Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New car - needs gearbox! Help

maiden

So I bought a 2002 MR2 1.8 yesterday.. .on the drive home it was making a noise - long story short it needs a new gearbox

Can anyone assist with a) what version/type I need to look out for is it picky/reg dependant, b) good suppliers c) does anyone have one?

Presuming 6 speed is no good on this 5 speed car?

Being quoted £250 so far, still looking

Thanks

£250 is good. Also factor in a new clutch. Better to change it whilst the gearbox is out.

It seems that the MR2 in from 2002 until the end of production had 6 speed.

I have think it may be possible to install a 6 speed gearbox. Just make sure the drive shafts and mountings are the same. The gear shift and cable are the same but have the donor selector just in case. Don't forget the 6 speed gear knob 

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2002/mr2/zzw30r-akfqhw/3_211230_011_/powertrain-chassis/3312_shift-lever-retainer

The extra gear will be worth it, as it does give a higher top gear, instead of closing the ratios in the Celica. Compare the following links.

http://www.cars-data.com/en/toyota-mr2-1.8-16v-vvt-i-special-edition-specs/48663

http://www.cars-data.com/en/toyota-mr2-1.8-16v-vvt-i-special-edition-specs/48665

I can't help you with transmission suppliers unfortunately.

When you bought the car, did you test it with the roof down, and was the test short at low speeds? All these conditions make it hard to detect any noises. 

Was the sale private or from a trade? You have more clout with trade.

P.S. 

I read your other post and think you love the sporty cars plus a bit of a project. I can't comment on the lightness of steering, having no experience of MR2.

bought from a trader but to cover his **** he put spares or repairs on the receipt

Thanks fro the feedback, will go with a five speed to avoid any problems as its a garage doing the work

Yep, going for a clutch too an that gives us more warranty if the next gearbox blows, we can blame the work/clutch and get some cover (so the mechanic says)

• Like 1

I assume are familiar with the 1ZZ engine oil burning issue? Hopefully yours is not one of them as not all were affected. There are plenty of scrap post 2005 cars with good (updated) engines out there. 

What was the oil level like? Keep an eye on it!

No sorry I don't. The oil level was fine. 

How did this effect the gear box? Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links