Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil Queries

Yarisfur

Hi, I am a recent owner of a lovely Toyota Yaris 1.4 D-4D, 2005.

When I bought the car a couple of weeks ago it had only covered 32,000 miles-ish (just under 3k a year) and I am thinking about changing the oil. Which oil would be best for performance/longetivity? I saw the manual recommended 5w30 semi-synthetic but read on here fully synthetic would be better?

Also should I get the oil flushed or just topped up? I'm unsure of what oil it's currently running on. Thanks for your help.

I would assume that the car has been topped up with 5w30 as per what Toyota say, so I would stick with that. The car isn't high milleage so I would just stick with what's recommended.

Just now, mickburkesnr said:

I would assume that the car has been topped up with 5w30 as per what Toyota say, so I would stick with that. The car isn't high milleage so I would just stick with what's recommended.

Thanks for the reply. I may do just that and wait for its next service to get the filter/oil replaced.

8 hours ago, Yarisfur said:

Thanks for the reply. I may do just that and wait for its next service to get the filter/oil replaced.

With that low mileage has it been serviced every year or only had 'mileage' services? And who did the services?

If it hasn't had the full service schedule or it's always been done by a 'local' I'd get it done now and personally I'd use a Toyota for this one at least as there maybe recalls, etc outstanding.

2 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

With that low mileage has it been serviced every year or only had 'mileage' services? And who did the services?

If it hasn't had the full service schedule or it's always been done by a 'local' I'd get it done now and personally I'd use a Toyota for this one at least as there maybe recalls, etc outstanding.

It's been serviced on a time basis (every 9 months, doing just 2000 miles between) and each time had oil pollen and fuel filter replaced

22 hours ago, Yarisfur said:

It's been serviced on a time basis (every 9 months, doing just 2000 miles between) and each time had oil pollen and fuel filter replaced

OK. Sounds like it's been well cared for. I'd still be inclined to spend a few minutes on the Toyota website to check for any outstanding recalls as there have been a few (though not certain about your car), such as throttle sensor and window switches, and of course the ubiquitous air-bag issue which as an older car yours should be high on the list by now if it's affected.

1 minute ago, MikeSh said:

OK. Sounds like it's been well cared for. I'd still be inclined to spend a few minutes on the Toyota website to check for any outstanding recalls as there have been a few (though not certain about your car), such as throttle sensor and window switches, and of course the ubiquitous air-bag issue which as an older car yours should be high on the list by now if it's affected.

Thanks very much for your help, how would I go about checking for recalls? would I have to enter my reg/VIN somewhere?

thank you very much. turns out mine does need a recall after all, will get this sorted asap

Screenshot_2016-08-17-21-24-23-01.png

That's really annoying that it doesn't say what the actual recall(s) is/are. I thought it did in the past.

May not be a recall - could be a voluntary customer service campaign (not a safety issue). For example the IQ has recently been subject to a voluntary customer service campaign for the exhaust manifold.

Doing that check on our car brings up the same message and I know that it's queued for the airbag recall. (Unfortunately I've lost/chucked the advanced warning letter we had and I can't remember if it was from DVLA or Toyota, though I think it was the DVLA. The letter said we would be contacted at a later date for the work to be done.)

DVSA operate the recall system. Recall letters are usually sent by the manufacturer using owner information (names and addresses) supplied by DVLA. 

DVSA and DVLA are both agencies of the Department of Transport.

I think that message is standard now. The problem in telling people exactly what issue is outstanding is they make their own mind up on if or when to bring the car in, for example I have heard people say oh well it can be done next year when the service is due, when in fact we try and mop up every recall we can so they can be closed off as soon as possible. You will get a letter as well if the car is due a safety recall. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Parts-King said:

I think that message is standard now. The problem in telling people exactly what issue is outstanding is they make their own mind up on if or when to bring the car in, for example I have heard people say oh well it can be done next year when the service is due, when in fact we try and mop up every recall we can so they can be closed off as soon as possible. You will get a letter as well if the car is due a safety recall. 

