Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Gen and any other useful info for a newbie, with a 51 1.8vvti TR

Chris_Carter

I've just bought the above I'm looking for any info, what to look out for, as I said what Generation ect? In hope Chris

A 2001 will be a generation 7, these were made between 1999-2006 and the last in line of the celica model.

2x engine variants a 140BHP version (badged as vvti) and a 190BHP version (badged as vvti-190, t-sport or GT) both are 1.8ltr engines.

Don't know why yours has TR on it, I know there were a few packages available on the celica, but these didn't have any badges to say so.

The earlier 140BHP version has a design flaw with the engine and can cause it to burn excessive amounts of oil, especially if the engines were not serviced regularly, not all suffer from this problem, but there is quite a high risk it will develop this problem over time, and if you don't keep up with topping up the oil then I shouldn't have to tell you what will happen to an engine with no oil in it. This problem was rectified on the later models (2003 onward)s but even then one or two have developed this fault.

Other thing to look out for are leaking radiators on both models, it's hard to tell as they go on the bottom corners, and the under plastics catch the coolant, easiest way to tell is if the coolant in the reservoir goes down a lot, and sometimes you won't get hot air through the vents insidethe car as there is an air lock in the system.

Radiators can be bought cheap off eBay for around £30-£50 brand new, and a few litres of coolant.

190 engines are pretty bullet proof, just need to check it hits lift when warmed up and condition of the lift bolts.

All celicas suffer with spongey feeling brakes, so this is normal.

The auxilary belts are prone to squealing, but are cheap to fix if oyu do it yourself as belts can be bought for £15-£20

I'm sure if I missed something kev will be along to fill in

A very comprehensive answer, Colin..you've left me with nothing to add :smile:

Chris, if you can post a pic. of your car, we will be able to spot if there are any additions to standard specification, that perhaps should be declared to your Ins. Co.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links