Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wind noise coming from vent area

momo88

Evening all,

I bought my 2012 Avensis estate from a Vauxhall garage in November last year but after driving it for a while I noticed that there was wind noise coming from around the driver side air vent. I took it in to them to determine the problem but they couldn't source a cause. After a lot of back and forth they replaced the rubber seal (under a 12 month warranty cover I took out with them) around the door but it didn't resolve anything.I'll add that the reason I took the warranty out with Vauxhall was that the were offering it at a lower price than normal and the car hadn't had a service at the Toyota service intervals so I was worried that this may void the 5 year warranty I would get with them.

As it was still within the 5 years I thought I'd try Toyota. When I did, they have said that they need to replace 2 parts, I've had a look on the net and found that they are:

Part 67861-05060 (WEATHERSTRIP, FRONT DOOR, RH)

Part 68141-05040 (RUN, FRONT DOOR GLASS, RH)

This will cost about £270... I'm not too keen on that. They say that as its rubber seals, they are regarded as wear and tear so not covered under the 5 year warranty. I can see that the first one may fall under this category but will the 2nd? 

My plan tomorrow is to call Vauxhall and complain that the noise is still there and that Toyota are recommending that I replace the above parts. As they replaced a seal under warranty last time, I'd assume they would this time.

I guess my question is, what are people's opinion on all of this and has anyone has any similar experiences? 

Thanks in advance guys,

Mo

assuming that it is air leakage from the window/door there is another, cheaper option that you could potentially try -  wind deflectors. You can buy a set of these from ~£25 on eBay.

e.g. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DTO29610-Wind-Deflectors-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-ESTATE-2009-up-4pcs-HEKO-TINTED-/301596621928?

Oh dear, don't get me started on the wind deflectors. I have a set of those already and they have been blamed for the noise by Vauxhall and Toyota on all occasions. I have been adamant that they are not the cause of this and it took for me to take them off and be in the car with a Toyota mechanic before they agreed with me. 

All I can add to this is that our 2012 Avensis estate has wind noise from exactly the same area. On ours I think the noise originates from the top of the rubber seal around the drivers door quarterlight but I'm not 100% sure. I was hoping to get the noise sorted under warranty when it next goes in for a service. I'm not keen on paying £270 to fix what appears to be a manufacturing fault though! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links