Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DAB radio

Click65

I know that DAB radios have uncertain reception depending where you are. I have a DAB radio in my 2016 model.

Even though the handbook says I can select, the process is so obscure and the handbook not helpful. I don't want to have pop music all the time I would like to select BBC RADIO 4EXtra (DAB channel). I know that reception can be uncertain but I have been receiving first class DAB reception on a portable but not a jot when I try to tune the above in via the fitted radio. Any ideas?

What is the secret?

Click65

Well to start the DAB radio in the Aygo does seem to work very well rarely, if ever, cutting out due to signal loss. With regard to your posting – I’m not sure what you are asking and what mean by “select”? Do you mean save stations like BBC Radio 4Extra as a favourite? If you do this then you can “select” it just by pressing one of the virtual buttons. The process for doing this s reasonably straightforward. Maybe if you clarify we can help.

• 6 months later...

I have a similar problem with my new 2017 Aygo x play, and the stations I am picking up seem very limited, but fine in FM.  My husband has a 2017 Yaris with DAB and can pick up the stations I want, so don't understand why I'm unable to pick them up.  Is there a way of auto tuning the DAB that I am not aware of!  I can't find anything of help in the owners manual.  I have the standard radio with DAB, not any of the multimedia systems like my husbands Yaris has.

On 10/08/2016 at 9:01 AM, Click65 said:

I would like to select BBC RADIO 4EXtra

Aren't we posh?

I've never had a car that's had DAB Radio and had it work well. I'd rather stick to FM/AM stations and get the podcast of shows that would be on DAB only.

U use my dab every day 

it works well ... never had any drop outs And the sound quality is much better than fm 

maybe its a where you live thing ... i.e. Signal strengthens etc 

• Like 1

We don't have any trouble receiving DAB - although we do live within 5.5 miles of the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

The hold of Sheffield and surround are a right ball ache for reception!

And the natural stone buildings don't help either...

Dab radio is of awful quality it very top end and very little in the way of low frequencies

you shouldn't expect too much though as a lot of Dab stations are transmitted in MONO

i listen to smooth in the car if i flick between FM & Dab the quality of sound is far superior

on the Fm channel, here is an extract from techradar

Did you know, for instance, that many DAB radio stations in the UK are broadcast at just 64kbps mono using the MP2 codec? Do not adjust your screen that really is just 64kbps. That really is mono not stereo. That really is MP2 and not MP3.

To put that into context, MP2 is a less efficient codec than MP3, so that 64kbps figure is more like 48kbps in MP3. And that, TechRadar reader, is actually offensive.

• Like 2

I agree. I've swapped between the two and find FM appears crisper so generally stick with that. It all depends on the station though as some broadcast in better bitrates than others. It's a bit like digital TV, some channels are awful with lots of digital blocking when there's a lot going on.

• Like 1

I must admit I've never had a problem with reception.  My main issue with the  DAB is the non scrolling text ... how someone could design this and then be happy with their work is beyond comprehension. 

My main issue with the  DAB is the non scrolling text ...

On my last vehicle a 2012 avensis, the DAB radio was non scrolling as well, I just put it down to a cheaper radio than was fitted at the factory. The scrolling text works fine on the latest edition. 

Maybe fixed in the latest Aygo (but I doubt it)...

Like the blindingly obviously problem of a  lack of  a clock on the Nav screen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 8:19 PM, Dark Matter said:

I must admit I've never had a problem with reception.  My main issue with the  DAB is the non scrolling text ... how someone could design this and then be happy with their work is beyond comprehension. 

Also the text is too big and with "Now Playing:" taking up half of the space, it compounds the non-scrolling issue. They should use a smaller font for this section of the screen maybe even drop the Now Playing text. Having it wrap onto the next line would be my preference over scrolling.

• 4 years later...

