Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm in for the LONG HAUL... :<)

tooSavvy

......& Happy New Year.

With a Toyota?, no surprises there! 

2sav

• 2 weeks later...

Windscreen wiper time again....

I have previously 'renewed' tired rubber inserts with the guts of Poondland ones, quite successfully in the main.

Over the last week my screen has become smeary and a quick blast of the washers leaves me blinded for a few seconds... Not Good!

Refusing to splurge £20 @Halfrauds I tried B&M.. Branded as 'RAC'/ orange packaging.

s-l400.jpg

... despite not having an O-level in Airfix Construction I managed to identify the one, among about 10, plastic clips for my 'hoop hook-on' arm end!

18" was £2.99 and 22" £4.99..... £8 for a pair when car shops want more for just the ONE!

Excellent swish n clear...... See how we are in six months.

2sav

• Like 1

Update#

FFS!! I ran the old girl through our ASDA wash thisafternoon... Flailing spongebob finger bristles just ripped the ffinn end off the nearside wiper [actually the press on/clip moulding - that keeps all the individual sections together].

The rubber wiper blade is now loose, to creep out of the arm and likely fly away....

Into B&M and another £2.99 gets me 18" refresh...

Next time I use this wash I'm going to get a "rear wiper cover poly bag".... Slop it over this NS wiper :<)

2sav

• Like 1

House/Tip duties....

Sadly, our postcode lends to a low level 'cretin interface' risk.

I went to the bottom of our yard and discovered some twunt had kicked in our short wooden access gate.

I swiftly conducted a recce of nearby back lanes and found an abandoned wooden pallet.... It won't go in car but I have a sack barrow to get it moved.

Having remade the gate, using the spars teased off the pallet, I need to dispose of the carcase... Still won't fit in the car!

Swiftly dispatched into half a dozen chunks, using my trusty circular saw, It was 'tetris arranged' into my boot >> along with the old smashed up gate >> and shot off to the dump.

It has a VERY BIG boot!!

2sav

Sounds like you made good on the gate, but why do people not just leave stuff alone.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a bit windy of L8 😞

49542992256_d8cc1ea9d8.jpg

..... chunk of cement chimney 'flashing grout' landed on my blummin roof!!

Well, at least it didn't smash my moonroof/rear window..... Not really the up-side I find entirely heartening  >> bumh#ts & Grrrrrrrr

2sav

Hi 2Sav,

Cracking thread! I too am the proud owner of a Carina II (a '91 XL Windsor Liftback in my case) - I'm based in Lancaster so you may even have seen it about on your travels. Here's a picture of it at the 2019 Festival of the Unexceptional (spotted 3 or 4 other Carina IIs whilst I was there - must be some sort of record!).

FoU.thumb.JPG.fb41d62f54b3a0f997d987ec1ff6939e.JPG

Here's another besides a very rare contemporary stable mate spotted outside a screwfix in Coventry:

IMG_20160801_191631.thumb.jpg.00fc057bebff6a90af3d12546de6c777.jpg

It was my first car and the only car I have owned to date - I bought it for £700 in the Summer of 2010 with 37k on the clock and it was a total minter. Garaged all it's life, consecutive MOTs with only 30 miles covered between them it belonged to a clearly fastidious elderly owner who lived just down the road from my parents and sadly passed away. 

In ten years and ~50,000 miles it has never ever let me down and the only work it's ever needed bar an annual service is a new clutch slave cylinder (car was still driveable, but with about 0.1 mm between clutch fully in and out!) and a new rad last year. It's still a great runner and regularly makes the trip from Lancaster down to the midlands sitting quite happily at an indicated 90ish for a couple of hours 😁. It just needs some TLC to make it mint again - I'm assembling parts to get some work done this summer, main jobs to be done are:

- Replace spring & dampers all round (lowering spring or standard ride height...?)

- Repair/replace rear bumper (Twisted by an unfortunate impact with a bollard outside the Warwick University Physics department circa 2012...)

- Replace oil cooler hard lines (look absolutely buggered but don't seem to be leaking)

Budget permitting:

- Upgrade to 15" wheels so I can find some better tyres (Still had the original Dunlop SP7s on it when I bought it - drove beautifully on them, ancient Cooper Sportmaster GLEs don't quite compare)

- Find someone reputable to fabricate a new SS exhaust from the manifold back and replace manifold heat shield (stilll available from Toyota :)). 

