Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm in for the LONG HAUL... :<)

tooSavvy

Wicked, I need to change mine this year. The one thing that annoys me about the AUX connections on all head units is that there's no pre-amp to boost the volume of the audio on input. You have to whack the volume up to silly levels on the head unit. Then when you park it up and forget about it, you turn the radio on and hello instant deafness!

• Like 1

As I am planning to butcher the Toyyo loom adapter, soldering in the existing tails from the AIWA to suit, I see a gr8 opportunity to 'pre plan' power/earth connection for the Plip Lock unit :wink:.

I will run away a red & black tail, about 2 foot, and thus easily giving me a 'quality connection' up above the brake pedal - no loom chop required. Seempilz..!

2sav

Are you going to implement a Dashcam wiring thing to it as well? Might be a good idea if you're doing all of the above.

• Like 1

I'm not having a 'dashcam' atm.

My 'loom adapter' arrived the other day.... OF COURSE >> I CUT THE ENDS OFF :laugh:

Radio_Loom.jpg

I have just to solder the tails from the AIWA radio.... :wink:

2sav

Soldering didn't go too well..... :wacko:

The tips all silvered but I could not get them to fuse to each other... Very Odd :huh:

Trusty 'Choccy blok' connectors to the rescue... Weyy aye!!

Radio_LoomWired.jpg

4 screws and fascia off... 4 screws in bracket supports HU [removed]... Toyyo HU is 'inside' the DIN Hole >> AIWA has a collar so is 'outside'/slid through the DIN Hole.

Holes in Toyyo bracket lined up, at the rear, so all is tight as a drum in there :wink:

HeadUnit_AIWA_Working.jpg

*all sorted...

Fed the +12v/Earth tails through the dash and they are coiled loosely, just down by the clutch pedal.

Absolutely Steaminn... 'buried the needle'... Rockkinnonn YaY :balloon:

2sav

• 2 weeks later...

Just popped £13 (delivered!) for 4x NGK plugs. Amazon UK.

Likely I might find cheaper but, hell! - I'm too damn lazy ;)

2sav

... postscript to radio install/USB stickplayer.

I have got it to 'pair' with my phone so [by simply tapping my phone] I have music from my phone belting out.

Same selection... so no real gain lol

No one ever rings me though :(

2sav

Would one of the pairs of wires be aluminium or something? I know you can still do it but you need a huge amount of heat applied to the wires for the solder to take.

Looking good though! Were the NGK plus Iridium? Or just your bog standard sparkies?

• Like 1

On 15/02/2017 at 11:32 AM, mickburkesnr said:

Would one of the pairs of wires be aluminium or something? I know you can still do it but you need a huge amount of heat applied to the wires for the solder to take.

Looking good though! Were the NGK plus iridium? Or just your bog standard sparkies?

Don't think they are super-duper lyke :<)

I prefer NGK in any wheels of mine.... (Even in my IMP days!)

2sav

Bought some new wipers today.... on it were Bosch but a bit screechy.

Blades_box.jpg

The car has been modified with 'euro std' fitting.

Blades_ToyyoMod.jpg

Blades_ToyyoMod_1.jpg

Greenline = £10 the pair.... well, better than £11ea @ Halfrauds!! :wacko:

2sav

Doubleheader_Buckle.jpg

These peek out from under the rear seats, N/S.

**One will not accept the seatbelt tongue so I can't carry 3 in the back. :wacko:

** DOH!! The clue is in the picture...... Only the 'CENTRE' will accept the lap >>> It won't latch the shoulder :blush:

In my defence.... I was told of this 'fault' & I don't travel in the back.... lolz

2sav

Back now from our short break @ Carlisle. 505 miles of effortless wafting :cool:

... marred 'only marginally' by some frantic scrabbling for grip [we had to stop, going up Kirkstone Pass, as a herd if cows came clattering down!!] and these tyres (already on my alloys as bought) are a bit meh! Tyre Age/Date Code = 4501

FORD%20AlloyNuts_3.jpg

Have a piccie of us resting on the way down the other side, towards Carlisle.

KirkstoneFeb_2017.jpg

I will be out looking for a good deal on a set of 4 195/55-15.

The ones on are 50s.... 55 gives the correct rolling radius of 165/80-13 that were originals :smile:

**TYRE NEWS**.... 'let your fingers do the walking'.....

Likely will drop in to ATS (top of my High Street) and sort out supply/fit 4x :-

Landsail LS388. 195/55-15 @ £44.95 fitted.

http://www.tyrerevie...il/LS388-AS.htm

... cannot be harrassed with ffinn about :-P

2sav

Well.... how to make a 10min job into a 3 act drama!! :blink:

I have 4 plugs = Check

I don't have a 16MM A/F plug socket = Buy One* = Check

NGK_PlugSocket.jpg

Find the socket will hold plug, as it has rubber boot inside. = Check

DISCOVER..... boot will not let plug back out, when pressed in... Grrrr :angry:

Cut a slice out of boot to reduce grip & feel happy about the set-up.

