Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Touring Hybrid Tyre Wear

Joe2014

My Auris Touring Sport 1.8 Hybrid Excel Auto has now done 31000 miles and at my 30000 mile service the dealer said there was at least another 5000 miles left on all four tyres. The tyres are Dunlop 225 45 R 17 Sport SP Fast Response. So 35000 on a set of tyres seems good to me when my previous C Max needed a new set after 24000 miles. Is this normal tyre wear for an Auris?

I can get them replaced by KwikFit or Halfords for around 90 pounds a tyre which seems reasonable, does anyone know of a better tyre to fit or where I can get them fitted cheaper? 

Joe

tyre are a personal preference,look at the tyre rating they list the following

fuel , wet braking & noise level,there is no reason to have a tyre that isn't fuel eficient

as this defeats the object of a hybrid,on my lecus i have michelin cross climates all round

when the auris hybrid needs some tyres i wont hesitate in buying some for her also.

• Like 1

I've recently acquired a (lightly used) Excel Hybrid TS. Mine is Bronze too. Liking it greatly.

One thing I'm not totally satisfied with are the tyres. Those same Dunlop SP Sport FastResponses. They produce a lot of noise on 'textured' road surfaces. The car is super quiet on really smooth surfaces, but much much more noisy on everything else - it seems to be tyre noise!  

Really strangely, IMHO, for factory fit tyres on the hybrid, they seem to be Euro-rated as only Band E on Fuel Efficiency/Rolling Resistance. That is in the "91" load rating, as fitted. The heavier load "94" rates better, as Band C on fuel. 

They (the 91's) rate as Band B for wet braking, And mid-level on (external) noise. The 94 is quieter too, but worse on wet braking and price! (On Blackcircles.com anyway.)

Strangely I'm less than delighted to learn that my tyres might last as far as 35,000 miles ... !  

I'd like to fit CrossClimates, but 4x £93.64 (Blackcircles, fully fitted) seems a lot for something that isn't strictly necessary. 

They are Euro-labelled as being better on fuel (C), wet braking (A) and external noise. (Note that there is no Band D for Fuel Efficiency, so the Dunlops are only one grade worse.)

They have the reputation of being quiet, comfortable and rather long-lived - quite apart from the snow traction getting them official 'snow tyre' accreditation (as required on some Euro roads in winter). The only criticism I've seen was regarding aquaplaning in very deep water - but I can't see them being significantly worse on that than other 'summer' tyres of the same size. 

So, looks like quieter and a little bit better all round, but £370, and really not needed yet ... not least for the snow-grip! :smile:

What are four barely-used Dunlops worth? :unsure:

• Like 1

beekeeper dougal ,my car is rear wheel drive so having the Cross Climates gives the additional benefit of being a winter tyre aswell

on our 13 plate Auris hybrid we dont have a traction off button so the CC's will aid traction and help keep kath moving in winter time

as once the wheels start to spin power is cut instantly then your stuck.

i am going to show her how to get into certifciation mode as this turns traction control off but should only be used to get you out of trouble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beekeeper D said:

What are four barely-used Dunlops worth? 

Nothing in my view as I wouldn't buy part used tyres.

49 minutes ago, eygo said:

on our 13 plate Auris hybrid we dont have a traction off button so the CC's will aid traction and help keep kath moving in winter time

as once the wheels start to spin power is cut instantly then your stuck.

i am going to show her how to get into certifciation mode as this turns traction control off but should only be used to get you out of trouble.

Yes, aware of the Traction Control 'issue' - no switch on my 14 plate either. (Facelift adds the switch.)

I've not yet tried to replicate the "maintenance mode" tapdance that I've seen illustrated to turn off TC for the Prius. Is it exactly the same for the Auris? 

It shouldn't be an issue during August in Kent, but it could become important for a Christmas trip to Geneva. Which would also justify and trigger those Crossclimates! 

when i had my CT200h the certification mode was the same as the prius.

ignition on

in park accelerator fully press down x 3 times

in neutral accelerator fully press down x 3 times

only use to get yourself moving again then turn off ignition then restart car

• Like 1

Guys,

Thanks for your responses - much appreciated, I will  definitely consider the cross climate tyres,  as to the Dunlop tyres being noisy, I agree, that is totally accurate. as to fuel consumption, my car since new has averaged around 52 MPG, I drive the car in Eco mode and only occasionally use the Power mode, fuel consumption is higher in winter than summer - could it be the greater use of lights / headlights using up more Battery ? I dont know, I also notice that sometimes a change of fuel supplier helps, generally I use Morrisons but have noticed that Tesco fuel seems to be better for fuel consumption, so how much tyres influence consumption I am not sure.

Thanks again

Joe

I've just gone over 20k in mine and the tyres are about half worn. Been really impressed with them and will definitely put the same on next time. Haven't really noticed anything untoward on road surfaces but I'm used to an Octavia VRS on cheap tyres.

14 hours ago, eygo said:

when i had my CT200h the certification mode was the same as the prius.

ignition on

in neutral accelerator fully press down x 3 times

only use to get yourself moving again then turn off ignition then restart car

We are WAY off topic, but many thanks for this. 

When you wrote "ignition on", it might be clearer to say "on-but-not-Ready (two presses on the power button with feet off the pedals)" and then after all the tapdancing, foot on brake pedal and press power to start, allowing you to drive without Traction Control to get out of the stuck situation. 

Confirmed that it works a treat on my pre-facelift Auris Hybrid TS.

Gives me "CERTIFICATION MODE" on the middle display. (And the "No TC" warning light!)

Normality was indeed restored by powering off and restarting normally. 

And for future readers, we should include the comment somewhere that expensive internal damage can be caused by using this too much or for too long. It is strictly a "get me unstuck" mode that needs to be cancelled as soon as safely possible. 

And a TC switch would be so much easier ... :smile: ... but this knowledge takes away the worry of the lack of that switch. Thanks again.