Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Navigation Pin Out Guide / Speed Pulse

craig93

Hi,

I have a 2004 DVD touchscreen navigation unit i am modifiying to fit another vehicle.

The unit has 2 main connectors on the back, on being 10way and the other 6 way.

Could anybody tell me the pin-out for these or more specificaly which is the speed pulse input. I have all the power and Speakers sorted, just need the pulse input.

Have now posted a picture. Woulg ideally like to know all pin outs, but speed pulse is a good start

The radio is a B9003 made by Aisin.

Thanks,

Craig

rr.jpg

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

:bookworm:

Hi Graig, maybe late but if you do not have the information you are looking for, I think i can help you. I have the same GPS (european version but i can help you with the pinouts from that kind.

Please let me know graig. :rolleyes:

I made a couple of pictures and some text who will explain the most.

look at http://users.pandora.be/tfj/toygps/toyota_gps.pdf ;)

looks like the back of my pc. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Has anyone connected the reversing camera option to this navigation unit? I see there is a 2 pin input for it (from Q-one's pdf sheet above - very useful thanks) - is that for NTSC or PAL cameras?

I could not tell you, but as soon as we will have an accident car with a cam who is not in good condition anymore I will try it out.

If someone know something about, I also would like the answer.....

Regards,

Serge.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Graig, maybe late but if you do not have the information you are looking for, I think i can help you. I have the same GPS (european version but i can help you with the pinouts from that kind.

Please let me know graig.  :rolleyes:

look at  http://users.pandora.be/tfj/toygps/toyota_gps.pdf ;)

Has anyone connected the reversing camera option to this navigation unit?  I see there is a 2 pin input for it (from Q-one's pdf sheet above - very useful thanks) - is that for NTSC or PAL cameras?

I would also like tot know if there is a way to input video froim a back-up camera into the Toyota nav screen. I have talked to a couple of aftermarket video conversion people, they both want me to send in my entire unit so that they can modify it internally to take video. But if there is a connector as is shown in the above posted photo?

How do we find out what the pinout of the connectors is and what type of video signal it is looking for?

I could not tell you, but as soon as we will have an accident car with a cam who is not in good condition anymore I will try it out.

If someone know something about, I also  would like the answer.....

Regards,

Serge.

Were you able to connect the output to the Nav system screen?

OK - received the camera last weekend and have been testing it this week. (For example off eBay see my link above). Camera needs to be NTSC and image-reversing otherwise you get the wrong picture on the screen. Connect the cam output to pins 1 and 3 of the 4 pin reverse camera connector on the back of the nav unit. I've not been able to get hold of the proper plugs so have been able to use the small crimps that are normally used to connect to car Speakers, but be careful not to short between any of the 4 pins as this could damage the unit. The centre connection from the camera goes to pin 1, pin 3 to the other (outer) connection. Take the 12v supply for the cam from the rev light circuit. The reverse connection needs to be connected on your nav unit so the unit knows when to switch to the camera image. I've mounted the camera in my high level brake light (dremel job!) and the brake light is still working as well - plenty of room. May be better places to put it in other vehicles (I have a Rav). Any more advice - just let me know!

OK - received the camera last weekend and have been testing it this week. (For example off ebay see my link above).  Camera needs to be NTSC and image-reversing otherwise you get the wrong picture on the screen. Connect the cam output to pins 1 and 3 of the 4 pin reverse camera connector on the back of the nav unit. I've not been able to get hold of the proper plugs so have been able to use the small crimps that are normally used to connect to car speakers, but be careful not to short between any of the 4 pins as this could damage the unit.  The centre connection from the camera goes to pin 1, pin 3 to the other (outer) connection. Take the 12v supply for the cam from the rev light circuit.  The reverse connection needs to be connected on your nav unit so the unit knows when to switch to the camera image.  I've mounted the camera in my high level brake light (dremel job!) and the brake light is still working as well - plenty of room.  May be better places to put it in other vehicles (I have a Rav).  Any more advice - just let me know!

So you got it to work, Great!

The camera that you refer to appears to have a Composite video output, So how did you connect to the pins on the connector of the Nav unit?

I understand that you get the power for the camera from the reverse light. What do you mean by "the reverse circut needs to be connectred to the Nav unit" How di you make that connection? If this Nav system input is designed for a reversing camera doesn't it automatically switch when it seems an input?

Yes, the camera video output is via the standard phono type connector (yellow). Connecting onto the 2 pins on the back of the unit is done by using the small crimps mentioned in my last post - the really small type used for Speakers are OK to push onto the pins with a little modification and care. If anyone knows where to get the correct 4 pin plugs from then please let me know. Centre of phono to pin 1, outer of phono to pin 3.

If you take a look at the pdf file in Q-one's post above it shows a connector that takes the speed sensor, reverse and park brake input. I have connected the first 2 but not the park brake - you can try the camera without the reverse connection made but I fairly sure the unit uses this to switch the camera input to the screen. When my reverse connection came off at the back then the camera picture wouldn't appear so this looks to be true. If you can't find a wire that supplies 12v when the vehicle is in reverse then you may need to run a wire from the reverse lights to the back of the unit. This also help the nav unit know when it's going backwards, otherwise it's getting conflicting information from the gps aerial and speed sensor.

Forgot to clarify above, obviously you need to get a phono type plug (male) to connect to the camera output plug (female), then connect the wires from this to the crimps that fit onto the pins on the back of your nav unit.

Yes, the camera video output is via the standard phono type connector (yellow).  Connecting onto the 2 pins on the back of the unit is done by using the small crimps mentioned in my last post - the really small type used for speakers are OK to push onto the pins with a little modification and care.  If anyone knows where to get the correct 4 pin plugs from then please let me know.  Centre of phono to pin 1, outer of phono to pin 3.

If you take a look at the pdf file in Q-one's post above it shows a connector that takes the speed sensor, reverse and park brake input.  I have connected the first 2 but not the park brake - you can try the camera without the reverse connection made but I fairly sure the unit uses this to switch the camera input to the screen.  When my reverse connection came off at the back then the camera picture wouldn't appear so this looks to be true.  If you can't find a wire that supplies 12v when the vehicle is in reverse then you may need to run a wire from the reverse lights to the back of the unit. This also help the nav unit know when it's going backwards, otherwise it's getting conflicting information from the gps aerial and speed sensor.

Thanks for your continuing information. It is very helpful and appreciated.

A couple more questions.

Which pins on the reverse/speed signal/parking brake connector did you connect from the rerseve light? Also did you connect the +12 VDC AND ground from the backup light ?

Please tell me more about the camera that you used. Someone else mentioned an image-reversing camera, what does that mean? Does the picture look good? How does it look at night and low light conditions?

Also have you tried connecting anything to the Video-DVD connector that Q-one's picture shows?

Please let me know graig.  :rolleyes:

look at  http://users.pandora.be/tfj/toygps/toyota_gps.pdf ;)

This is great information thanks alot!!. Do you by any chance have a photo of the front of the unit so that I can be sure that we have the same Nav unit? I have a 2004 Solara here in the US.

Also where did you get the information about what the variuos connectors are used for?

Thanks

Yes, the camera video output is via the standard phono type connector (yellow).  Connecting onto the 2 pins on the back of the unit is done by using the small crimps mentioned in my last post - the really small type used for speakers are OK to push onto the pins with a little modification and care.  If anyone knows where to get the correct 4 pin plugs from then please let me know.  Centre of phono to pin 1, outer of phono to pin 3.

If you take a look at the pdf file in Q-one's post above it shows a connector that takes the speed sensor, reverse and park brake input.  I have connected the first 2 but not the park brake - you can try the camera without the reverse connection made but I fairly sure the unit uses this to switch the camera input to the screen.  When my reverse connection came off at the back then the camera picture wouldn't appear so this looks to be true.  If you can't find a wire that supplies 12v when the vehicle is in reverse then you may need to run a wire from the reverse lights to the back of the unit. This also help the nav unit know when it's going backwards, otherwise it's getting conflicting information from the gps aerial and speed sensor.

Thanks for your continuing information. It is very helpful and appreciated.

A couple more questions.

Which pins on the reverse/speed signal/parking brake connector did you connect from the rerseve light? Also did you connect the +12 VDC AND ground from the backup light ?

Please tell me more about the camera that you used. Someone else mentioned an image-reversing camera, what does that mean? Does the picture look good? How does it look at night and low light conditions?

Also have you tried connecting anything to the Video-DVD connector that Q-one's picture shows?

One more question, where di you get the information about the connector pinouts?

For the reverse signal, all you need to connect is the +12v wire from your reverse light circuit to the reverse pin on the nav unit - no need to connect the gnd wire as the nav unit already has one connected elsewhere. There will be a wire somewhere in the loom around your fuse box that is +12v when in reverse but you may need to poke around for this. Obviously if you can't find it then go for the wire at the reverse light. You will have to run the video signal from the back to the front anyway, so not too much hassle.

Have you tried clicking on my link to the eBay page in my post from 31 Dec above - that is the exact camera I bought, and it was from a company in the US. Yes the image does need to be reversing as you need to see the same image as if you were looking in a mirror, otherwise you will turn the wheel the wrong way when looking at the screen! The picture is good - fairly clear and works in low light, especially as the reverse lights illuminate anything anyway.

I havn't tried connecting a DVD player yet - that's a future project as I don't know which pins do what yet.

As for the pin outs, I was told about which connections go from the camera in an email from someone on this site a while ago. For the nav unit, I am indebted to Q-one and his excellent rear view of the unit that you also now have. Once I have it installed I can send you some pics - just pm me with your email address.

For the reverse signal, all you need to connect is the +12v wire from your reverse light circuit to the reverse pin on the nav unit - no need to connect the gnd wire as the nav unit already has one connected elsewhere.  There will be a wire somewhere in the loom around your fuse box that is +12v when in reverse but you may need to poke around for this. Obviously if you can't find it then go for the wire at the reverse light. You will have to run the video signal from the back to the front anyway, so not too much hassle.

Have you tried clicking on my link to the ebay page in my post from 31 Dec above - that is the exact camera I bought, and it was from a company in the US.  Yes the image does need to be reversing as you need to see the same image as if you were looking in a mirror, otherwise you will turn the wheel the wrong way when looking at the screen! The picture is good - fairly clear and works in low light, especially as the reverse lights illuminate anything anyway.

I havn't tried connecting a DVD player yet - that's a future project as I don't know which pins do what yet.

As for the pin outs, I was told about which connections go from the camera in an email from someone on this site a while ago.  For the nav unit, I am indebted to Q-one and his excellent rear view of the unit that you also now have. Once I have it installed I can send you some pics - just pm me with your email address.

Thanks againg for all of your help. It sounds like an easy project.

Which pin on the Reverse/speed/parking brake sensor gets the +12 VDC from the reverse sensor? It looks like from the photo from Q-one that it is pin 5 which already has a wire in it coming from reverse circuit?

Do you have a photo of the front of your Nav unit so I can see if we have the same unit?

The photo from Q-one shows the plug that would fit into the back of your nav unit if it was part of your wiring loom. Chances are there will not be a 5 pin plug in your exisiting vehicles wiring loom which is why you need to mess about with crimps or some other way of connecting the wire to the pin on the back of the nav unit. Yes, it is pin 5 that the 12v from the reverse light needs to go to, and I would also recommend that you connect the speed sensor as this helps the unit know where it is. I am not sure where this speed signal will come from on your particular car though as I only know about the Rav 4.

Did you purchase your unit from oemvalue, or somewhere else? As long as yours is the same at the back you should be OK.

The photo from Q-one shows the plug that would fit into the back of your nav unit if it was part of your wiring loom.  Chances are there will not be a 5 pin plug in your exisiting vehicles wiring loom which is why you need to mess about with crimps or some other way of connecting the wire to the pin on the back of the nav unit.  Yes, it is pin 5 that the 12v from the reverse light needs to go to, and I would also recommend that you connect the speed sensor as this helps the unit know where it is.  I am not sure where this speed signal will come from on your particular car though as I only know about the Rav 4.

Did you purchase your unit from oemvalue, or somewhere else? As long as yours is the same at the back you should be OK.

Thanks again. I want to get as much information as I can before I rip apart my dash to connect the camera. I have not bought the camera yet but, it is only $50 so I will probably go ahead and hope it will connect as easliy as your did.

My Nav unit was factory installed (2004 Solara). Mine also has the capability to add a Toyota XM radio which I have done. The XM radio mounts in the trunk with a cable that plugs into the back of the radio/Nav unit. I remeber when I did this that there were several more unused connectors on the back of the radio/Nav unit so it is likely (I hope) that I have on my Nav unit the same unused connectors as are shown in the photo. We likley have slightly different models of Nav units. The Sienna has a backup camera option so hopefully all of the Toyota Nav units are mostly the same and all have the camera input.

I am pretty sure that the speed sensor is already connected becuase most of the Nav screen buttons gray out when I am going more than about 5 MPH. I think that the Nav system also uses this speed info for dead reckoning when it has not aquired GPS.

If your unit was factory installed then your reverse connection is almost certainly already on the unit so no need to worry about that. Just connect the power source to the camera (ie from rev light circuit, or any 12v supply that comes on with ignition) and connect the video output from the cam to the nav unit pins 1 and 3 and you should be fine.Just finished my camera installation this morning and it's excellent - will hopefully have some pics soon. A piece of normal tv aerial co-ax is fine to carry the vid signal from the back to the front. The wide angle (110 degrees) camera is perfect for the job.

If your unit was factory installed then your reverse connection is almost certainly already on the unit so no need to worry about that. Just connect the power source to the camera (ie from rev light circuit, or any 12v supply that comes on with ignition) and connect the video output from the cam to the nav unit pins 1 and 3 and you should be fine.Just finished my camera installation this morning and it's excellent - will hopefully have some pics soon.  A piece of normal tv aerial co-ax is fine to carry the vid signal from the back to the front.  The wide angle (110 degrees) camera is perfect for the job.

Yes the reverse signal is there. I went on the toyota technical manual website and found out how to put the nav unit into diag mode (it is differnt than waht is listed in an earler post) One of the screens, monitors inputs to the nav unit including revese signal. I aslo saw some references to a camera which were grayed out.

I didn't find any refernces to the camera input but I did on the Sienna which has a camera as an option. The connector and the pinout that you and Q-one refered to are confirmed on the Sienna.

Hopefuly I have the same connector on mine. I ordered the camera and will find out soon. My only concern is that the camera is only rated down to 14 degrees F and I live in Minneaplois (a very cold place).

I look forward to the photos. I will also take some when I do my install.