Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2012 avensis electric park brake problem

jimmyfixit

Hi guys..

Yest whilst trying to change the rear brake pads on my 2012 Avensis Luna I hit the wrong button on my new Foxwell EPB tool and deleated the zero point callibration for the clutch sensor it seems as I have got the following error and cant get it to clear 'C1346 Zero Point Calibration of Clutch Stroke Sensor Undone'. As it stands the electric park brake will work by manually switching it on and off but no longer work in automatic mode and 'Check parking brake' error message flashing on dash. Bit annoyed as spent €150 on this Foxwell EPB tool to do it properly and now its all gone to ****.... Anyone got any idea how to do a zero point callibration without going to Toyota??? Iv tried holding the button for 5 seconds...

Thanks in advance if anyone can help

I assume you have the later updated EPB which auto engages when you switch off the engine. I have to manual press the button. 

Being a manual version (or semi auto), when I had the rear brakes replaced, I just didn't engage the EPB, leaving the parking brake off. When finished, the brake pedal was pumped and the EPB pressed on and off a few times. The EPB light flashed then settled down after a couple of presses. All sorted. 

Now for the later fully auto EPB, there is a service mode for the same thing. Whilst in Accessory or ACC, pull the EPB button for more than 5 seconds to temporary cancell the auto handbrake, and "AUTO P" will illuminate. Pull again for 5 seconds to resume auto EPB. This is covered on page 238 of the owners manual. 

I don't think you needed the EPB tool and it seemed dangerous to have! 

Sorry to rub this in after your unfortunate situation. I did some research before doing the brake replacement. Will look at the manual for Foxwell NT415 later.

• Like 1

Disconnect the Battery for about 10 minutes or longer. Long shot. Give this a go. 

cheers konrad..

yes it has the auto handbrake. to be honest i took a look at the setup on the caliper and taught this was simple enough just a motor pulling a cable so i would do it myself . i have always done my own repairs.. but when i was toyota getting the pads the service guy told me it would have to be pluged in to do the rears.. his exact words were "you can try do it yourself but you will be back in the next day to buy a whole new caliper when you break it.😈😈😈😈. what annoyed me was he was so cocky about  it. decided i was  doing it myself even if it was going to be more expensive that there quote..😤😤😤

anyhow i have the positive lead off now for a few minutes to see if that works. wish me luck.... damm these new electronics. so  much simpler on my old hilux😂

well disconnecting the Battery didnt work. so i am open to any and all suggestions..

wohoo.... got this fixed.. so for this error the procedure is as folows

connect terminal 12 and 4 on obd port with piece of wire

turn ignition on

within 5 seconds push park brake 3 times then pull 3 times

red park brake light will flash rappidly for a few seconds then the yellow warning brake light goes off. thats it

so what you are doing here is a calibration of clutch stroke sensor and a few others i think.. worked for me anyhow.. only cost €3 on the toyota tech website

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jimmyfixit said:

wohoo.... got this fixed.. so for this error the procedure is as folows

connect terminal 12 and 4 on obd port with piece of wire

turn ignition on

within 5 seconds push park brake 3 times then pull 3 times

red park brake light will flash rappidly for a few seconds then the yellow warning brake light goes off. thats it

so what you are doing here is a calibration of clutch stroke sensor and a few others i think.. worked for me anyhow.. only cost €3 on the toyota tech website

Well done Jimmy.

So you used another jumper trick on the OBD port. Now that is what I called a cheap fix. I wonder if it works on my early 2009 EPB system? Toyota still have some of those secret fixes.

There was a poster who had a fault with his EPB and the unit was changed. He never had the solution to fix it, and even Toyota could not help.

Anyway thanks for sharing.

Konrad

• Like 2

Jimmy

I think you've done well also it was good of Konrad for the help he offered you

I have only had my second hand Avensis for a short while so know nothing about them yet and god help my poor car if I start messing with it.

Reading through the forum this seems to be a good club to be in

Take care all

John

Jimmy well done mate. Thanks a million, really! Messed up the EPB on my 2009 petrol tourer a few months back. Used the Foxwell NT415 tool when I was changing the rear brake discs and accidentally cleared something after which the handbrake would not auto release and constant 'check EPB' message on dash plus warning light. To be clear to anyone new to this: YOU DON'T NEED ANY ELECTRONIC TOOL TO DO THE REAR BRAKES ON A 2009 AVENSIS. Just a RH and LH threaded piston wind back tool. I was on to Gendan and they on to Foxwell on and off for weeks and they could not solve this issue that I caused with my inexpert and unnecessary NT415 assisted meddling. Was dreading my MOT in October cos felt I would then be having to go to Toyota and ask them to work on this and as you know the cost of the servo motor box unit is like £1300 last time I checked and I thought they might try to stick me for one as mine is noisy (but serviceable IMHO). This routine you have just posted fixed my car in 2 minutes. Thanks again really grateful and chuffed.

