Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecu transmission problem help please

jako999

Hi all our 2002 rav4 has developed the gear change problem and over rev going into 3rd gear, I have re soldered all the larger resistors that everyone on YouTube say to do but the fault is still there? Do you have to actually replace them or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

It will be your ECU which is faulty, it's a well known fault with this year of RAV 4.

ECU Testing at Belper are the guys to sort you out. Remove the unit (behind the glove box) and send to them. They will sort it and return very quickly.

Their are many threads on this subject on here. Whatever else you do, the ECU requires rectification.

A lot of members on here have found that the best cure is to send the ECU away to be 're flashed'.  

I cannot recall exactly where you send it (somewhere in Derbyshire I think). Do a search on this forum for the problem and you will find the details of where to send it.

I understand they do a very quick turnaround at a reasonable cost with a lifetime guarantee. Quote this forum and you will get a small discount.

Word of warning, do not drive with this gear box fault. It will quickly turn into a new auto box.

Good luck

BJB

Annawong  

You beat me to it

Bryan

Hi all thanks for that it looks like I will have to send it away as i have replaced the resistors which is the common fault and this has changed the way it is working but not fixxed it it as all ok but slips between 2nd and 3rd and I cant find anything else about any other bits to fix so may be it now just wants a remap? Toyota will not remap it and say its just a replacment unit.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota will happily sell you a new ECU c/w new autobox but only after the failing box has totally destroyed itself (which it will do in very short order if you continue driving it) - about £3k+. In the US, Toyota recalled the affected cars and repaired them FoC, presumably to avoid a class action in the US courts. Not in Europe however where dealers simply deny any knowledge of the problem. In all my years of dealing with Toyota during which I got excellent service, I find their attitude in this particular respect totally disgraceful. Clearly the jerks at Toyota GB have driven that particular policy!

Having your ECU re-flashed by ECUtesting in Heanor for about £300-ish and with a lifetime guarantee, is a no-brainer. I had our previous 02-reg 4.2 done by them and it was perfect afterwards.

Hopefully you will by now have had it done. If not, I'd guess that the box is shrapnel and Mr. T is off-loading another unnecessary box & ECU!

• 3 weeks later...

I have fitted the repaired ecu today and it works, as you all said it would after sending it to them for repair. I took it for a spin about 10 miles and all was well apart from the fuel mpg was well down but I will have to do a few more miles to let it all reset.

The car is getting old and we should really change it but its my wifes car who is disabled and the car is perfect for her we have test drived others but there is always something that is not quite right like seat hight or bolsters or even door weights.

Thanks again for the adviceearn it self

Jacko,

That's very good news! Your vehicle will now give you many miles of untroubled transmission issues, believe me.

And why would you change it when it suits your wife so well? particularly now the auto is sorted. If it's any help, mine (a 2001 GX RAV 4) has now done almost 160,000 miles with regular, on time engine oil & filter changes and is purring as good as new. I had the ECU issue at about 95,000 miles when the vehicle was new to me, once sorted, no further problems! ECU Testing guarantee their work for life anyway.

Other stuff like brakes, tyres, batteries etc. and other consumables need dealing with whatever vehicle you have. As your wife likes her RAV and it suits her so much, why change it?

Regards

ANNAWONG