Fair enough.

From the OP's point of view, if a recall letter was sent to the previous owner who did not act on it, will the OP get a repeat letter having registered as the new owner (or keeper I should probably say)?

Thanks guys for all of your help so far.

I have a query about servicing, this is the first car I've got and I really want to look after it. Would it be better to go to a main Toyota service dealership (my nearest one being Colchester), or should I scope out a good, reputable mechanic/other garage service? Keeping in mind I probably won't be selling the car on (using it until its death).

The only thing I'm worried about re third party garages is if they'll use genuine parts, or sub-par parts to save money.

Toyota have recently introduced a cheaper servicing scheme for vehicles aged five years plus called Toyota Essential Care which makes them more competitive with independent garages. See

On 8/20/2016 at 9:59 PM, MikeSh said:

Fair enough.

From the OP's point of view, if a recall letter was sent to the previous owner who did not act on it, will the OP get a repeat letter having registered as the new owner (or keeper I should probably say)?

When a recall is announced, Toyota tell the DVLA what vehicles are affected, and the DVLA pass a list of owners to Toyota who then mail those people. If somebody chooses not to have the work done, or sells the car on, then further mailings will take place later on, with a new list of owners. Imagine how many cars are changing hands every day, lists of owners will soon become out of date. The database is constantly updated as claims are submitted.

12 hours ago, Parts-King said:

When a recall is announced, Toyota tell the DVLA what vehicles are affected, and the DVLA pass a list of owners to Toyota who then mail those people. If somebody chooses not to have the work done, or sells the car on, then further mailings will take place later on, with a new list of owners. Imagine how many cars are changing hands every day, lists of owners will soon become out of date. The database is constantly updated as claims are submitted.

Thanks for clarifying that.

• 2 weeks later...

Re airbags recall I've just received another letter from DVSA (definitely, not DVLA) saying, basically, "It's 41 million cars, 24 car manufacturers, we still don't have the parts, we'll be in touch when they are available, don't hold your breath". OK, the last four words are my interpretation :smile: 

Like I say, its a massive recall. Just because you haven't had a letter doesn't mean you can't go to your dealer, get a job card raised up, and order the parts now for you. You don't have to wait for the letter to arrive. Speak to your dealer who will order the bits and call you when they are in, to be fair, the ones I am ordering have not been taking too long to arrive recently  

59 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Re airbags recall I've just received another letter from DVSA (definitely, not DVLA) saying, basically, "It's 41 million cars, 24 car manufacturers, we still don't have the parts, we'll be in touch when they are available, don't hold your breath". OK, the last four words are my interpretation :smile: 

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) came about when the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) and Driver Standards Agency (DSA) were merged in April 2014. The recall system is one of the responsibilities of DVSA. Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) are responsible for driver and vehicle licensing, and Vehicle Excise Duty.

Both DVSA and DVLA are executive agencies of the Dept for Transport.

Where a recall is instigated, DVSA oversee the process and arrange for DVLA to supply owner details to the manufacturer. The manufacturer, using a letter format agreed with DVSA and often using the DVSA logo, write to those owners who may have affected vehicles, and where the recall involves a lengthy process, will keep owners updated using a format agreed with DVSA.

So, your letter may have the DVSA logo, but it will be from Toyota, using owner information provided by DVLA via DVSA.

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So, your letter may have the DVSA logo, but it will be from Toyota, using owner information provided by DVLA via DVSA.

Yes, you're right. Looking again the top left is the DVSA logo, but the other corner is Toyota. Some of the wording sounds a bit more like it's Toyota speaking as well.

4 hours ago, Parts-King said:

You don't have to wait for the letter to arrive. Speak to your dealer who will order the bits and call you when they are in, to be fair, the ones I am ordering have not been taking too long to arrive recently  

I'm really not that bothered to be honest; the car is clearly in the system and I think it's one of the less likely causes of my death or injury at present, so I'll just wait for the notice. :smile: