess of £4000 just for the kit alone, then theres a new ECU, exhaust, brakes, suspension to think of and also 1-2 days on a dyno getting it tuned. Depending on your BHP output you may need uprated internals in the engine, so to do a proper job your looking at £10k easily.

Check out se7en motorsports, he is the man to talk to about all your gen 7 needs, and the only one to trust with these cars.

Hi Welcome to TOC. 140's are meant to be decent cars, giving decent MPG, with good looks. the 190's are meant to the same but with a bit more ooomphh. If you want more power the cheapest way is buy a 190 from the start.