BTW I still won't be using the auto release mode cos I can feel it eating the clutch every time. But overall in spite of the EPB worries the Avensis tourer has proved a cheap to run and reliable workhorse and I am currently thinking about trading in for a 2012.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2016 at 0:33 PM, bushido55 said:

Jimmy

I think you've done well also it was good of Konrad for the help he offered you

I have only had my second hand Avensis for a short while so know nothing about them yet and god help my poor car if I start messing with it.

Reading through the forum this seems to be a good club to be in

Take care all

John

John, I tried but really Jimmy found the cure. It has spurred me to find more Toyota tricks. 

It seems that any faults and calibration can be done by a jumper wire on the OBD socket. 

OBD-2Port.png

Link pins 4 and 12 to calibrate the clutch switch for the EPB or if the steering needs calibrating. 

To find and clear ABS fault codes without diagnostic reader, connect pins 4 and 13. The ABS light will flash a two digit code in morse code style.

To clear the ABS codes (after any fixes) press the brake pedal 8 times within 5 seconds, and there is a bleep as the memory clears. The ABS light then flashes constant. 

It seems that owning diagnostic tools can be more trouble in the wrong hands, but the fixes having been simple so far, when you know how! 

• Like 3

Thanks Konrad if I do get any troubles with the car would you or other's try to help me knowing my knowledge on Toyota is at a zero or advise me to take it into a stealer (sorry dealers) 

Take care all

John

On 7/23/2016 at 3:53 PM, davelebarr said:

Jimmy well done mate. Thanks a million, really! Messed up the EPB on my 2009 petrol tourer a few months back. Used the Foxwell NT415 tool when I was changing the rear brake discs and accidentally cleared something after which the handbrake would not auto release and constant 'check EPB' message on dash plus warning light. To be clear to anyone new to this: YOU DON'T NEED ANY ELECTRONIC TOOL TO DO THE REAR BRAKES ON A 2009 AVENSIS. Just a RH and LH threaded piston wind back tool. I was on to Gendan and they on to Foxwell on and off for weeks and they could not solve this issue that I caused with my inexpert and unnecessary NT415 assisted meddling. Was dreading my MOT in October cos felt I would then be having to go to Toyota and ask them to work on this and as you know the cost of the servo motor box unit is like £1300 last time I checked and I thought they might try to stick me for one as mine is noisy (but serviceable IMHO). This routine you have just posted fixed my car in 2 minutes. Thanks again really grateful and chuffed.

BTW I still won't be using the auto release mode cos I can feel it eating the clutch every time. But overall in spite of the EPB worries the Avensis tourer has proved a cheap to run and reliable workhorse and I am currently thinking about trading in for a 2012.

Hey... glad to hear it worked... I actually seen where u had the same problem in another post. I would recommend that anyone that is unsure of a repair on there toyota.. use that toyota tech website..at €3.50 per hour it is not expensive

• Like 1

On 7/24/2016 at 6:23 PM, bushido55 said:

Thanks Konrad if I do get any troubles with the car would you or other's try to help me knowing my knowledge on Toyota is at a zero or advise me to take it into a stealer (sorry dealers) 

Take care all

John

John, I am still learning things about my car. I had a Mk1 for 13 years and learnt a lot about that. Hope you will not have to do to much with your current car. It is 3 years old and should be under warranty, and you are getting it serviced regularly. 

Just post a question and somebody may have the answer you are after. 

Konrad

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I tried the 13 + 4 switch, it's in a PDF some (?) put up here, however on my 2012 Avensis Router ( the PDF says the engine light flashing) the display showed.

EPB

OIL MAINTENANCE

VSC

!

Nothing blinks, before it was just EPB & VSC!

As far as 4+14, I tried this as well with no luck.

Anyone else with a suggestion?

BTW, I partially cleaned the EGR, doesn't look like any on iTunes!

YouTube! Google autocorrect!

YouTube! Google autocorrect!

Here we have after, before and before starting!

The reason I say it's not like all the YouTube versions is the valve is controlled by the black box (6 pin screws) which I didn't touch 'cos I hadn't the tools to undo it.

Hope this gives more info, great site.

Lovin it

IMG-20170716-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170715-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20170711-WA0001.jpg

Edited by Hillbillie
Missed a file

Re the Avensis Router, Google Auto again, obviously it's tourer.!

• 1 year later...

I  joined after seeing Jimmyfixit post to say hello, thank you and help!

Hello all new member here, I have a 2011 Petrol, Avensis III, 1.8 valvematatic T27, Love my car, it has served me faithfully and i it every year nearing on 4 years of ownership and until recintly never had any issues with the car.

Thank you @ Jimmyfixit I had problems with my vsc + eng + master +handbrake (amber), cluster showed notification to check parking brake, your jumper OBD has cleared all lights and I will test the car on Sat with a warm up drive to make sure it's gone for good. but for now it seems good and EPB warning has not come back.

Now the help part, Story first ofc: i was about 14 miles from home visiting family, when i was leaving as i started the car 4 lights came on, with warning for vsc + eng + master +handbrake (amber) as stated above. I thought ok maybe the brakes are due and this is just the warning, as I went to drive off I noticed a sever lack of acceleration, and nothing above 2k rpm, it was in limp mode i think. I got it home somehow, bought front and back brake pads and changed them also buggering a caliper on rear so bought a new one EPB side. finaly all fitted but issue remained. got a machanic to look at it with OBD hand held, he cleared all issues and all looked well. roll on next warm engine drive and all lights came back and accelerator reduced again to 2k.

wow so long when i type it out.

Gave the car to a garage they used more advance OBD and it showed some other stuff:

Iregualer EPB tension, my fault, i did one side of rear brakes forgot to tell pedal buddy to only use footbrake, then went and did other side of rear brake next day. Garage said to have cleared this and reset it, but not sure cause EPB switched to manual activation only no drive of disengage, @Jimmyfixit solution fixed this. 🙂

(P1047) EGR related

(P264a) rocker arm related

(C1201) fuel injector or O2 sensor

So now I think its an EGR issue but I have no clue to where the sucker is hidding, i want to find it and clean it out anyhow for peace of mind and because new one seem expensive. every search I have done for this cars EGR returns results for d-4d or other models not mine, I dont even know what it looks like, I have tested some components that I suspected were it but they all work just fine and were not the EGR like the intake manifold valve lol.

If anyone has a avensis III T27 and knows where the actual EGR is located would you please take a picture and point this gremlin out to me. not afraid to dismantle and re assemble but would be best to know what im looking at, worst case I need to buy a new one and have it fitted, best case I learn something and solve an issue.

thank you sorry it so dam long.

18 hours ago, khanm78 said:

I  joined after seeing Jimmyfixit post to say hello, thank you and help!

Hello all new member here, I have a 2011 Petrol, Avensis III, 1.8 valvematatic T27, Love my car, it has served me faithfully and i it every year nearing on 4 years of ownership and until recintly never had any issues with the car.

Thank you @ Jimmyfixit I had problems with my vsc + eng + master +handbrake (amber), cluster showed notification to check parking brake, your jumper OBD has cleared all lights and I will test the car on Sat with a warm up drive to make sure it's gone for good. but for now it seems good and EPB warning has not come back.

Now the help part, Story first ofc: i was about 14 miles from home visiting family, when i was leaving as i started the car 4 lights came on, with warning for vsc + eng + master +handbrake (amber) as stated above. I thought ok maybe the brakes are due and this is just the warning, as I went to drive off I noticed a sever lack of acceleration, and nothing above 2k rpm, it was in limp mode i think. I got it home somehow, bought front and back brake pads and changed them also buggering a caliper on rear so bought a new one EPB side. finaly all fitted but issue remained. got a machanic to look at it with OBD hand held, he cleared all issues and all looked well. roll on next warm engine drive and all lights came back and accelerator reduced again to 2k.

wow so long when i type it out.

Gave the car to a garage they used more advance OBD and it showed some other stuff:

Iregualer EPB tension, my fault, i did one side of rear brakes forgot to tell pedal buddy to only use footbrake, then went and did other side of rear brake next day. Garage said to have cleared this and reset it, but not sure cause EPB switched to manual activation only no drive of disengage, @Jimmyfixit solution fixed this. 🙂

(P1047) EGR related

(P264a) rocker arm related

(C1201) fuel injector or O2 sensor

So now I think its an EGR issue but I have no clue to where the sucker is hidding, i want to find it and clean it out anyhow for peace of mind and because new one seem expensive. every search I have done for this cars EGR returns results for d-4d or other models not mine, I dont even know what it looks like, I have tested some components that I suspected were it but they all work just fine and were not the EGR like the intake manifold valve lol.

If anyone has a avensis III T27 and knows where the actual EGR is located would you please take a picture and point this gremlin out to me. not afraid to dismantle and re assemble but would be best to know what im looking at, worst case I need to buy a new one and have it fitted, best case I learn something and solve an issue.

thank you sorry it so dam long.

Hi khanm78,

The Valvematic engine does not have an EGR! Only the diesel Avensis will have this device. You did state above that you have the 1.8 Valvematic engine, so any faults relating the diesel variants don't apply. 
The fault codes you got are generic. When using diagnostic software, the user must make sure the correct make/model/engine/year details are entered. The more sophisticated the diagnostic software/hardware, the more accurate the diagnostics. I have used different software, and there are all good. I own a Launch Creader CRP129  diagnostic  tool. The best is Toyota TIS. 

Code P1047 actually relates to the valvematic unit - Image result for p1047 toyota

The second code - P264A relates to the Rocker Arm Actuator Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1. I Googled that. I guess there is something wrong with the valvematic system. This explains why your car has no power. 
C1201 - https://www.autocodes.com/c1201_toyota.html - engine control system malfunction. Another answer states the following - "If the C1201 is combined with an Oxygen (O2) Sensor code, repair the O2 sensor code first and clear the codes. If a malfunction in the engine control system is detected through the Control Area Network (CAN), the operations of VSC and TRAC are prohibited by the fail-safe function". 

I Googled all the searches adding Toyota. 

Everything points to the controller assembly part number 222A0-37013, but needs clarifying. 

Check the connections first. 

Good luck.

Konrad

• Like 1

thank you, what you have said does relate to all my looking and would explian why I could never find and EGR for sale that would fit my car. I have got so obsessed with it I have ignored everything else. I would also like to thank you for the diagram this will help me locate the part, test and maybe replace.

will update asap 🙂

3 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Rocker Arm Actuator Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1

update: with regards to the 222A0-37013  not sure if your info you were relating to connection clicp with side slide clip holder, this clip looks in good health, as for the unit (servomotor) is what i think its called acording to google, i couldnt disconect it as it uses 5 sided bolts. i need to get a size 10mm 5 sided one.

also I have been serching google for Rocker Arm Actuator Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1 got a lot of hits returned but think my lack of knowlage or experiance is the issue. but I will keep looing. a side note jimmyfixit solution did work but when the engine became warm it returned, so the lights are not a fasle possitive issue. 

time to keep trying. update later. ty

20 hours ago, khanm78 said:

update: with regards to the 222A0-37013  not sure if your info you were relating to connection clicp with side slide clip holder, this clip looks in good health, as for the unit (servomotor) is what i think its called acording to google, i couldnt disconect it as it uses 5 sided bolts. i need to get a size 10mm 5 sided one.

also I have been serching google for Rocker Arm Actuator Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1 got a lot of hits returned but think my lack of knowlage or experiance is the issue. but I will keep looing. a side note jimmyfixit solution did work but when the engine became warm it returned, so the lights are not a fasle possitive issue. 

time to keep trying. update later. ty

I did a little more research and located the camshaft sensors on the top of the cam cover. 

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2011/avensis/zrt271r-awfepw/2_273560_041_530W/tool-engine-fuel/1104_cylinder-head?pnn=11101J&pa=1533037020

AVENSIS |  CYLINDER HEAD

The camshaft sensors are 11101J .

• Like 1

so been a while, I gave the car to local garage to look at as I could not see anything that had stoped working myself.

thay returned after a week informing me they are 75% sure its the valvematic controller.

new this thing costs about £995 I have found a used one on eBay for £300 Ebay valvematic controller It has a 14 try and see warrenty.

can i just swap these out or do they need to be programed? if this is what it is.

I also plan on taking it to toyota dealer and pay for diagnostics to see whats going on. I feel so bad but i know im at my limitations and dont want to cause more damege by randomly poking around.

cheers.

You can only try the valvematic controller and hope for two things - this is definitely the fault and the replacement is a good working one. I don't think the new unit needs to be programmed to the car, but first pull the EFI fuse or disconnect the Battery. SOme could verify if the controller needs to be programmed to the engine.

thank you Konrad,

I will keep this updated as and when I have more. then maybe get all this condensed down and made more legable for anyone else in th future as a helpful guide with all credit given where its due.

fingers crossed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links