Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 cruise control

Vodka11

I have fitted a cruise control stalk to my 2003 Rav but I can't get it to work, any ideas of where I went wrong.

Hi, I have fitted a cruise stalk to an petrol XT4 2004 which has been working for a few years, here are some possible reasons why your switch may not be working.

I seem to remember that there was a change to the XT4 in 2004 that included a drive by wire throttle body. (ie there is no direct mechanical connection between the throttle body and the throttle pedal)  If your throttle body is linked by a cable to the throttle pedal, I suspect the simple addition of a cruise stalk will not work.

If you have do have a drive by wire throttle and have a manual transmission, have you fitted the clutch pedal switch ?

I am sorry its been such a long time since I fitted this mod that I can not provide any precise wiring information.

hope this helps

Ian

Hi and thanks for the reply, it is a fly by wire on my rav, I will look into the clutch pedal switch and give that a go. 

Hi IanXT4,  I've checked my clutch peddle and guess what.......... Yes there is a switch on it. Don't know where to go now, think I will take the air bag off again and check the connections that end. 

Hi, my Petrol 2004 XT4 definitely did not come with a clutch switch.  I had buy it from my Toyota dealer and add it to allow the ECU/cruise control to know to switch off when the clutch is pressed. (switch cost about £15) The car wiring loom was wired for cruise, so all I had to do was add the switch and connect it to a nearby connector.

If you have a switch as standard on the clutch, I suspect its possibly for something else ?  I doubt that Toyota would spend the money on a switch that is not used  ??

Is your car a diesel ?, could there be a reason why the car ECU would want to know that you had the clutch depressed ? (I googled but could not find anything)

When I fitted the cruise I spent a few Euros (3 euros for an hours download) and downloaded all the wiring schematics/connector locations etc for my specific car from the Toyota web site.  From this I could see what each connector and switch did. I could also see that the wiring loom was fitted for the cruise control.

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/

Sorry can not be of any more help, but my guess is your problem may lay with an input from the clutch to the ECU :-)

Good luck

Ian

Thanks for the help, yes my rav is a diesel, not sure about the switches though, there's two switches on my brake peddle as well.  Think I need to look into this more deeply............ When I have more time.

cheers:blink:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links