Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

ZPM Wierd noise detected in our 2010 Prius

ZPM

Hi everyone.

Just a quick question. My other half has a Prius (2010 model) and has noted that it has started to make a low - toned wining noise, especially when the air - con is on. This wan't a feature before and we're wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Could this be the onset of a problem that the garage needs to be contacted about? There are no warning lights displayed, and no other signs that the car is distressed in any way.

Thoughts please?

Many thanks and have a nice day.

ZPM

The AC pump is electric and gets noisier the more work it has to do. So when it's really hot outside and you set the temperature low, then the pump will normally be noisy. To test this turn the temperature up, if the noise decreases then it's normal.

I had a similar whirring noise at low speed (particularly noticeable when stationary) on my Mk1 Auris hybrid until earlier this week. I took it in for an a/c service because it seemed weak and it hadn't been done for a couple of years and the noise has gone now. Presumably the refrigerant and/or lubricant had gotten low and the compressor was having to work hard as a consequence. Either way its much quieter and colder now so the service seems to have sorted it.

Could it be the fan for the HV Battery kicking in?  I tend to hear mine more when its hot outside, sounds like a faint whine, and an air rushing noise as the air is sucked in through the vent in the rear door pillar.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Thanks for your responses, guys. I'll definitely keep my ears open and ask the garage if they serviced the air-con. WIll also keep an eye on the HV Battery.

Thanks again. ZPM

• 3 weeks later...

In the hot weather (car must be reporting +29 C or higher I found, and not driven that day in my case) shortly after turning on the AC fan and the blower fan, the main car radiator fan fires up causing the car to sound very noisy indeed! With the blower fan set to max it sounds like a gas turbine is running from outside.

Not sure what the Prius is doing but based on the date of the post, I would guess it is something similar.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links