Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unleaded Only?

Neil Clark

MR2 Turbo

Can a car running completly standard boost be run on "normal" unleaded all the time? what are the effects if any? anyone do it?

Thanks

Neil

from what i have gathered... Rev1 and rev2 seem to struggle with 95 octane (unleaded)...

Rev 3's like mine .. thankfully seem to run a lot better with it...

Rev 3's are 1994 onwards...

only ever used to run mty NA on optimax lol :)

those days.. fuel was cheaper... :P

fizz u bum, treat ur girl with respect :P

-Z

I do... i give her a good rub down every Friday night.. and sometimes Sat Mornin.. :lol:

I do... i give her a good rub down every Friday night.. and sometimes Sat Mornin..

was gonna say something naughy but wont as Fizz knows where i live :D :P

Rash.

I do... i give her a good rub down every Friday night.. and sometimes Sat Mornin..

was gonna say something naughy but wont as Fizz knows where i live :D :P

Rash.

that line was an open invitation to more comments... :lol::rolleyes:

So anyone use "normal" unleaded then??

Neil

i have my days... lately ive been throwing in unleaded and i cant really notice all that much difference.. but then it is a rev 3... you still aint answered if your car is Rev 1 2 3 4 or 5?

rev 1 and 2s will normally hit limted boost mode and only hit about 7psi (as opposed to 10) at around 5000rpm when flooring it in 3rd or 4th on normal 95 octane stuff, the car will also be very "rough" and unresponsive at low rpms. Also fuel cosumption will be through the roof under boost as a lot of petrol is just wasted isntead of burned..

Super Unleaded will give better results but it depends where you get it from. Optimax always give you full boost to the + mark and better mileage. BP Ultimate has a similar effect but I've found Optimax to be more consistent.

I've used BP Ultimate and OPtimax. Noticed no difference between the two. I mainly use optimax unless I'm on a motorway somewhere and come across a BP garage first.

I have used superunleaded with octane booster once, because I had no petrol and couldn't really go looking for a Shell/BP garage and that worked fine.

I use normal or optimax and swear blind i can tell no difference, but i suppose optimax is better for the engine. But then again, mines N/A, if i had a turbo it would only run on optimax.

I've had no problems running 95 octane on a Rev 2 Turbo - maybe I'm just lucky. I usually use Super unleaded from leading brands for peace of mind.

my rev 2 HATES 95octane! I feel sorry for it whenever i have to put that crap in it, it feels like im hanging the poor thing. Maybe its just the petrol we get in london :ph34r:

my rev 1 turbo absolutely despises unleaded and hates super unleaded as well. when i picked it up i had to put unleaded in it and i almost took it back to the garage because it ran like an absolute bag of ****, limited boost and felt absolutely gutless, even running super unleaded + octane boosters it'd limit the boost. only optimax is advisable on the turbos esp the rev 1 and 2s.

trouble with unleaded is whilst it may not always seem clear that it is damaging your engine, it more than likely will be and you run an increased chance of it going bang, this is greatly increased if you up the boost whilst running unleaded - you're asking for trouble then

Go Optimax. For £2.50 extra (roughly) per tank, is it worth risking detonation etc.? :!Removed!: