Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm in for the LONG HAUL... :<)

tooSavvy

What do you want one of those ancient old things for, when you can have a set of digital ones for peanuts :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wedgehog said:

What do you want one of those ancient old things for, when you can have a set of digital ones for peanuts :rolleyes:

..... aye, mebbies £24.

I can use this to hold two pieces of plastic together, whist the Araldite hardens >> so a fiver does for me :laugh:

2sav

That's a good price, nice tool lol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

..... aye, mebbies £24.

I can use this to hold two pieces of plastic together, whist the Araldite hardens >> so a fiver does for me :laugh:

2sav

Hee hee, Tight git :laugh:

• Haha 1

Two nasty winters had 'frazzled' the plate/welding, done just after buying the car...

41077821145_853a9f62ef_c.jpg

Taking advantage of the warm dry weather I have buffed off the scabby paint and refinished with Lidl 'one-coat'.

27108441097_7fb340554d_c.jpg

There is no further corrosion evident - I lashed the sill/arch void with Waxoyl at the time!! :cool:

2sav

Should keep it at bay for a while mate, funny! I was working on that exact same area on my Carina today :cool:

• 2 months later...

I have acquired a small tft display and wondered what use I might put it to....

Reversing Camera Display !!

.... BUT .... Where to put it/integrate it conveniently into the dashboard 🤔

Fortunately the screen casing is EXACTLY the gap of the Ashtray slot...

43524461151_1f565a6e0b_c.jpg

43524436731_7473342f13_c.jpg

Having made this significant discovery.... I hacksawed the frontplate off the ashtray moulding [I don't smoke!!] and epoxy glued it to the bottom edge of the screen case.

43476951732_3c6df12ae3_c.jpg

So that the screen makes a smooth and easy slot IN/OUT I have added guide lugs to the inner top edges, able to pivot within the guide slots....

28637040367_3aabc53ce1_c.jpg

Enabling me to pull out the screen and have it drop easily down, behind the gearlever and present a good viewing angle for the camera 😉. I haven't completed the installation just yet - still need to put the camera above the rear plate (in the light bar) and run the cabling under the carpet.

Will report back soon

2sav

• Like 1

Hi John,

Although I have an Aygo, I've been following this thread for a couple of years now, you've done great things and your Carina is a credit to you but.....Crikey, you've outdone yourself this time!!!

That little mod is pure genius!

Well done and keep up the good work!

All the best.😃

• Thanks 1

Hey, there you are, you haven't posted since may, I thought you had left us? Excellent, well done mate, bet you were a boy scout :-)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm contemplating a discrete window sticker for the back...

Don't laugh - Celica in a 'sharp suit' M8 😉

...for the laugh!

2sav

• 2 weeks later...

I have been getting a distinct 'ptatta ptatta ptatta' chuff from the exhaust, exactly as it fires up  🤔

My trusty ATS Wallsend, who fitted my new front section, were visited [they have a body lift!!] and opinions sought....  😮

I have a distinct hole, right on the sleeve where the under floor cross pipe kinks up and joins the back box/over axle.

43207912505_1fdbdf6eef_n.jpg

..... a finger of Exhaust Paste has been applied and we left it ticking over for 5mins to set.... OK 4 NOW  😋

P1090808.JPG
*looks like this

..... expert opinion is that we have a couple of years left in the whole assembly but a 'wrap n bodge' is called for...

mv363.jpg
*should look a bit like this

I shall back up onto my ramps and do the tin can + wormclip + exhaust putty 😎

I have bought some gummy-tape, on line (car plan MSB 111)

Good thing is that the Toyota pipe is well secured and is unlikely to snap... just rot through...

2sav

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2018 at 6:11 PM, PaulinhoT said:

Nice little touches. Any plans on changing the exhaust ?