These really are cracking motors - must be the high water mark in terms of engineering quality and durability, not that the modern stuff is bad by any means. Speak to any Taxi driver that was working in the early/mid 90s and they'll tell you legendary stories of Carina IIs with 2 billion miles on the clock that served as taxis for 3 generations of the same family! Seem to have a big following in Ireland and decent ones easily go for £1000+ these days - not bad to get more back in your pocket than you originally laid out after ten years of trouble free motoring! Try doing that with a new Audi....

Right I did come on here to ask you a question - I see you had the suspension replaced on your car shortly after buying it - can I ask what parts you used? I was thinking of going with KYB as they seem to be the choice for OEM replacement Jap stuff...I believe Toyota also possibly own part of the company but that may be BS.

Cheers,
Matt

PS Annoyingly some of the pictures from your earlier posts have been blurred out - don't suppose there's anyway you can restore them? This is quite a useful resource for anyone else with a Carina II!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Matt & thanks......

MicksGarage [Ireland] got me everything for dampers/arb bushings/arb droplinks. The front dampers are a 'screw-in' insert!

I am standard ride height.... My OZ alloys + tyre combo is exactly factory 13" tyre rolling diameter. VW 4x100 stud pattern.

A lad over on RetroRides fitted twingo. just a slightly lower et, tyres are 185 65 14. Plain steel.

*note: The 2.0L are 5stud.

I'm trying to source a factory 'boot lid spoiler' for the saloon.... Mine already specced as front chin-lip.... God "rocky horse poo" they are!!

Sorry some piccies are knakked... Photo#uckit did for some and (on this forum) we can't re-edit past entries to renew links.

Glad you have seen other C2s about.... Here in Newcastle I'm deffo the only one.

2sav

Are you in the UK Carina owners facebook group? There's a guy on there (Majid) who has some parts - not sure about a spoiler but worth an ask. I bought an original Windsor bumper from him (also rare as!). Some early models came with a three piece aero style ramp spoiler which looked pretty cool. I'd love a set of the logo'd floor mats and mud flaps for mine!

Cheers - I was thinking 15s as they're the smallest wheel size that still has a decent range of tyres available, I suppose because a lot of 80s/90s performance cars came with 15"s. That'll be a finishing touch though - need to stop it sounding like the struts are going to pop through the bonnet every time I drive over a speed bump first. 

I picked up an original press pack for the Carina II for extra sad !Removed! factor - I'll scan and upload it when I get chance. 

IMG_20200220_162528__01__01.jpg

Coming up to 30yo, now basking in the raucous rust bath which is 'the NE' 😕 , I can see some scabbiness on the rear suspension arms (well sprayed with corrosion resisting gloop notwithstanding)... I'm just saying...

48710-20060 & 48720-20050 .... Different sides.

30846533.jpg

Anyone have a crocked 87 - 91 Carina/Camry/Lexus ? = all same part :)

I think a clean/sound pair 'on the shelf' might be good strategy >> on the car, even better!

2sav

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

• 5 weeks later...

....... New Guy coming aboard soon.

Hit him up on RetroRides, from Russia. Carina II

Has two cars. The famed/rocky horse 'Sunroof delete/A.C. option SALOON'.... #&@!!%&£ bloodyhell!

BTCC replica in the making, there 😉

Hope he pops up soon

#timrussia on RR

2sav

So hello everyone. I am very happy to be here. Probably it will be necessary to talk about car repair? There are a lot of photos, but I'm new to this site, so I probably need to create my own separate forum or something: D But, if it will be possible to write here, then of course I will do it)IMAG4715.thumb.jpg.eff7f436fc14aeb7125eac24fb12bd4a.jpg

For startet, ill probably show my fathers car. SC equipment 

7Sb9Wj1neOE.jpg

I6YGw-0K_6E.jpg

z6Y_ol5HF8Y.jpg

Photos when we come to her for the firts time.

We were told,that she had been with the owner for more than 10 years. But last inspection took place in 2004 :)

IMAG4613.jpg

IMAG4611.jpg

IMAG4605.jpg

IMAG4606.jpg

IMAG4598.jpg

IMAG4594.jpg

IMAG4614.jpg

IMAG4616.jpg

IMAG4617.jpg

IMAG4623.jpg

IMAG4627.jpg

IMAG4715.jpg