I have noticed ONE thing with the audio system in the Toyota Aygo X-Clusiv.... The DAB radio sounds absolutely awful and all the usual 'stereo' services are ALL in MONO on this head unit. I have been a user of DAB radio at home for the last 20 years or so and I have had a few after market head units in different cars...and they have all sounded fine...BUT the audio quality on these head units on DAB is absolutely awful. It sounds more like Medium Wave radio with a lot of high end treble....That is the only way I can describe it. I am hugely disappointed in the audio quality of DAB on the Aygo X-Clusiv models. Not sure if this is a faulty head unit as such but FM sounds absolutely great... DAB reception is fine with no issues at all apart from the very very poor audio quality... 

On 3/14/2017 at 8:04 PM, Cjohnston1982 said:

I agree. I've swapped between the two and find FM appears crisper so generally stick with that. It all depends on the station though as some broadcast in better bitrates than others. It's a bit like digital TV, some channels are awful with lots of digital blocking when there's a lot going on.

I agree totally... DAB audio quality is absolutely dire in every sense... Even on DAB+ where most stations are in stereo such as 'Capital Dance' (Including others) are ALL in MONO on this unit and the audio quality can only be described as like listening to Medium Wave with lots of treble.... FM sounds so much better on this head unit. They have done nothing to praise DAB at all on this system.... 

In north west Cheshire, 6 miles from Chester, I get good reception for DAB. Alas I too do not get scrolling text on the radio screen, and that is in the top end Prius Excel which cost someone £28k when new (not me, I don’t buy new cars). However the car does have 10 speaker JBL sound system which sounds great. Perhaps to get good sound in the Aygo some different Speakers are needed, depends what sort off sound you want at what cost.

7 hours ago, Andy Carlton said:

I have noticed ONE thing with the audio system in the Toyota Aygo X-Clusiv.... The DAB radio sounds absolutely awful and all the usual 'stereo' services are ALL in MONO on this head unit. I have been a user of DAB radio at home for the last 20 years or so and I have had a few after market head units in different cars...and they have all sounded fine...BUT the audio quality on these head units on DAB is absolutely awful. It sounds more like Medium Wave radio with a lot of high end treble....That is the only way I can describe it. I am hugely disappointed in the audio quality of DAB on the Aygo X-Clusiv models. Not sure if this is a faulty head unit as such but FM sounds absolutely great... DAB reception is fine with no issues at all apart from the very very poor audio quality... 

I think you must have a faulty radio - I have an x-clusiv delivered in October 2020 and DAB is most definitely in stereo, plus the quality is better than it was in a Skoda Octavia I had at the same time.

I used to live in North Devon, now live in Wiltshire and travel frequently to Northamptonshire.

I was always under the impression that in the UK scrolling DAB text had to be disabled as it could be distracting when driving.

17 minutes ago, G L J said:

I was always under the impression that in the UK scrolling DAB text had to be disabled as it could be distracting when driving.

Nope it always has worked for me no matter the marque, it may be off as default in one of the menus

9 hours ago, Andy Carlton said:

what software version do you have ? There is a known issue with early xTouch models, have you retuned the DAB ? i would also check the aerial on the roof is secure and there are no splits it the coating on the whip

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 9:53 AM, G L J said:

On 3/28/2022 at 10:18 AM, flash22 said:

Nope it always has worked for me no matter the marque, it may be off as default in one of the menus

Same here scrolling text on DAB, and in FM, has works in all the cars I've owned (Toyota, Citroen, Renault, Audi & Skoda)

D.A.B. isn't a big deal for me.  My last two cars had it and I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

I only listen to Radio2 and I can get that anywhere in the country on FM so no need for D.A.B.

1 hour ago, Stivino said:

D.A.B. isn't a big deal for me.  My last two cars had it and I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

I only listen to Radio2 and I can get that anywhere in the country on FM so no need for D.A.B.

Each to their own - I haven't listened to FM since 2016 (AM even longer), found I prefer listening to stations that are only on DAB.

On 3/10/2017 at 2:59 PM, Bitch1001 said:

U use my dab every day 

it works well ... never had any drop outs And the sound quality is much better than fm 

maybe its a where you live thing ... i.e. Signal strengthens etc 

...same here, my DAB reception is first class! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NorthantsRob said:

...same here, my DAB reception is first class! 

I have no issues either.

• Like 1