Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where has everyone gone?

stevepen

Been a member for 8 years now but not had a RAV for the last 2 years (had a RX400h), now back in a XT5. So been off the forum for a bit. I remember when there used to be regularly 20 posts a day, now lucky if there is one.

Have Rav's just got so reliable nobody asking questions anymore :)

Some members left at the end of 2013.

I noticed that as well... did something change with the forum structure?  I noticed my original avatar vanished sometime ago and the forum outlay seemed to change.  Perhaps that shed a lot of users built up over the years?

I own an eighteen year old Rav4 Freesport, purchased it ten years ago and the only thing it has ever had (apart from oil and filter change) is two new front discs and pads and two new front brake flexie hoses... MOT recommendation because of minute cracks in the rubber that I considered was unnecessary but did anyhow.  So yes, IMO these vehicles are tremendously reliable and good value but I don't think that's the reason for the forums downturn.  Could it be that most people (not moi) view the internet on a small screened smart bottomed phone and forums don't lend themselves to viewing the internet to what amounts to looking through a keyhole into a room!

Edited by daveh_rav4
LOL... forum blanked out the word smart 'ubik' phone!!!

19 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Some members left at the end of 2013.

Why...?

The forum underwent a refresh earlier this year which affected the avatars people were using - the format also changed in shape, to more of a square format. 

OK, I thought that is what might have happened... and probably the reason why so many people (on PC's) left.   Damn smart phones can't display the internet correctly so web pages get *****ised trying to accommodate them.  We spent twenty five years getting bigger, widescreen hi-rez displays on the internet/web only to have smart phones and tiddly tablets throw it all back twenty years, d'oh! (rant over LOL)

Uber reliable and little if anything goes wrong? I thought I was logged into the old MK1 Yarris section for a moment ;) Chain driven, NA and bomb proof even if loads of them were built in France.

It does seem very quiet, I spend more time viewing other platform specific sub forums if I have an engine issue than the RAV specific one. Perhaps it's a demographic thing? In general it's a reliable car with a few known issues, it may attract an owner base who don't regularly frequent the Internet to discuss issues unless they are stuck.

as to the phone point I'd argue it probably opens up the forum to a wider user base, granted its a sub optimal viewing platform, but the majority of people have/use them.

11 hours ago, Avalon said:

Uber reliable and little if anything goes wrong? I thought I was logged into the old MK1 Yarris section for a moment ;) Chain driven, NA and bomb proof even if loads of them were built in France.

It does seem very quiet, I spend more time viewing other platform specific sub forums if I have an engine issue than the RAV specific one. Perhaps it's a demographic thing? In general it's a reliable car with a few known issues, it may attract an owner base who don't regularly frequent the Internet to discuss issues unless they are stuck.

as to the phone point I'd argue it probably opens up the forum to a wider user base, granted its a sub optimal viewing platform, but the majority of people have/use them.

Suppose the petrol's are chain driven, NA and bomb proof :)

I think it is because the mark 1 & mark 2 were affordable to the private buyer  but the later models became more for the richer who can afford Mr T or company cars. 

The youngest mark 2 is getting on for 10.5 years old.

Wait until the summer finishes and the rotten weather bites again, the RAVs will be out in force as the daily drivers and then it should be busier. Unfortunately for the RAV it's generally just routine servicing it needs to keep going. On the list of outstanding 'wants' for my winter hack  it's a replacement drivers sun visor - hardly the stuff of forum legend (although that's now 5mths searching scrappers, eBay, Gumtree - if it passes its MOT in September I guess I'm forking out for a £££s new part.) 

It's just too reliable - maybe if there was a scene for upgrading then there might be more traffic but I don't think lift kits, swapping interiors, in-car satnav etc. really appeals the 'typical' RAV owner?

Either that or you guys are just too good at providing first time fixes for people when they ask questions.  :biggrin:

Most of the obvious stuff has been dealt with, guides are well written and clear, once you sort your SCV's and get the recalls and remedial stuff done it's quite straight forward. The next issue for the diesels tends to be the random drops to limp mode which is exasibated by low quality fuel and carbon buildup/sensor issues.

RAV ownership can be summer used by being generally uneventful, when things do need to be replaced genuine parts aren't cheap, but in fairness my car is 4 months shy of being 11 years old and has done 104,000 miles with very few issues, if a dust shield costs twice what it would for a VAG group car then in fairness I'd probably do them twice in the same period so value is relative. I normally chuck together a 'State of the Union' address each year, normally that's along the lines of what has been done, what its cost etc. this years isn't due till August, biggest expense this year (excluding insurance/tax/fuel) is down to me loosing my keys.