.... Mebbies in a 'couple of years'.... 😜 

2sav

• Haha 1

He's got to wait until he has collected enough beer cans to join together :devil2:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, wedgehog said:

He's got to wait until he has collected enough beer cans to join together :devil2:

Sounds like a plan 😄

:biggrin:

I have just done a pig of a job. The lighter socket on my Camry packed up and I use it for charging my phone, I thought well there must be a fuse somewhere, so I looked through them all under the bonnet, wasn't there, I knew there was another little fuse panel hiding behind a little fold down storage flap low on the right side of the dash. I looked there and sure enough there was the fuse, but it was ok and it had power on it?

Ended up stripping the centre unit out to get at the socket and found that the power comes in on a spade connector and then there is a short bit of wire linking it to the centre pin of the socket and it was broken. So had to take it all out and solder a new wire on. seems stupid to have a bit of wire that fails before the fuse!

Anyway working now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news on fixing the problem, and the layout does seem well engineered.

Back to MY thread, on MY car..... 😜

I collected 2x flatpack from IKEA = big wardrobe & almost got them in the back! Drop down rear seats are gr8 but the parcel shelf restricts under height/seats don't go flat... 2foot sticking out & a hiviz jacket draped over.

😞

2sav

• 2 weeks later...

I have studied some 'carb modding' Utoobs, on my 4A-F 16V engine.

https://youtu.be/7bKu0EX8cWM

One is called the 'vac spring reverse', disabling the lock out on the opening of the second barrel unless a vacuum diaphragm allows it..... 

Old petrol sniffers here, will recall 28/36 Webers as 'progressive' twin chokes... My AISAN is a twinchoke too 🙂

Much dismantling is shown in the vids, to relocate the operating spring, to press the other way = thus unlock the second venturi to open across the throttle opening range.

I plan a 'mod' of my own, simply using a heavy wire to 'lock out' the op rod and free the secondary choke operation... No need to dismantle/disturb the carb in situ.

Will report [with piccies] soon.

2sav

On 9/7/2018 at 10:15 AM, tooSavvy said:

I have studied some 'carb modding' Utoobs, on my 4A-F 16V engine.

https://youtu.be/7bKu0EX8cWM

One is called the 'vac spring reverse', disabling the lock out on the opening of the second barrel unless a vacuum diaphragm allows it..... 

Old petrol sniffers here, will recall 28/36 Webers as 'progressive' twin chokes... My AISAN is a twinchoke too 🙂

Much dismantling is shown in the vids, to relocate the operating spring, to press the other way = thus unlock the second venturi to open across the throttle opening range.

I plan a 'mod' of my own, simply using a heavy wire to 'lock out' the op rod and free the secondary choke operation... No need to dismantle/disturb the carb in situ.

Will report [with piccies] soon.

2sav

You do rialise you will double your fuel usage! at lower revs, It should certainly go like a rocket at the lower end, but will make no difference at higher speed as the second choke would normally be in use by then anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do though John, what is it you always say, Photo's mate :-)

• Haha 1

..... first time up the ramps and total tyre width squeezed on 😉

30769311108_7f84e207f7_c.jpg >> Ramps

43920488664_44875614d2_c.jpg >> Hole

43920512194_995ba6dde7_c.jpg >> Wrap

30769348848_b72e369d82_c.jpg >> Tin

I replaced the cambox gasket

44589348572_69b5775663_c.jpg >> Gasket

..... The old gasket was crushed flat and brittle hard. I got new tophat seals and 4x Sparkplug tube seals >> the old ones were like polomints[hard!]

The hylomar held the new one in + a squidge on the face should get it all oiltight

2sav

• Like 1

Those on here with 'older models'.... Calling all 4A-F[E] drivers 😉

This guy built a tough motor for his Corolla All-Trac..

http://forum.alltracwagon.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?v-print/m-1301874383/

It is very interesting, as technical overview and illustrating head mods - ports are in need of work!!

I used to mod my Hillman Imps, port n polish, so getting to see this guys work SPECIFICALLY ON A 4A-F... and findings, is magic 👍

I'm unlikely to get my own head polished but it's good to see how it might be done.

2sav

• Thanks 1

Very interesting John, thanks for that mate. Like you I did some of that stuff when I was younger, can't be bothered now, want to go faster? buy a bigger engine :-)

• Thanks 1