Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any help would be very appreciated

Tee786Avensis

Hello TOC,

I'm wondering if anyone has come across the symptoms my car is showing?  

I have a 2010 avensis 2.2 dcat which has given me problem free driving for over 3 years now. However last week a few lights showed up and 2 messages showing up on the dash and the car has gone into a very sluggish state. I've noticed though, when I start the engine and drive away it drives normal with the lights still showing but after a few minutes it goes into the sluggish state again. The mechanic says the EGR valve must be clogged so he cleaned the EGR valve very thoroughly and he reset the lights on the dash. The car drove as normal for a day but the lights all showed up again and it went into the sluggish state again. The mechanic is now suggesting it could be the electronic bit of the EGR valve that's probably causing the issue so suggesting to change the EGR valve altogether. 

I've attached pics of my dashboard so you can see all the lights showing up. 

Would the EGR valve cause all this to happen? 

20160724_233911.jpg

20160724_233857.jpg

the light on the bottom left is the engine management light, you need a code reader to read the codes, what codes are coming up??

The "check parking brake system" could mean an EPB fault. Does the EPB work making the normal noises associated with releasing and engaging? Any other warning indicators like the EPB light flashing, and has the car been raise to see if the rear wheels spin freely?

If the EPB is working the the next issue could be the control units need to be cleared, reset, and calibrated. The most simple for the calibration is the jumper pins 4 and 12 on the OBD socket as detailed on the following post:- 

It may or may not work, but it seems to be the 'new' general fix. All the control units seemed to be linked to each other, and something you think is not related can trip another circuit.

Here is another post that shows this jump trick fixing the steering angle calibration:- 

The garage may not know some of these latest Toyota tricks, so take the car back and show the mechanic this and the other post. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avensisd4d786 said:

the light on the bottom left is the engine management light, you need a code reader to read the codes, what codes are coming up??

The codes displayed on the mechanics laptop were P0488 - Throttle position control range/performance. He suggested it's to do with air flow so thinks it's the EGR valve causing the lights to trigger on. 

20160723_155430.jpg

6 hours ago, Konrad C said:

The "check parking brake system" could mean an EPB fault. Does the EPB work making the normal noises associated with releasing and engaging? Any other warning indicators like the EPB light flashing, and has the car been raise to see if the rear wheels spin freely?

If the EPB is working the the next issue could be the control units need to be cleared, reset, and calibrated. The most simple for the calibration is the jumper pins 4 and 12 on the OBD socket as detailed on the following post:- 

It may or may not work, but it seems to be the 'new' general fix. All the control units seemed to be linked to each other, and something you think is not related can trip another circuit.

Here is another post that shows this jump trick fixing the steering angle calibration:- 

The garage may not know some of these latest Toyota tricks, so take the car back and show the mechanic this and the other post. 

Thanks Konrad. The EPB works fine when engaging and disengaging. It makes all the normal noises associated it should. I showed my mechanic the attached posts and he carried out the instructions as shown but the lights are still appearing on the dash and the car still in limp mode. I've decided to go ahead with my mechanics suggestion and ordered a new EGR valve to be replaced. Hopefully it will sort the issue out but I'll reply back once the EGR valve has been changed to give you an update. Thanks

• Like 1

There is a TSB ( Technical service bulletin ) for the ADT271 Avensis built before March where P0488 is set, this is caused by a failed Throttle body/software fault the bulletin reference is 

EG-0167T-0311-EN and the fix is a new Throttle body and software update for the engine ECU depending on the symptoms:

P0488, loss of power and abnormal noise from the throttle body - New Throttle body part number 26100-0R020 and ECU update approx 2.2 hours of work.

P0488 and loss of power only - Just a ECU software update approx 0.9 hours of work.

The software update would have to be carried out by a Toyota dealer

2 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

There is a TSB ( Technical service bulletin ) for the ADT271 Avensis built before March where P0488 is set, this is caused by a failed Throttle body/software fault the bulletin reference is 

EG-0167T-0311-EN and the fix is a new Throttle body and software update for the engine ECU depending on the symptoms:

P0488, loss of power and abnormal noise from the throttle body - New Throttle body part number 26100-0R020 and ECU update approx 2.2 hours of work.

P0488 and loss of power only - Just a ECU software update approx 0.9 hours of work.

The software update would have to be carried out by a Toyota dealer

Thanks for this Devon. So are these TSB's like recalls or common faults the vehicle has that Toyota know about? If I take the car to my local Toyota dealer and they say it needs a ECU update and a new Throttle body, would I be charged for the work to be carried out by them?

I've booked the car in for a diagnostic check on Wednesday to Mr T. Let's see what they say. I'll keep you updated on the situation. 

Thanks guys

• Like 1

Sorry the existence of a TSB is not entitlement to a free repair they are desigend as repair assitance for dealers and the issue is not subject to any form of customer satisfaction campaign or recall. If this is the issue any repairs would be chargeable.

TSB's are effectively just information sharing on things that are known to happen and what to do about it, so that the mechanics don't have to go through a lengthy diagnostic procedure and trial/error fixes.

• Like 1

So I've had the car seen by the main dealer and had a diagnostic check done by them. They have suggested the EGR valve needs replacing. They quoted me silly money so I've ordered a EGR valve online and will get my mechanic to fit it. Hopefully should be sorted by the weekend. Will update again once the new EGR valve is in.

It's rare the EGR valve actually needs replacing... usually it's just clogged with soot and needs a good soak and scrub with some carb cleaner.

When I had issues with my D4D, I also had the EGR cleaned with no effect. It turned out the EGR is connected to a throttle body that is also connected to the turbo, and there is a small port about the radius of a 5p that was so completely blocked with soot it looked like it wasn't there!

It may be the case with yours so it's worth getting your mechanic to check that and give it good clean if needed too.

• 1 year later...

Same error came up on my Avensis T4 D4D (Check Parking Brake System). Computer error was 0488 EGR Throttle Range/Position. Turned out to be throttle body which is located below the EGR. I replaced throttle body with identical second hand one. Fuel economy is 34MPG. Book says 50MPG. Any recommendations of what to do next?

Hi David, welcome to TOC :smile:

You don't say which engine & transmission that you have. However, don't take the official fuel economy figures as gospel as instead they are known to not reflect "real world" results. Better to look at something like this https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2009

Also, the type of driving that you do & your own driving style will have a noticeable impact. If you are doing short, urban journeys where the engine never reaches optimum operating temp (& the AD series engines are known to take a long time to warm up) you will have low mpg. Other things will also have an impact e.g tyres & tyre inflation.