Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimtaxi

jimtaxi

How difficult is it to completely overhaul the rear calipers on a 2012 Avensis it has the EPB.

Can't give you a definitive answer on that but one of the difficult bits would be getting a proper write up from a workshop manual and exploded view diagrams of how it all dismantles and fits together. Availability of seal kits might be another.

Do you happen to know how the adjusters work on these calipers ie do you need a windback tool for the pistons? 

It look no more difficult than the if it had the standard parking brake.

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2012/avensis/adt270l-awfeyw/2_273560_004_530W/powertrain-chassis/4707_rear-disc-brake-caliper-dust-cover

Also see the reset procedure if you have flashing EPB and caution indicators

I have the 2009 car and recently changed the disc and pads. Again no issues.

1 hour ago, TomdeGuerre said:

Can't give you a definitive answer on that but one of the difficult bits would be getting a proper write up from a workshop manual and exploded view diagrams of how it all dismantles and fits together.

should all be available on toyota-tech.eu albeit chargeable.

29 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

should all be available on toyota-tech.eu albeit chargeable.

I've never had any luck trying to access that site, must go back and try it some time. but I recall someone saying Toyota only deals in exchange calipers now.

If the caliper bore is pitted and corroded or if the piston's seized it's better just to replace the whole caliper anyway (dead horse syndrome). If it's only sticky then it would clean up but you don't always need to completely strip it down to do that, just push the piston out far enough out with the brake pedal, clean it up and lubricate it. 

57 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

It look no more difficult than the if it had the standard parking brake.

You're right Konrad but if the OP wants to completely strip down the automatic adjuster end of the caliper there's precious little information about that.  

• Like 1