Open Bonnet.....

Feed plug socket down/onto plug/remove = Check

Insert new plug into socket/smear of engine oil on threads/lower plug/screw in +quarter turn...... DAMN!! Extension is not a tight enough fit/grip in plug socket square to pull socket up/off sparkplug... Socket sitting snugly at bottom of steel tube, in head...... DAMN!!

Connect extension/unscrew newly fitted sparkplug >> pull out of socket >> chuck rubber boot on ground >> ?? How to insert/lower plug ?? :huh:

IDEA..... I have a magnetic tip screwdriver thinggie (godsend for wayward spanners/lost & lying on chassis leg etc) so lower plug into head & thread with bare Plug Socket.

JOB DONE :balloon:

NGK out = NGK in.... all looking very clean. Just happy to benchmark a new set fitted.

NGK%20in%20and%20out.jpg

*note. I haven't had a 16MM plug size car before.... My PROTON Savvy [which is fitted with the D4F Clio 1.2 16V] required a 14MM Plug Spanner... I found the box spanner (shown here) in the tool roll out of my old Skoda Estelle - I stuck a bit of old steel tube in one end and it was bonnzza!!

DIY_SAVVY_Plugspanner.jpg

2sav

Tyres are on.....

Carina_front_2.jpg

Slightly less 'gangsta stance' evident 8)

Found my tyres with a load of others, as delivered. Lots of other sizes of Landsail in the plile!

Hoops_a_GoGo.jpg

Not alot of clearance on the strut >> however, no worse than the others. That ET37 is key.

Mind_the_Gap.jpg

Mind_the_Gap_1.jpg

SO then... nice and quiet and the wheel centring hasn't moved/no squirming or anything odd. :-P

2sav

The oil running in the gearbox is an 'unknown'.... I had my garage check it was full (during the service) but not changed.

Seems this is a go-err, on Toyotanation.. GBox oil :- Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W synthetic manual transmission oil  ??

Anyone with 'my' box, like Corolla/Carina/CarinaE had any refills.....:mellow:

Gearbox is an C50, I believe.. ??

2sav

Landsail.jpg

The Landsail LOGO is moulded* along the centre rib...

*coloured for clarity here.

2sav

Looking to get a couple of belts for the car....

PAS = 3PK630

W/Pump & Alt = 5PK965

Ebay* likely the best place... probably 6 or 9 quids :wink:

*Local Factors.... £19 the pair = Next day/not in stock.

I'm happy to have them in the boot... the ones on are not looking too shabby, but at least I can swap at my leisure :smile:

2sav

• 2 weeks later...

I splurged £1 in PoundWorld for a no-brand tin of 'fizzing' spray grease.

The door hinges are looking a bit fretty and winter weathered.... GR8 stuff!

It fizzes/liquefies/gloops & then sets to grease :wink:

2sav

On 04/03/2017 at 11:39 AM, tooSavvy said:

The oil running in the gearbox is an 'unknown'.... I had my garage check it was full (during the service) but not changed.

Seems this is a go-err, on Toyotanation.. GBox oil :- Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W synthetic manual transmission oil  ??

Anyone with 'my' box, like Corolla/Carina/CarinaE had any refills.....:mellow:

Gearbox is an C50, I believe.. ??

2sav

I changed the oil in my Corolla's gearbox with 75w stuff. Seems alright, albeit it's wetting itself from a seal that needs replacing.

Have you not gone for the Lucas oil additive? "Supposed" to make the gears run smoother in the engine, and I think there's a version for gearboxes too.

• Like 1

Over on Auto$hite (my other home) a lad is dealing [attempting to....] with leaks on a Smart.

quote>

I was going to get some proper Krytox that is recommended for VW EOS seals, but that is priced at ~£40 a bottle. The Smart enthusiasts websites recommend the catchy named GummiPflege. At a fiver a bottle, it's much more reasonable. 

... my door seals are a bit flat/shiney @ 26Yr, so anything to 'plump them up' is all good :smile:

Will report back.

2sav

Itchy [Amazon] trigger finger again!

Embossed ally plates (NO!! NO damn country logo... grrr)

Just like you see on tippers & plant ... LoveEmm :tongue:

From Glasgee

2sav

On 1/28/2017 at 8:14 AM, mickburkesnr said:

Wicked, I need to change mine this year. The one thing that annoys me about the AUX connections on all head units is that there's no pre-amp to boost the volume of the audio on input. You have to whack the volume up to silly levels on the head unit. Then when you park it up and forget about it, you turn the radio on and hello instant deafness!

A feature of my AIWA is the 'pre set' on the AUX. I switch off the ign and it goes off... Switch engine on/aux position and it comes on again - displaying AUX IN & totally silent.

Unless I push buttons for radio or slip in a tape .. no sounds.

I know I must adjust sound levels for other inputs  BUT no nasty surprises :wink:

2sav

I'm looking at including some tech in to the car, replacing the head unit altogether and just use an onboard computer holding my music and podcasts but allow for an AUX port as well, if I want to use a phone.