Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm in for the LONG HAUL... :<)

tooSavvy

Well.... Hello!!

Carina2.jpeg

I'm picking this beauty up on Monday, Aug 1st.

Dec 1991, 2 fastidious owners, 79k, (clutch + belt)... and NO RUST!!

It is on 13" at the moment but I fancy 14" x 6" steels and some 'low key' alloy look wheeltrims. Not into alloys per se.

More piccies to follow, when I get it home from Doon Sooth.

2sav

Hello John - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

• Like 1

Are you doing a JDM thing with it? Like the idea about the wheels!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

Are you doing a JDM thing with it? Like the idea about the wheels!

Hi M8

Aghhhhhh.... JDM Aghhhhhh

No damn Jay Dee Ermmm??.. ere!!

No No.... I was juss sayyinn, lyke, I fancy upping the steel and just going for 'somethin kool' but clip on :ph34r:

I'm aware buying off Amazon/Fleebayy can result in some "Oi!.. looks nowt like the piccie", but you can but try :smile:

My current car has, as I speak, disappeared in a flurry of £££ (safely secured in my jeans pocket) with a real 'stout, salt o'the earth' guy for his Missuss.

I have extricated myself from ExCar and, with the simple addititon of 100 of the Queens coinage, secured the Toyyo.....

Road Tax has gone from £130 to £235... and I expect wallet drainage [on fuel] to be proportional to my Hooning Rightfoot :angel_not:

.... and so it should be :biggrin:

More 2 Kumm

2sav

YaY.....

Todays the day!

I'm off after lunch to Chester (3 1/2 hours) with the SiL, in his car, and then we will 'convoy' back to Tyneside :smile:

Given return journey starts about 7PM, I'll be sampling the delights of ToyyoGlimmer (Osram nightbreaker bulbs have been fitted to other cars of mine).... So we wait and [hopefully] see!

My GreenFlag has been changed over and I'm looking forward to never using it.........

My 'collection survival pack' has in it :- oil/water/brake fluid/broad wraptape/spanner roll/led torch/cotton cloths.

More photos tomorrow

Wish me lu>>> Nah! It's a bloominn Toyota :balloon:

2sav

Well... Well... Well. :wink:

Home safe and sound.

Piccies in a bit.

2sav

Well then!

No rust..... :smile:

Top engine oil leak which has effected a 'BMC subframe rustproof treatment' over most of the engine & box.
*hence* No rust.....

It is a carb not EFi.

Woolie_Savv.jpg

Have a 'Willam Woolard' bumper shot...

It goes like a train & drinks like one!!  lol

All electric & ALL work. Massive [don't use the word large] glass tilt/slide..... ran all the way home on tilt.... it sucks a massive blast thru the face vents + you can hear the truck engines as you whoosh past!
You can't hear anything else as it is virtually silent.

Following SiL in his 65 derv renner, he was chopping up the traffic along the motorway 70-85-70-85 and I was tailgating him.... The car is, indeed, virtually silent until you whack its RUMP >> the rev counter/velocity/boombox all explode in a quite addictive manner.

Must exercise restraint, lad! :ph34r:

I thought it would be 5x100 hub nut but it has only 4x100 (I know cos it has a wheeltrim missing). I am on a search for 6.5J14 replacement wheels & new tyres... 4 stud might broaden my choice from the breakers - we will see :wink:

High level brakelight and new number plates will keep me going for now....

I like it and feel fortunate (and the car likely, too!) to be custodian rather than going to OvalFodder.

Shopping_trips.jpg

see... I'm parking 'strategically' so no twonk 'dings' my minttie doors.... lol

2sav

Well.... Collectioneering now safely completed, it's down to finding out what needs titivating and/or Replacing....

The offending Weapon...

Toyo_Engine1.jpg

Q1. Anyone know what this is for/does (the pipe to the hot ex/cold mornings starting) is off to the right?

Toyo_Engine2.jpg

... and I shudder to think what all these rubber pipes do (and will be considering binning it all!!)

Toyo_Engine6.jpg

My first FTP!! (well FT..O) to be precise.. I couldn't get the flipper/lever to pop the bonnet open.

I got my waterpumps on the actual cable as it exits the bracket (under the dash) and heaved mightily icon_confused.gif

BONGGGG... It popped.. However, I see it is all lathered in grease and NOT sticky, at all. I reclosed the bonnet with the smallest of drops and it opened again without any trouble.

A lesson learned... 3" drop ONLY icon_razz.gif

Looking to sort out 14x6j wheels atm. VW are the likely choice. Nice alloys on the Bayy... really prefer steel, though.

Keep looking in, folks!

2sav

s-l1600.jpg

4x100 7x15 ET37

... and the tyres 195/50x15 are good substitute for 165/80x13. Will do the 4 @ £100.

Gateshead FTW

2sav

Collected my wheels... I'm unsure they will actually go on, time will tell.

I have looked on toyotnation and 195/50x15 seems common - but they dont seem to reference a ET number, seem to go on about 1", 2", 0" ?

Anyway, discovered a brake light out and unscrewed the taillamp housing and swapped the twim filament bulb... Very simple fix :smile:

2sav

I have ordered a s/h Haynes manual, 1991 Corolla. £7 delivered.

I read on here there was no Haynes for Carina, but Corolla has same 'oily bits' :wink:

2sav

On 03/08/2016 at 5:32 PM, tooSavvy said:

Q1. Anyone know what this is for/does (the pipe to the hot ex/cold mornings starting) is off to the right?

Toyo_Engine2.jpg

... and I shudder to think what all these rubber pipes do (and will be considering binning it all!!)

Toyo_Engine6.jpg

2sav

In the top picture I'd assume that to be a collector chamber if the air intake is under the front wing. Prolly separates out the rain and snow before it gets to the air filter.

Lower picture - better to get about 3 feet of small bore rubber hose and start replacing instead of just binning the lot! All kinds of wee diaphragms and things in there. If they leak they'll play havoc with your idle speed and fuel economy.

• Like 1

We are over in the lakes area for a break. 600 miles since getting her.

Boring.. Boring.. Boring.. Refuel.. repeat :balloon:

I have, however, noticed my 'interactive' engine temp gauge.. Normal chugging along centre position BUT if I drive on a very light throttle, gently down a long downhill, the needle drops and climbs back when I power on?

I know easy duties lowers the engines heat output... But I would think the stat would strangle rad (well cold) to maintain engine temp??

It heats quickly and is steady overall.. deffo got a working stat!

2sav

Clocked 80,000 today.... 808 miles since 01 Aug!!

The car is FAB....

Well Pleased, are we.

2sav

20160814_160105.jpg

Today I got shot of those godawful SunVisors...... icon_confused.gif

The wouldn't swing down/stay up... out of the way... and moving them sounded like a door catching on the wing!!

A quick trip along the Tyne to Ouseburn, Pringles Dismantlers, had me ahold of two of GMs finest... lately off Corsa @ £10.

Off with the old

Visor2.jpg

Rajjin the GM arm out & ramming the Toyota arm in......

Visor1.jpg

And we now have two civilised flapperoos + they go up & down and side to side [for side sunblinding]

Visor3.jpg

.... From Within...

Visor4.jpg

.... and Without...

Visor5.jpg

Can't stand $hitey crap that is no damn use.....

2sav  icon_razz.gif 

• Haha 1

Cool flappers man. Check out the VRX engine for a hot swap:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

• Like 1

Done a fuelly..... I'm getting 41mpg.

Un.. bloominn.. believable!! :balloon:

I will be keeping a close eye on all those rubber manifold pipes, going forward :wink:

2sav

The Renault 25 had a visor that would cover the bit of window above the rear view mirror. If you could find one in a scrap yard it'd look alright and would be a benefit when driving.

so then....

I had a few piccies sent to me showing the body generally.. and 'slight scabbiness' in particular. Nothing too terrible :ph34r:

I have been working my way around the vehicle [as well as being at work all the bloominn time....] and had a bit of a shock!!

ExtFrameseal_split.jpg

This is a 'total door seal' exterior... but it has failed/split...

WindowtoFrame_Holed.jpg

... a possibility that water has pooled/puddled at the split & had for the door skin icon_eek.gif

NS_SillEnd.jpg

I had a picture of this 'pre purchase'... I believe an application of wire/flap + corrosion killer + finish painting (waxoyl on the inside) will see this through a few more winters....

Replacement doors are not really 'lying around'..... so some 'Boddjitt 'n Scarper' will have to suffice.

I will have the door card off (for fuller access) and will corrosion inhibit spray the door skin internals... likely do all 4 !!

2sav

5 minutes ago, tooSavvy said:

Replacement doors are not really 'lying around'..... so some 'Boddjitt 'n Scarper' will have to suffice.

I will have the door card off (for fuller access) and will corrosion inhibit spray the door skin internals... likely do all 4 !!

Nothing wrong with a Bodge, remember (well you won't, you're too young) but Miss Shilling's orifice was a bodge and it helped to win WW2 

• Like 1

Hrrumphh!! 'I know all about it... I will soldier on wivv carbs & leave fuel inj for [the]Losers' ;)

I'm happy to imagine the rust in the door is around the weld points/unpainted.. It doesn't look like any of it is moving anywhere. :)

2sav

Don't go attacking that rust with too much gusto mon ami, wee scaly, rusty bits can turn into big scary holes toot sweet. Gently does it.  

• Like 1

My previous (PROTON Savvy) had 'reverse bleepers' and, by heck, you can get used to them!!

As I have bought 4foot of 'invisible rear end', and don't want to 'park by braille' :ohmy:, I have splashed £10 on this ChinkkieChooz

2011_4_Parking_Sensors_LED_Car_Backup.jp

Similarly - anyone notice how LOWwwww the roofline is on these cars??? - I'm upgrading my "I AM DECELERATING...YES I'm talking to you MrBMW" lights.

SODIALR-Red-24-LED-Car-Vehicle-Third-Bra

Gotts to be worth £4 of anyones money.....

2sav

• Like 1